Stupid crowd control.

Headley Shot

Stupid crowd control.

Postby Headley Shot » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:12 pm

I'm really fed up with the South stand stewards allowing opposition vocal and drum support into the South Stand .
Today, they were allowed in 10 minutes after kick off where they immediately started banging a drum and shouting for their side.
Then we had to put up with the old taunt of "Aldersh*t" half way through the second half too !
Why are these idiots allowed and turned a complete blind eye to by our own stewards ?
Our stewards are too scared to even make eye contact with them, looking the other way whilst one particularly nasty little Oik made obscene gestures provoking many Shots fans at the front of the stand !
The crazy thing is that if we stood up and told them to shut up, us Shots fans would probably be thrown out by our own stewards !
Alex

Re: Stupid crowd control.

Postby Alex » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Erm, this is a joke right... :?: :!:
20-3-92

Postby 20-3-92 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:24 am

Sounds like Gary wanted these "idiots' on our side yesterday cos they were louder than the East Bank. This is football, fans have been "banging a drum and shouting for their side" for about 100 years.

And if you're provoked by a 15 year old giving you the middle finger, I think you might be looking for an excuse to be provoked.

Unless I'm being whooshed...
dalinz

Postby dalinz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:05 pm

When we lose people get disturbed in some strange ways... this one is quite funny.
Jason

Postby Jason » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Actually, I think Headley has a point here (in a roundabout way) certainly when you take into context the fact that the South stand is supposed to be the Family stand. Hardly appropriate for young children and families to have to experience away fans right next to them swearing and gesturing. There have been some on here recently suggesting that they are put off attending for the very reason that they don't think it a suitable environment for their children.

Perhaps food for thought for some that were quick to jump on this post.
TracoShot

Postby TracoShot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:31 pm

I agree with Jason. Whilst I was stood in the EB yesterday it was clear that Dover had a dozen or so kids who thought they were the next ICF. Before it rained they seemed more intent on gesturing at the EB rather than watching the game. When it started raining they didn't want to get wet (they were that hard) so they relocated to the South Stand which is a family stand. If I had been in there with my children I'm not sure I would have stayed or indeed returned. On the same theme disappointing that the stewards or police (both presumably paid by the club) didn't do anything particularly with regard to one of their oiks.
tonygodfrey

Postby tonygodfrey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Never ceases to amaze me that football in general takes such a relaxed attitude to aggressive behaviour and swearing in the vicinity of young children.

What sensible parent would take an 8 or 9 year old (say) into an environment where unfriendly and anti social behaviour is acceptable and visible in their close vicinity. Don't think it would be acceptable anywhere else in society (or at any other sport) so why is it at football?

Is it any wonder that our fanbase is ageing when we (fans as well as club) don't do the basics in making it easy for families to attend?
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm

The South Stand for the home supporters is a family stand although from previous comments on Shotstalk, some of our own South Stand supporters choice of language (and possibly gestures) haven't been what could be called 'family friendly'. However, and I'm not condoning some of their supporters actions, the South Stand to the away support is just seating, the same way that the North Stand is. It does happen that when some supporters (ours included) go to away games they tend to lose some of their what I would call, 'social inhibitions'.
But yes, better stewarding would be helpful although a balance has to be struck that doesn't go from indifference to heavy-handed with nothing in between. For that happy medium to be achieved, it also requires cooperation from supporters.
TracoShot

Postby TracoShot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:05 pm

I was at Eastleigh and saw one of our fans, who had become a bit exciteable due to a fine referring display, taken aside by their stewards and then spoken to by the police at half time. There were no further problems.

On Saturday I saw Dover fans doing far far worse,aimed entirely at Aldershot fans, who were simply ignored by our stewards and the police. Not acceptable.
80fc

Postby 80fc » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:42 pm

A few comments on their forum about the bad language from their own fans. Plus one who was miffed to pay extra to sit only to be joined by the "non payers" when it started to rain. Just shows every club has their idiots
shotshammo

Postby shotshammo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:02 am

From all accounts there were away supporters that crossed the line, behaviour wise and got away with it. There should be at least one Steward on the South side that has the power to warn that them their behaviour is not acceptable and if continued they will be removed from the ground. This apparently doesn't seem to be the case.
Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:13 am

It is a difficult one, because the reality is the moment a steward gets involved, it can create more problems, as those troublesome fans develop a bit of a pack mentality.

I know some will say that it's the stewards job, but you need to know when to pick your battles. The reality in my opinion is again it shows the failing of our stadium layout, that the away fans are right next to the family stand.

Could consideration be given maybe to making the Community Stand into the Family stand, so that they are as far from the potential flash points as possible?
Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:22 am

As rain had been forecast, how many more stewards do we need to allow the away supporters to stand in the East Bank instead of their portion of the slab? This would stop any similar events occurring.

We should always allow away fans to have cover if rain is forecast out of common courteously.
Ancient Shot

Postby Ancient Shot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:30 am

Good luck at Ebbsfleet then
shotsfantic

Postby shotsfantic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Isn't there an easy solution to this that is constantly ignored by the club ?

Return to “ShotsTalk”