Re: Matchday Experience Meeting

Postby Dobbin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Turn the tannoy down.
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Birdman wrote:
Headley Shot wrote:
tonygodfrey wrote:We need to lobby Rushmoor to take more interest in the Rec. Eastleigh Council went out of their way to help Hampshire CC. I know it's not entirely comparable but local councils are allowed to help professional sports clubs for the overall benefit of their area.

I'm with you on that.
Have a look at Farnham Rugby Club (Waverley council I know) and the wonderful facilities they have built just down the road.... For goodness sake Rushmoor have a look around... even at Woking... who use the Big stand for all kinds of summer events.
Rushmoor is a comparitively wealthy borough with no real first class sporting venue. Surely it's time now to change that and build something everyone can be proud of at The Rec.
The football club has put Aldershot on the map for almost 100 years, now bringing TV cameras to the town regularly.
The fact that the stadium doesn't have a proper facility for a TV gantry after 60 years says it all.
The club are tenants and unless they get "a right to buy" or are gifted the land in perpetuity (as it was gifted to Rushmoor council) it must be the Council who redevelop the ground. With millions flooding into the borough in the form of extra Council Tax from the 4000 new homes being built, why isn't the council doing something for the football club ?
It's not right. :twisted:

I don't think that the "millions flooding into the borough in the form of council tax" has really started yet. If you're in Aldershot other than for football then take a drive down Queens Avenue and have a look around. Much of it hasn't been built on yet.

Plenty of new homes/shops/offices have already been built throughout Rushmoor over the last 5 years. There has been a vast population increase with the Nepalese families settling in Aldershot. Maybe 5000 families that must be paying Council Tax already in the borough as well. The population has increased and will swell even more when those new homes are moved into.
So I'm not sure how you think that Council tax revenue has NOT increased by millions in the last few years ?
DaveC

Postby DaveC » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Problem is that of the 5000 families not all will be paying Council Tax, and the extra 5000 will result in significant additional services having to be provided at the Council's expense. So no bunce available for football unfortunately.
tonygodfrey

Postby tonygodfrey » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Agree that there might well be a few more pennies dropping into Rushmoor's coffers of late.

But it's not just about money. It's about Rushmoor recognising that the club can be a tremendous force for good in the Borough and a catalyst for sporting motivation and achievement. Headley is quite right that the Army and a mid sized professional football club are the main things that Aldershot is noted for. A decent modern stadium that they could both utilise to promote the town and Borough is something that Rushmoor ought to be pushing for and helping to enable.

Maybe they have been put off by past financial mismanagement and broken promises but this Board of Directors have already shown that they have business nouse and the good of the Borough at heart.

Just think it's time for Rushmoor to stop sitting back and at last start to make the success of the club something they are prepared to help with. Our ground has the potential to be a major community asset and a great advertisement for Rushmoor Borough if they have a bit of imagination and will to help it happen.

The alternative is to let the ground slowly crumble into disrepair and I simply can't see what good that is to the people who live in Rushmoor or the Council that ultimately owns it.
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:00 pm

Headley Shot wrote:
Birdman wrote:
Headley Shot wrote:
I'm with you on that.
Have a look at Farnham Rugby Club (Waverley council I know) and the wonderful facilities they have built just down the road.... For goodness sake Rushmoor have a look around... even at Woking... who use the Big stand for all kinds of summer events.
Rushmoor is a comparitively wealthy borough with no real first class sporting venue. Surely it's time now to change that and build something everyone can be proud of at The Rec.
The football club has put Aldershot on the map for almost 100 years, now bringing TV cameras to the town regularly.
The fact that the stadium doesn't have a proper facility for a TV gantry after 60 years says it all.
The club are tenants and unless they get "a right to buy" or are gifted the land in perpetuity (as it was gifted to Rushmoor council) it must be the Council who redevelop the ground. With millions flooding into the borough in the form of extra Council Tax from the 4000 new homes being built, why isn't the council doing something for the football club ?
It's not right. :twisted:

I don't think that the "millions flooding into the borough in the form of council tax" has really started yet. If you're in Aldershot other than for football then take a drive down Queens Avenue and have a look around. Much of it hasn't been built on yet.

Plenty of new homes/shops/offices have already been built throughout Rushmoor over the last 5 years. There has been a vast population increase with the Nepalese families settling in Aldershot. Maybe 5000 families that must be paying Council Tax already in the borough as well. The population has increased and will swell even more when those new homes are moved into.
So I'm not sure how you think that Council tax revenue has NOT increased by millions in the last few years ?

With respect Headley, your post did say "extra Council Tax from the 4000 new homes being built", not "homes/shops/offices have already been built. That implied to me that you were referring to the Aldershot Urban Extension which is currently planned to have not far off 4000 new homes, hence my reply above.
tonygodfrey

Postby tonygodfrey » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:31 pm

Here's a quote from the widely respected leader of Eastleigh Council talking about Hampshire's cricket ground.....
Cllr Keith House, said: “It’s a very important project for the whole borough. As well as creating jobs for local people and opportunities for local business it gives the Council significant new rental income to help protect vital local services and keep council tax down."

“We’re also committed to making sure that people across the borough benefit from this partnership through the chance both to watch and take part in sport.  The prestigious world class venue will also help to keep Eastleigh on the international sporting map.”

Ok, ours would be on a slightly lower level but surely something could be devised that would benefit the Council and the club alike. Given what others do the argument that the Council has no money for anything like this doesn't really stand up.

What it actually lacks is political will.
hhshots

Postby hhshots » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:51 am

For my sins I have watched Brighton many times when the shots were away in the last few seasons. When the AMEX first opened the language and chanting was as colourful as any club. But with a concerted effort over many weeks from the club including big poster notices all over the stadium , articles in the club programmes, regular tannoy announcements etc the Brighton match day experience has become a true family atmosphere with very little swearing and all home fans even applaud the away fans when the travelling attendance is given out. It's still a vibrant atmosphere with plenty of banter but I'd have no problem taking my young children there. However I definitely WOULDNT take them to the rec.
SW Shot

Postby SW Shot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:54 am

Can't see it mentioned so just thought I'd say what a great addition the East Bank Bar has been. And that they do a brilliant job.
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:42 am

Birdman wrote:
Headley Shot wrote:
Birdman wrote:

With respect Headley, your post did say "extra Council Tax from the 4000 new homes being built", not "homes/shops/offices have already been built. That implied to me that you were referring to the Aldershot Urban Extension which is currently planned to have not far off 4000 new homes, hence my reply above.

If you want to be pedantic, with equal respect, my post said "BEING BUILT. I'm afraid, not for the first time, your interpretation is incorrect.
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:51 am

hhshots wrote:For my sins I have watched Brighton many times when the shots were away in the last few seasons. When the AMEX first opened the language and chanting was as colourful as any club. But with a concerted effort over many weeks from the club including big poster notices all over the stadium , articles in the club programmes, regular tannoy announcements etc the Brighton match day experience has become a true family atmosphere with very little swearing and all home fans even applaud the away fans when the travelling attendance is given out. It's still a vibrant atmosphere with plenty of banter but I'd have no problem taking my young children there. However I definitely WOULDNT take them to the rec.

How sad is this to read ? HH Shots is spot on though. Some of the idiots that curse and swear use filthy language which is not nice for children to hear.
Does it have to be this way at Aldershot ?
I don't think it does and if the club were serious about attracting more families and support, they would tackle the issue immediately.
For my part, I'd include the East Bank in this, let's outlaw chants using swear words just as homophobic chanting is now outlawed. It's no good having a rule in just the Family Stands when the idiots are shouting abuse out within earshot is it ?
We can learn a lot from clubs like Brighton, who obviously have got it 100% right.
latimeralder

Postby latimeralder » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:09 am

Fair to say that while extra housing does/should brin in extra income, they also require extra spending.

So 'new houses' by itself doesn't mean that RBC are bursting with cash.
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:10 am

Headley Shot wrote:
Birdman wrote:
Headley Shot wrote:

If you want to be pedantic, with equal respect, my post said "BEING BUILT. I'm afraid, not for the first time, your interpretation is incorrect.

I'm not being pedantic, Headley. I was initially commenting on your post (Friday at 9:19 am) which said 'being built'. Your reply on Saturday at 5:08pm then changed to 'been built'.
To me, 'being built' equates to in the process but not yet ready. 'Been built' equates to job done and ready. So, not being pedantic, just responding to the words in your Friday post.
Regarding the Council Tax, if this is anything to go by (and I've understood it correctly) then RBC only keeps just over 10% of tax collected, the rest goes to HCC, Police, Fire :- http://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/counciltaxcharges
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:35 am

The point is Birdman that I was talking about the fact that Council tax income to Rushmoor has increased substantially in recent years. You're being extremely pedantic as evidenced in your reply which details the exact timings of the posts I made !
What are you... a retired English teacher who thinks he's still marking homework on Shotsweb or something ?
Pathetic Birdman... get yourself a life.
Richard Petty

Postby Richard Petty » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:08 am

How has this thread that started off so positive become somewhat off topic and turned into an argument about the council and the use of past tense, or present tense in the English being used :(

lets get it back to encouraging people to volunteer to join the group "Matchday Experience Meeting" (assuming the club hasn't already filled the spaces) and then maybe putting some sensible and short term ideas on here that the group can then discuss.

But lets keep the ideas realistic and things that can be acted on this season not things like stadium development which everyone knows is needed but certainly wont be happening this season.

Come on guys the club is trying to do something to make things better, there are no guarantees that the meetings will produce anything dramatic but the more positive ideas people come up with the more chance there is :D
Shot through (& throu

Postby Shot through (& throu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:35 am

No matter how much extra council tax income Rushmoor receives from the building of these houses on the Queens Avenue, you can rest assured that, as has happened over the last 20 years, the majority of it will be spent enhansing the area of Farnborough to the the detriment of Aldershot. There is no way they will use any of it to build or even update the football stadium. Despite how much we all might think the Rec is the most important thing in the Borough, there are more important issues in Aldershot to be addressed - Aldershot doesn't even have a worthwhile shopping centre any more. Yes, 4000 houses are being built, but the new residents will all be driving to the Queensmead complex to do their shopping after visiting the Aldershot centre for the first time. No, the only way for Aldershot Town FC to have a new stadium is to either fund it themselves or to find a sugar-daddy who will pay for it. Neither is on the horizon. As to improving the matchday experience, for the majority of Aldershot's stay at home, fickle fans that will only happen by producing a successful team that does well not only in the league but the cup competitions as well (something that hasn't happened for several seasons now). Then the crowds will increase. Bigger crowds means more money for the club and slowly the ground can be improved.

Return to “ShotsTalk”