Dominic Hyam

billyboy

Dominic Hyam

Postby billyboy » Tue May 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Released by Reading. Could be a decent backup for next season.
Ian Rust

Re: Dominic Hyam

Postby Ian Rust » Tue May 16, 2017 10:25 pm

Not quite up to Conference level yet I think,
Would be more a Dartford, Welling, Basingrad type player next season. Could progress later though.
steveclivebaker

Postby steveclivebaker » Wed May 17, 2017 8:55 am

billyboy wrote:Released by Reading. Could be a decent backup for next season.

Giles released at Oxford too.
Dr Jim Royle

Postby Dr Jim Royle » Wed May 17, 2017 9:26 am

I actually could see both players being offered back in for training and maybe a short term contract deal. Neither really had a real chance to stamp themselves into the first team. So let's watch this space !!
Ancient Shot

Postby Ancient Shot » Wed May 17, 2017 9:29 am

Johnny Giles was the "missing" loanee this season

Didn't get much of a run so maybe GW didn't see what he wanted to see in him?
Andyenn

Postby Andyenn » Wed May 17, 2017 10:49 am

Giles would be the one ex loanee I would like to see more of (Benyu excepted of course). He seemed pretty sharp, but was unlucky to find himself in a team of really strong midfielders.
aldershot-jg

Postby aldershot-jg » Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 am

Giles, Buckley and Hyam weren't even making the bench by the end and only got on the bench to fill gaps of injured players. Having been with us for near enough half of the season I would think Gary has seen enough to know whether he wants to sign them or not, I reckon not.
ians

Postby ians » Wed May 17, 2017 11:59 am

I think Hyannis would be a debent signing as the third centre back. Daggers speak very highly of him from his time there.
shotshammo

Postby shotshammo » Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 pm

I guess the problem with Giles is he's an academic and fitting in with the core of devoted to football, youngsters we have, would not be easy.
Once he has gained respect from the senior players he would do very nicely, but it's hard to convince people you are dedicated to football at this early stage of your career, when being educated brings it's problems. I personally liked what little I saw of him and think he has a future in football at a decent level. Dropping below Conference level would not be a wise move for him, unless he's prepared to go part time.
Morrissey's Scorcher

Postby Morrissey's Scorcher » Wed May 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Hopefully we can do better than Hyam and Buckley, both were very poor I thought. Surprised Giles wasn't given more game time though he looked by far the more promising of the three.
steveclivebaker

Postby steveclivebaker » Wed May 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Morrissey's Scorcher wrote:Hopefully we can do better than Hyam and Buckley, both were very poor I thought. Surprised Giles wasn't given more game time though he looked by far the more promising of the three.

Totally agree the 4 or 5 new players need to be as good or better than the 14 signed.
Alan B

Postby Alan B » Wed May 17, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm constantly amazed how people write off young players after seeing them play very limited roles for us. I can remember some posters on here writing off Sol Bradley, Aaron Morris, Dion Conroy, and more recently, Jim Kellerman, as well as a few others after 1 or 2 games. You've got to give young players a decent run and time to adapt to 'men's football'.

I think if we hadn't been in play off contention, GW would have given Hyam, Giles and Buckley more game time. Thankfully GW has a little more patience than some of our supporters....
chimpster99

Postby chimpster99 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 pm

To me Hyam was poor enough. He had an absolute shocker in the game he started, looked totally out of his depth, and I saw little to suggest he had much more to offer than that.

Buckley looked ok the first couple of times he came on but seemed to drift away after that. Wouldn't mind him joining but not as the first choice LB we'll be looking for.

Giles looked decent enough but not the tall rangy type of wide player that GW seems to prefer.

Don't think we'll see any of them back.

Cue GW signing at least one of them!!
86/87 Glory Year

Postby 86/87 Glory Year » Wed May 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Alan B wrote:I'm constantly amazed how people write off young players after seeing them play very limited roles for us. I can remember some posters on here writing off Sol Bradley, Aaron Morris, Dion Conroy, and more recently, Jim Kellerman, as well as a few others after 1 or 2 games. You've got to give young players a decent run and time to adapt to 'men's football'.

I think if we hadn't been in play off contention, GW would have given Hyam, Giles and Buckley more game time. Thankfully GW has a little more patience than some of our supporters....

Agreed, the problem is a player like Kellermann has cost us badly with his mistakes this season. 4 horrendous errors from him. Not sure where the cut off point is with these players. They haven't made mistakes anything like Kellerman has.
steveclivebaker

Postby steveclivebaker » Wed May 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Alan B wrote:I'm constantly amazed how people write off young players after seeing them play very limited roles for us. I can remember some posters on here writing off Sol Bradley, Aaron Morris, Dion Conroy, and more recently, Jim Kellerman, as well as a few others after 1 or 2 games. You've got to give young players a decent run and time to adapt to 'men's football'.

I wasn't writing them off just think we will need better players if we want to challenge for the top 3 next season.
As you said GW didn't play them as we were chasing a play off place,and hopefully it will be the same in 2017/18.

Return to “ShotsTalk”