Dominic Hyam

James Frazer

Re: Dominic Hyam

Postby James Frazer » Wed May 17, 2017 7:33 pm

86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Alan B wrote:I'm constantly amazed how people write off young players after seeing them play very limited roles for us. I can remember some posters on here writing off Sol Bradley, Aaron Morris, Dion Conroy, and more recently, Jim Kellerman, as well as a few others after 1 or 2 games. You've got to give young players a decent run and time to adapt to 'men's football'.

I think if we hadn't been in play off contention, GW would have given Hyam, Giles and Buckley more game time. Thankfully GW has a little more patience than some of our supporters....

Agreed, the problem is a player like Kellermann has cost us badly with his mistakes this season. 4 horrendous errors from him. Not sure where the cut off point is with these players. They haven't made mistakes anything like Kellerman has.

Let's not forget how many people wanted Jake Gallagher hung, drawn, & quartered after his first few appearances.
The trouble is, we still have too many so called supporters who can only remember the mistakes and can't see anything positive.
I wonder why some people bother getting out of bed in the morning.
ACA

Postby ACA » Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Don't forget Jordan Roberts, after his sending-off in that Trophy game a couple of years back. Someone (I believe it was Glory Year, actually) even suggested he should "never play for the club again" after that.
GuyB

Postby GuyB » Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm

James Frazer wrote:
86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Alan B wrote:I'm constantly amazed how people write off young players after seeing them play very limited roles for us. I can remember some posters on here writing off Sol Bradley, Aaron Morris, Dion Conroy, and more recently, Jim Kellerman, as well as a few others after 1 or 2 games. You've got to give young players a decent run and time to adapt to 'men's football'.

I think if we hadn't been in play off contention, GW would have given Hyam, Giles and Buckley more game time. Thankfully GW has a little more patience than some of our supporters....

Agreed, the problem is a player like Kellermann has cost us badly with his mistakes this season. 4 horrendous errors from him. Not sure where the cut off point is with these players. They haven't made mistakes anything like Kellerman has.

Let's not forget how many people wanted Jake Gallagher hung, drawn, & quartered after his first few appearances.
The trouble is, we still have too many so called supporters who can only remember the mistakes and can't see anything positive.
I wonder why some people bother getting out of bed in the morning.

Well said James.
GuyB

Postby GuyB » Wed May 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Excellent post Alan.

I saw several elements of Dominic Hyam's game which suggested to me he is a young player of promise. Time, strength and coaching allied to playing experience will help him grow into a good defender.
SW Shot

Postby SW Shot » Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 pm

86/87 Glory Year wrote:

Wow. You obviously weren't at Wrexham when he was absolutely brilliant. This is his first season in professional football, of course he's going to make mistakes.
Would you rather we signed youngsters like Kellerman and Benyu, that will make errors, or more experienced players like McNulty and John Parkin??
86/87 Glory Year

Postby 86/87 Glory Year » Wed May 17, 2017 7:56 pm

ACA wrote:Don't forget Jordan Roberts, after his sending-off in that Trophy game a couple of years back. Someone (I believe it was Glory Year, actually) even suggested he should "never play for the club again" after that.

You are correct. Well remembered.
86/87 Glory Year

Postby 86/87 Glory Year » Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 pm

SW Shot wrote:
86/87 Glory Year wrote:

Wow. You obviously weren't at Wrexham when he was absolutely brilliant. This is his first season in professional football, of course he's going to make mistakes.
Would you rather we signed youngsters like Kellerman and Benyu, that will make errors, or more experienced players like McNulty and John Parkin??

No, I would rather we signed young players with the management team we have. Absolutely. However, the mistakes he has made can't be ignored. It wasn't one. It's 4 major errors which have directly affected the game and end result. Jake Cole v Tranmere. Will Evans v Forest Green (sending off) both individual errors. Both players outstanding over the course of the season. Kellermann a young player learning the game. Going to make mistakes and may develop into an outstanding midfielder but why pretend he hasn't made those mistakes?
ACA

Postby ACA » Wed May 17, 2017 9:17 pm

I don't think anyone is pretending he hasn't made mistakes. Equally, no one keeps bringing up the mistakes made by those other individuals you mention - so why make an exception for Kellermann?
86/87 Glory Year

Postby 86/87 Glory Year » Wed May 17, 2017 10:03 pm

ACA wrote:I don't think anyone is pretending he hasn't made mistakes. Equally, no one keeps bringing up the mistakes made by those other individuals you mention - so why make an exception for Kellermann?

I think because his mistakes are disproportionate compared to the other players when he actually hasn't played that much either and just how costly his errors have been.

I think the balanced view is to highlight the good performance at Wrexham also and the fact he posted a passionate tweet about the "brutal" week he had during the Play Off games. Seems to really care and want to improve.
Ancient Shot

Postby Ancient Shot » Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 pm

And remember that, up to the game he got a red card, he was the best player on the pitch for about 3 or 4 games
Desertshot

Postby Desertshot » Wed May 17, 2017 11:13 pm

Ancient Shot wrote:And remember that, up to the game he got a red card, he was the best player on the pitch for about 3 or 4 games

Indeed oh Ancient one....People have very short memories and must have infant amnesia...because they NEVER made a mistake (or two) while maturing in to the perfect people they have become. 'Thee who is without sin.....and all that :-)...Thankfully GW is a wise man and knows how to bring the best out of people, he seems to recognise their potential and gives them the confidence to play the game the way it should be played. In the final reckoning the Shots were not quite good enough but my God they had a dam good go. If that Rendel header had gone in!!!! I can't see how any of this seasons team can be anything other congratulated for their achievements this season.
Aldershot_Rob

Postby Aldershot_Rob » Thu May 18, 2017 5:30 pm

I seem to recall he was pretty decent against Maidstone also... let's hope he has learnt from those errors this season and comes back better and stronger for it next season.
billyboy

Postby billyboy » Wed May 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Signed for Coventry
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Wed May 24, 2017 6:07 pm

billyboy wrote:Signed for Coventry

Good move for him, no doubt.

Return to “ShotsTalk”