Back to basics

Disturbed Postie

Re: Back to basics

Postby Disturbed Postie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Birdman wrote:
Disturbed Postie wrote:I used to bring a dramatic radio to games for latest scores till about 1987 when I was 16, I remember a copper saying to me "oi Young Man, come here", the tortoise head appeared thinking I was in trouble then he said , "what's the West Ham score?" He then laughed, bless him!

What's a "dramatic radio"?

Aldershot gas will inform you my little flying computer enthusiast!
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Birdman wrote:
Disturbed Postie wrote:I used to bring a dramatic radio to games for latest scores till about 1987 when I was 16, I remember a copper saying to me "oi Young Man, come here", the tortoise head appeared thinking I was in trouble then he said , "what's the West Ham score?" He then laughed, bless him!

Only worked occasionaly and often acted up :lol:

You forgot the 'boom-boom', Richard. Very good comment though, made me chuckle.
shotshammo

Postby shotshammo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Yes there was a board with the letters of the alphabet on them and key games were allocated, prior to the start of the game.
The interest was great because in those days everyone did the pools. There were lots of different ways you could predict results, 8 draws being the jackpot. On one occasion there were so many draws that a huge amount of people won the jackpot. I wrote the poem because a syndicate in my company "Solartron" were one of the winners.

Where pools rush in

I hear of some lads the pools did win
Then conjured up a life of sin
The money had n’are been sent
The winnings three times over spent

Each in turn did speculate
Till Tuesday came the mournful date
Thoughts, opinions, points of views
Were shattered by ‘The Evening News’

The cheerful, happy, singing bunch
Were silenced with an awful crunch
The sickening truth was told us then
They’d won the sum of £4,10

Now on this tale I will not dwell
The moral sticks out very well
If the pools you think you’ve won
Don’t count your blessings, count the sum

..........................................................................Sept 1966
Aldershot Gas

Postby Aldershot Gas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Birdman wrote:

"Dramatic Radio" - technically the Radio is not 'Dramatic'..... the phrase DP is using really relates to the fact that no-one takes radio's to footy anymore (in order to find out scores from other matches) due to mobile phone internet technology.....therefore taking a Radio to a match now would be very very "dramatic" !!!!!
Disturbed Postie

Postby Disturbed Postie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Aldershot Gas wrote:
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Birdman wrote:

"Dramatic Radio" - technically the Radio is not 'Dramatic'..... the phrase DP is using really relates to the fact that no-one takes radio's to footy anymore (in order to find out scores from other matches) due to mobile phone internet technology.....therefore taking a Radio to a match now would be very very "dramatic" !!!!!

Indeed Mr gas, imagine taking a nipper to a game now with a radio, he would find it DRAMATIC and strange!
Ancient Shot

Postby Ancient Shot » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Maybe even a bit disturbing

Return to “ShotsTalk”