TS "WE'RE ON OUR WAY" Dover ratings

Tongham Shots

TS "WE'RE ON OUR WAY" Dover ratings

Postby Tongham Shots » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:49 pm

With the good Dr away on his travels (AWOL) it very nearly became a Greek tragedy at the Rec this afternoon, when in the 94th minute the visitors somehow missed an open goal from 6 yards out.
I swear most of the ground just burst out laughing in sheer unmitigated relief, when a Dover player side footed wide when the empty net was gaping.
It was never going to be a classic today with Dover determined to keep things tight, and a draw would have suited them down to the ground.
The Shots as usual tried to play decent football, but were mainly restricted to long range efforts in the first half. The tempo wasn’t high enough and the attack lacked pace, and more width was obviously required.
Gary Waddock realised this and made the required change at half time when Kanu replaced Kellerman, who can count himself unlucky to be subbed, but needs must.
The second half as I expected was much improved. The tempo was higher and we used the full width of the pitch – Benyu got more and more involved. Kanu was threatening- lots of intricate moves were just missing the final pass.
Kanu’s booking for diving looked harsh to me (from a Ref who we have history with) and came back to haunt us later. It will be interesting to see the video of the incident as it looked to me as if there was contact.
Jakey was rightly adjudged to have been brought down minutes later, and sub McClure stepped up and blasted it down the middle.
Kanu then got a second yellow, again a controversial decision, when adjudged to have gone in to a tackle too robustly, it looked to me like both players went in hard but the Dover player just came off worst.
Then came their unbelievable miss in the nerve jangling final seconds.
McClure had a gilt edged chance to improve our goal difference with the last kick of the game, but he fired wildly wide, when he should have hit the target.
The other thing worth mentioning is our constant insistence on using the short corner. Okay use it as a variation now and then, but it’s getting very predictable and unnecessary, we seem to waste every corner we get by trying it.
Finally I have always thought we would win the last three games this season, and I feel pretty sure that Dover will not win theirs, if they do – good luck to them -and they would deserve to get to the Play-offs.

TS RATINGS:
COLE 7 – Didn’t get called on much but when he did he looked his usual cool calm and assured self.
ALEXANDER 7 – Solid in Defence – a few attacking runs forward.
ARNOLD 7 – Decent all round game – got down the line quite often in the second half, before making way for the more attack minded Straker.
KELLERMAN 6.5 – Got involved first half – unfortunate for him that he was the one to make way for Kanu in a more attacking second half formation.
EVANS 8.5 MOM – Kept Miller quiet during the match and made several dangerous attacking forays.
REYNOLDS 8 – Helped in snuffing out Miller, calm and assured in defence and led the team well.
FENELON 6.5 – Worked hard without much end product.
BENYU 8 – Quiet first half but gradually took control of the midfield in the second stanza. Different class.
RENDELL 6 – Again put a shift in but looked a bit out of sorts.
GALLAGHER 7.5 – Usual Jake, worked his socks off and with Benny gradually won control of the midfield battle.
MENSAH 7.5 – Involved in most of the Shots dangerous attacks. Always gives 100%.

SUBS: Kanu -7.5, Straker 7.5. McClure 7
All the subs made a positive impact on the game.
chimpster99

Re: TS "WE'RE ON OUR WAY" Dover ratings

Postby chimpster99 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:10 am

Generally agree, especially with the MoM selection - Will was a man mountain out there.

I can understand why Jim was the one to make way at half time. While he was getting involved and breaking down the Dover play, he always seemed to take an extra few touches going forward which slowed our attacks and gave Dover more time to get men behind the ball. We spotted it several times!

Must say that from my seat in the North Stand, it looked like Idris took a dive. The most annoying thing was that he was in a great shooting position - this is something that needs removing from his game as he has the talent to get the goals. The second card was definitely harsh, the Dover player went in harder but came out worse.

Special mention for Strakes' effort when he nutmegged Modeste beautifully before marauding into the box and smashing one goal-bound, must have been close to crossing the line.
Jimmy Riddle

Postby Jimmy Riddle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:25 am

Apologies Tongham, was having a mare copying,pasting and posting. At least when we do them , we do 2! Although we only get a fee for one.

Up THE SHOTS
Shots2000

Postby Shots2000 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 am

Yesterday was a massive win and a amazing day, but its not in our hands and we must not get carried away because ferriby wont be easy
GuyB

Postby GuyB » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:18 am

chimpster99 wrote:Generally agree, especially with the MoM selection - Will was a man mountain out there.

I can understand why Jim was the one to make way at half time. While he was getting involved and breaking down the Dover play, he always seemed to take an extra few touches going forward which slowed our attacks and gave Dover more time to get men behind the ball. We spotted it several times!

Must say that from my seat in the North Stand, it looked like Idris took a dive. The most annoying thing was that he was in a great shooting position - this is something that needs removing from his game as he has the talent to get the goals. The second card was definitely harsh, the Dover player went in harder but came out worse.

Special mention for Strakes' effort when he nutmegged Modeste beautifully before marauding into the box and smashing one goal-bound, must have been close to crossing the line.

Agree with you on that Strakes moment - a real gem.

I was standing in line with the Idris 'penalty/dive' incident and thought it was a definite penalty. However, that's not factoring in my aged eyes or red & blue tinted glasses!

Return to “ShotsTalk”