OT Hartley Wintney

Alan B

OT Hartley Wintney

Postby Alan B » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:45 am

Thrashed Farnborough 6-1 away in the Bgfreebet challenge cup tonight!
Alex

Re: OT Hartley Wintney

Postby Alex » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:53 am

Both were weakened and had a mix of seniors and youth team in their sides.

I've no idea what that cup is but guessing it's not overly important?

Farnborough seem to be struggling a bit in all comps though. The Cureton goals are beginning to dry up...
Fuggletim

Postby Fuggletim » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 am

Alex wrote:I've no idea what that cup is but guessing it's not overly important?

Remember my Brother telling me that when my second team Wolves won the Texaco Cup in 1971! :lol:
DonnyDarko2012

Postby DonnyDarko2012 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:28 am

Alex wrote:Both were weakened and had a mix of seniors and youth team in their sides.

I've no idea what that cup is but guessing it's not overly important?

Farnborough seem to be struggling a bit in all comps though. The Cureton goals are beginning to dry up...
It's the Southern League Cup.
Alan B

Postby Alan B » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:39 pm

The result last night was tinged with sadness for me personally. Hartley's top scorer for the last 2-3 seasons, Sam Argent, has been snapped up by Terry Brown at Basingstoke. It's no surprise to me as I've touted him on here In the past - he is so like Mark Butler was for the Shots (apologies Butts if you don't agree) In that he works his socks off, never gives defences a minute's peace and is a born goal scorer. Sam is not big but wins more than his fair share of headers and rarely gets booked. A dream to manage I imagine.

The only surprise is that he hasn't been snapped up before but that must be down to his loyalty to Hartley Wintney - another admirable quality. I don't have the stats but he must average around a goal a game in his time at Hartley and I hope he has as much success at Basingstoke. He will be missed by the Row.
Disturbed Postie

Postby Disturbed Postie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:14 pm

Alan B wrote:The result last night was tinged with sadness for me personally. Hartley's top scorer for the last 2-3 seasons, Sam Argent, has been snapped up by Terry Brown at Basingstoke. It's no surprise to me as I've touted him on here In the past - he is so like Mark Butler was for the Shots (apologies Butts if you don't agree) In that he works his socks off, never gives defences a minute's peace and is a born goal scorer. Sam is not big but wins more than his fair share of headers and rarely gets booked. A dream to manage I imagine.

The only surprise is that he hasn't been snapped up before but that must be down to his loyalty to Hartley Wintney - another admirable quality. I don't have the stats but he must average around a goal a game in his time at Hartley and I hope he has as much success at Basingstoke. He will be missed by the Row.

How old is he?
Alan B

Postby Alan B » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Alan B wrote:The result last night was tinged with sadness for me personally. Hartley's top scorer for the last 2-3 seasons, Sam Argent, has been snapped up by Terry Brown at Basingstoke. It's no surprise to me as I've touted him on here In the past - he is so like Mark Butler was for the Shots (apologies Butts if you don't agree) In that he works his socks off, never gives defences a minute's peace and is a born goal scorer. Sam is not big but wins more than his fair share of headers and rarely gets booked. A dream to manage I imagine.

How old is he?

Sam is 25 or 26. He started at Southampton before moving on to Hayes & Yeading, then Whitchurch before joining Hartley in June 2013 for the first time. After a good season in 2013-14, Jason Bristow signed him for Basngstoke in July 2014. Sam had 6 months at Basingstoke before returning to Hartley in Fenruary 2015.

Sam struck up a good partnership with Ross Cook scoring 92 goals between them in 2015-16 and winning the Combined Counties title. They also had a good season in 2016-17, winning the Combined Counties again with the pair again scoring around 100 goals between them despite Cook missing a few games due to disciplinary problems. Cook moved on to Frimley Green at the end of the season but Argent remained as captain and is top scorer with 8 goals so far until his transfer to Basingstoke on a 2 year contract.

He will leave a big hole which may see the Row struggle to replace his goals. But they have a good young Management team so if they stay I think the Club will continue to progress. They are far from a one man team.
Disturbed Postie

Postby Disturbed Postie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Ok, could still progress a couple of leagues if he does well at Basingstoke now their only southern lge but needs to be quick I think!
tonygodfrey

Postby tonygodfrey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Was at the game last night and although the scoreline didn't flatter Hartley some of the Farnborough youngsters were very raw indeed. Argent moving just might turn out to be a good thing in the long run as it will allow some clearly talented youngsters to come through naturally if they can grasp their opportunity. HW do play some great football so they certainly have a chance of continuing to do very well this year. Another promotion too quickly might be very testing though.

The thing to remember about that level is that the standard of defending is nowhere near National League (obviously) so scoring freely is a lot easier than it would be 2 or 3 divisions higher.
fredandballou

Postby fredandballou » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 am

Sam Argent was man of the match for his new club in Basingstokes 3-1 win over Banbury last Saturday. He scored two of the goals the first after four minutes.
Statto

Postby Statto » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:50 am

I remember a couple of seasons ago that we were allegedly looking at Argent and Cook - whether or not that was true, I don't know.
Alan B

Postby Alan B » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 am

Statto wrote:I remember a couple of seasons ago that we were allegedly looking at Argent and Cook - whether or not that was true, I don't know.

Yes Pete, I was told that too. Cook had a trial at Bristol Rovers which didn't work out - he had a poor disciplinary record so that might have counted against him. I remember him getting sent off against Hereford in a FA Vase game when they succeeded in winding him up. He certainly is talented but Argent is equally good at finding the net and works harder.

I hoped we might have given Argent a trial at the time - despite the 4 League difference at the time, it was worth a punt. Sam turned down a move to Farnborough (then in Conference South I think) around the same time.
shots1965

Postby shots1965 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:46 pm

https://youtu.be/j39zezW0KDk
Farnborough
Last night
Lost 6 -2 @ home to Weymouth
Boro have lots of six appeal
Haha
Aldershot_Rob

Postby Aldershot_Rob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Mark Molesey, the gift that keeps on giving. Legend.

Return to “ShotsTalk”