Match Day Thread vs SUTTON

Jimmy Riddle

Re: Match Day Thread vs SUTTON

Postby Jimmy Riddle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Amber SUFC wrote:
86/87 Glory Year wrote:What a strange game!

One of the worst performances of the season and we won 2-0.

Sutton missed 3 sitters and had two goals disallowed. They totally deserved to win the game but they say these things even themselves out over the course of the season.

I wish they did, today was another game where we deserved more on our travels.I will be interested to see your second goal again. It looked a good yard offside :|

I wish you the best of luck in your playoff push.

I think Straker passed to himself if that makes sense and crossed so think he was onside.

Can't stand Collins, but he has looked very solid in both games this season.

Obviously over your side, but surely that was a foul near the end when I think Beckwith went straight through Kanu and it was given a booking?

We were fortunat, but didn't get the run of the green st your place with the sending off, so things even themselves out.

Least u brought a few
chimpster99

Postby chimpster99 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Really odd tactics first half, the midfield triangle turned back to front with Arnold in front of the back four. The guy was totally lost and isn't conditioned to play with the vision that a centre mid role demands. Combined with a toothless Fenelon leading the line up front we were all at sea. Sutton somehow failed to break the deadlock and the rebounded goal off a defender's backside was as threatening as we got.

Normal service was sort of resumed second half, with a more conventional shape and a greater sense of urgency. But it really took the substitutions to light the fire and when Mensah's goal came is was probably just about deserved.

I think GW learned a lot today.

Random and bizarre officiating today, Mr Hair was clearly off with the fairies for most of the game. I ref U7 games on a Saturday morning and could have done a far better job. I swear the awful refs in this division contribute greatly to the waning attendances.
Pip@B

Postby Pip@B » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:50 pm

chimpster99 wrote:Really odd tactics first half, the midfield triangle turned back to front with Arnold in front of the back four. The guy was totally lost and isn't conditioned to play with the vision that a centre mid role demands. Combined with a toothless Fenelon leading the line up front we were all at sea. Sutton somehow failed to break the deadlock and the rebounded goal off a defender's backside was as threatening as we got.

Normal service was sort of resumed second half, with a more conventional shape and a greater sense of urgency. But it really took the substitutions to light the fire and when Mensah's goal came is was probably just about deserved.

Random and bizarre officiating today, Mr Hair was clearly off with the fairies for most of the game. I ref U7 games on a Saturday morning and could have done a far better job. I swear the awful refs in this division contribute greatly to the waning attendances.

It looked like the keeper caught the clearance smack in the face as he scrambled to get back,and it shot into the goal.
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:02 pm

chimpster99 wrote:Really odd tactics first half, the midfield triangle turned back to front with Arnold in front of the back four. The guy was totally lost and isn't conditioned to play with the vision that a centre mid role demands. Combined with a toothless Fenelon leading the line up front we were all at sea. Sutton somehow failed to break the deadlock and the rebounded goal off a defender's backside was as threatening as we got.

Agreed. Such a weird reffing performance.
Booked Benny for clapping him after a very rare free kick award to us and then let off Collins for questioning his parenthood shouting right in his face.
Biast and crooked and another than needs banning from the Rec.
We will be running out of refs soon, but the game could do with the Hairs, Wards and Greeks bearing gifts of this world. (Ward did the Millwall game today, waiting for a report from my Millwall supporting buddy).
ACA

Postby ACA » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Not entirely sure why there was so much of an anti-ref vibe around the ground. The moment he awarded the first free-kick against Aldershot there people around me shouting that he was a joke, he didn't know what he was doing etc and it just carried on from there. The first half we conceded plenty of needless fouls around our own penalty box (not sure the ref can be blamed for that) and he warned Benny about his dissent (I think he thought he'd been fouled on the edge of the box, but it looked like the Sutton defender won the ball pretty cleanly). So having been warned about his dissent, I fail to see why Benny can then have any complaints that he got booked for sarcastically applauding the ref. He also ruled out a well-taken Sutton goal for a foul on one of our defenders.

Personally, I thought the ref had a perfectly average game. Not the best official I've ever seen, but certainly not the worst... and certainly not "biased" or "crooked". I know that football fans will naturally think the referee is against their team every time he gives a decision against them, but there's no need to get hysterical.
Alex

Postby Alex » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:19 pm

I thought the ref was awful.
chimpster99

Postby chimpster99 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:27 pm

[quote="ACA"]Not entirely sure why there was so much of an anti-ref vibe around the ground. The moment he awarded the first free-kick against Aldershot there people around me shouting that he was a joke, he didn't know what he was doing etc and it just carried on from there. The first half we conceded plenty of needless fouls around our own penalty box (not sure the ref can be blamed for that) and he warned Benny about his dissent (I think he thought he'd been fouled on the edge of the box, but it looked like the Sutton defender won the ball pretty cleanly). So having been warned about his dissent, I fail to see why Benny can then have any complaints that he got booked for sarcastically applauding the ref. He also ruled out a well-taken Sutton goal for a foul on one of our defenders.

Personally, I thought the ref had a perfectly average game. Not the best official I've ever seen, but certainly not the worst... and certainly not "biased" or "crooked". I know that football fans will naturally think the referee is against their team every time he gives a decision against them, but there's no need to get hysterical.[/quote]

Free kicks for clean tackles.
No free kicks for bookable offences.
Bookings for basic fouls.
No bookings for instances of GBH.
In one case, no free kick for a two footed tackle from behind.
Climbing seemingly legL today.
Corners instead of goal kicks.
Goal kicks instead of corners.
Throw ins to the wrong team.

Need I go on? He was an absolute disgrace to this league.
ACA

Postby ACA » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 pm

This is precisely what I mean about getting hysterical. I didn't see any "instances of GBH", nor did I see any repeated instances of "corners instead of goal kicks", "goal kicks instead of corners" or "throw ins to the wrong team" (care to give some examples?).

As for the bookings, Benyu was booked for clear and obvious dissent (which he'd already been warned about in the first half), whilst Evans was booked for blatantly tugging one of their players after he'd given the ball away and got beaten for pace - looked like a booking every day of the week. For Sutton, Gomis was booked for a trip on the edge of the box. Like I said before, not the best but not the worst either - certainly not a "disgrace to this league".
Alex

Postby Alex » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Best mate of Holdsworth and Shots reject fatty Collins definitely should have got 2 yellows :!:
Me Mums a Shot

Postby Me Mums a Shot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Did anyone else notice the ref tell Benyou to go and get the ball from near the double gates after we had scored our first and all the players we're celebrating?

Sorry - that's just bizarre!
chimpster99

Postby chimpster99 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:06 pm

[quote="ACA"]This is precisely what I mean about getting hysterical. I didn't see any "instances of GBH", nor did I see any repeated instances of "corners instead of goal kicks", "goal kicks instead of corners" or "throw ins to the wrong team" (care to give some examples?).

As for the bookings, Benyu was booked for clear and obvious dissent (which he'd already been warned about in the first half), whilst Evans was booked for blatantly tugging one of their players after he'd given the ball away and got beaten for pace - looked like a booking every day of the week. For Sutton, Gomis was booked for a trip on the edge of the box. Like I said before, not the best but not the worst either - certainly not a "disgrace to this league".[/quote]

Twice we were awarded corners when we had clearly put the ball out.
Two or three throws over on the north side given the wrong way.
Constant climbing and spells of persistent fouling by Sutton went unpunished.
Beckwith elbow in the back of Rendell's head.
:roll:
A Shot from Wales

Postby A Shot from Wales » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Alex wrote:I thought the ref was awful.

The ref spent most of the game smiling at all of the players and giving words of wisdom - to our players.

He was pretty irritating all afternoon... and of course Benyu should have been booked for the violent double clap of his hands ...while Collins quite rightly received a beautiful grin for his 'violent verbal abuse'...at the time I was one of the many who stood up and shouted, 'you idiot ref'.

I got home to Exmoor a couple of hours ago, and have now fully reviewed and considered my actions.

The ref was an irritating idiot!
Alex

Postby Alex » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:09 am

A Shot from Wales wrote:
Alex wrote:I thought the ref was awful.

The ref spent most of the game smiling at all of the players and giving words of wisdom - to our players.

He was pretty irritating all afternoon... and of course Benyu should have been booked for the violent double clap of his hands ...while Collins quite rightly received a beautiful grin for his 'violent verbal abuse'...at the time I was one of the many who stood up and shouted, 'you idiot ref'.

I got home to Exmoor a couple of hours ago, and have now fully reviewed and considered my actions.

The ref was an irritating idiot!

Yup. He ruined the viewing. Never let the game flow. Chats with captains and players seemed to go on forever!
billyboy

Postby billyboy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:23 am

Very strange game. Ref was absolutely dreadful. Very weird formation first half with Arnold playing CM and it didn't work at all. Hopefully Straker will start against Dagenham. Mensah was terrible first half but improved a little second half. Sutton were very unlucky and if they had taken their chances they could easily have had 3 or 4. Attendance wasnt to bad from us considering the loss against Guiseley whereas I thought Sutton's 200 wasn't particularly impressive. How many did we take in the reverse fixture?
shotshammo

Postby shotshammo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:28 am

Let me upset everyone by saying the tactics were fairly good, having watch the effect the wind had on the match. Both sides never got to grips with the wind when they were kicking straight into it. Rendell would have had no more success in the first half up front and bringing him on at half time with the wind on our backs was the perfect move. They immediately put two defenders on him and suddenly we had more space.
The first goal was, albeit a shade lucky, resulted in our first foray into their six yard box right at the end of the first half and was not expected, but gratefully accepted.
I immediately thought, the second half with the wind at our backs we would win the game comfortably, and so it proved to be correct in one respect, Sutton had no more success than we did in getting it out of their own half and setting up an threatening attacks. We started to play with more conviction and were eventually reward with our second goal, which was always going to be enough to win the game.
Yes we can all say Sutton were unlucky, but they must have realised by half time that by not scoring in the first half, their backs would be against the wall in the second.
In fairness to the ref, there were no vicious fouls and considering the rivalry, the game went quite well.
Yes not a game for the purists I blame the weather, but a 2-0 win I think on reflection we will all take.

Return to “ShotsTalk”