Match Day Thread vs DOVER

SW Shot

Re: Match Day Thread vs DOVER

Postby SW Shot » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Get in, we deserved the three points although it wasn't a classic.
Cagey first half, thought our service into the final third was poor and we struggled to create any good chances.
So much better second half, Dover couldn't cope with our front 4 and Benyu pushed on and got more into the game.
Dover were very disappointing, Reynolds and Evans dealt with Miller so well.
My only criticism of today was that when we get a corner, why don't we just swing it in? The short corners were so frustrating, especially when we've got some big men (Scotty, Evans etc).
We're still right in this, massive win.
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 pm

I honestly feel exhausted after watching that.
Nails down to the quick, but justice was done with only one team trying to win the game.
Mr Hair did his best to ruin it AGAIN, but had to give the second penalty after not giving the first.
What we lacked in quality at times we made up for in effort and spirit, and the scene's at the end with the magnificent support was something to behold. Think the east bank were still singing as I got to my car.

Sitting home relieved, will enjoy the week, but 2 tricky games still to win, one without Kanu, so full concentration still needed.
Proud to be a Shots fan this season....all you can ask for.
Money donated to the club today too. Hope others do the same if they can afford too.
Happy Days indeed.
86/87 Glory Year

Postby 86/87 Glory Year » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Amazed Dover were so negative. This was a free game for them but they were playing for a draw. They deserved nothing with those tactics. Poor from them. I'm delighted our young team got the three points and we didn't choke. Hopefully, we can win our last two games and it's up to Dover now to seize their opportunity. How did they miss that sitter?? Brett Williams is the man now.
CH

Postby CH » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Disappointing from Dover, was expecting them to show us why they deserved 5th place. They looked scared of us all the way through. 265 is also an appalling following given the game. After taking 750 to solihull I'm confident we'd have taken 4 figures to them today had the game been at the Crapple!

Well done shots, you were superb and fully deserved the win. Mom Evans
Fuggletim

Postby Fuggletim » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Thought Dover came with the intent of getting a draw as they knew this benefitted them more than us. No real urgency shown by them until well after the penalty. Poor side who on today's performance makes you wonder how they have done so well this season.

Kanu 2nd yellow? Really was a 50/50 challenge, but as other posters said, the Dover player came off worse. Seemed to be quite a bit of time before Ref decided to get his book out as well, so maybe there was conversation of the radio with the other officials before a decision was made?
Swedishshot

Postby Swedishshot » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Radio said kanu miss kicked the ball and didn't intend to get the man. Also said the ref didn't realise he had already been booked
tonygodfrey

Postby tonygodfrey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Funny how we all see games differently. Thought Dover looked a very decent side. Extremely solid when defending up until the pen and then quite dangerous when attacking us. Ricky Miller is a really good player and we did very well to contain him.

Thought Kanu was a bit unlucky (he wasn't aiming for the man) but it looked a reckless challenge given where the opponent was. The ref pointed him out straight away but gave himself time to think before giving the yellow. My guess is that a red card was in his mind initially.

Great result, but in the past now and we need to make sure we travel to N Ferraby in the right frame of mind.

It will NOT be an easy game.
Last edited by tonygodfrey on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Swedishshot wrote:Radio said kanu miss kicked the ball and didn't intend to get the man. Also said the ref didn't realise he had already been booked

Certainly looked like a mis kick to us. No intent at all.
Wouldn't have put it past the ref to not of remembered the earlier booking. He was his usual inconsistent self all game. Shocking offical.
billyboy

Postby billyboy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Also from the Dover board -

"What we must absolutely not do now, is panic. To be brutally honest, there is no surprise in today's result. Aldershot away is never easy. However, if we win our three remaining games, we are there. We can do that. Beating Torquay and Macclesfield will put Barrow out of it - they will have nothing to play for when we go there. That helps. In addition, with our attention taken by Aldershot, it may escape that Aldershot have to go to Wrexham and then host Woking. Not easy, at all."

Didn't realise we are playing Wrexham and Woking in the last 2 games.
tonygodfrey

Postby tonygodfrey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:54 pm

If there had been intent it would have been a clear straight red. There wasn't, but it was reckless and potentially dangerous so yellow was probably right.
Reg's corner

Postby Reg's corner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:55 pm

To be fair to them theyve done well to into contention but it was men against boys today.. They arent a top 5 side in a million yrs. End of.
Rob M

Postby Rob M » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm

billyboy wrote:Also from the Dover board -

"What we must absolutely not do now, is panic. To be brutally honest, there is no surprise in today's result. Aldershot away is never easy. However, if we win our three remaining games, we are there. We can do that. Beating Torquay and Macclesfield will put Barrow out of it - they will have nothing to play for when we go there. That helps. In addition, with our attention taken by Aldershot, it may escape that Aldershot have to go to Wrexham and then host Woking. Not easy, at all."

Didn't realise we are playing Wrexham and Woking in the last 2 games.

They've got us mixed up with Dagenham and Redbridge
Reg's corner

Postby Reg's corner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Swedishshot wrote:Radio said kanu miss kicked the ball and didn't intend to get the man. Also said the ref didn't realise he had already been booked

Certainly looked like a mis kick to us. No intent at all.
Wouldn't have put it past the ref to not of remembered the earlier booking. He was his usual inconsistent self all game. Shocking offical.

And why no penaltys not give again. .. ?? The refs this season are the worst since the ryman days.. Deplorable.
aldershot-jg

Postby aldershot-jg » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm

He was having a good long look at his book before giving the yellow and red, for a moment I thought the ref was just having a chat with him. It was the players' initial sliding challenge on Kanu that made it worse. I'm pretty sure Kanu dived but Gary has backed Kanu in saying it was a penalty, if so both bookings were harsh. After that he lets their player stay on the pitch after treatment, have the laws changed or aren't players suppose to leave the pitch until being called back on by the ref?
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm

aldershot-jg wrote:
Mytshot wrote:They're not happy.... from the Dover forum:

AND........ALDERSHOT you should be ashamed of yourselves to £19 and then ask then to p@@s in a portaloo. Terrible!!!!!if you do get up and not the football league your facilities might need a rethink.

Moaning about cost is just bitter especially when there are other teams that charge more and obviously it would feel like a rip off after watching your team park the bus. having a portaloo for the away end I agree isn't adequate.

I do seriously think that we need a re_think about how we treat away fans. As I have posted before. I want away fans to say positive things about our club

Return to “ShotsTalk”