Match Day Thread vs MAIDENHEAD

Jason

Re: Match Day Thread vs MAIDENHEAD

Postby Jason » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:06 pm

Oliver11 wrote:So Jason are you happy with Rendell & McClure up front - it's their job to score, that's their job!

The only reason we've scored a few is because of our midfielders - how good could we be with a decent striker, could be wrong but don't think Rendell has scored a league goal in 2017......

Well obviously I would like to see Rendell and McClure scoring 20+ goals a season each, however I am not blinded to the fact that actually the important thing is the team winning. Rendell and McClure may not be scoring as many goals as we all want, but actually I am sure that a lot of people can't point to many chances that either of them are missing at the moment either. That is because their contribution is about more than goals. Today two of our goals that came from midfielders as you quote is because Rendell put them on a plate for them.

Rendell and McClure are actually both quite intelligent players and take defenders out of the game, which leaves our midfield with more and better opportunities.

Are you happy that we've conceded 8 goals in the last 4 games? Are you unhappy that so many different players are contributing to our goals scored column?
scorp

Postby scorp » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:11 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
lowerbourneshot wrote:
ians wrote:Did anyone ask Mensah when he will be back?

No but i'm sure it will be next week or the week after that or maybe the one after that . Frankly it's boring now and he isn't the messiah.

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

"he's a very naughty boy". Enlighten us.

incidentally, someone did ask Mensah when he's back playing. The answer - about two weeks.
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:14 pm

scorp wrote:
Anon E Mouse wrote:
lowerbourneshot wrote:No but i'm sure it will be next week or the week after that or maybe the one after that . Frankly it's boring now and he isn't the messiah.

incidentally, someone did ask Mensah when he's back playing. The answer - about two weeks.

Monty Python ...see video clip above....and watch the Life of Brian....its a brilliant film
scorp

Postby scorp » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
scorp wrote:
Anon E Mouse wrote:

Monty Python ...see video clip above....and watch the Life of Brian....its a brilliant film

Ah! ta...
Oliver11

Postby Oliver11 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Jason - Rendell & McClure have played 24 matches this season scoring a combined total of 5 goals!

It's a team game admittedly but on that return the odd setting up a goal doesn't cut it - much prefer a greedy striker who loves scoring goals which we haven't seen at the Rec since Jake Robinson.
aldershot-jg

Postby aldershot-jg » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:08 am

Oliver11 wrote:Jason - Rendell & McClure have played 24 matches this season scoring a combined total of 5 goals!

It's a team game admittedly but on that return the odd setting up a goal doesn't cut it - much prefer a greedy striker who loves scoring goals which we haven't seen at the Rec since Jake Robinson.

*cough* Brett Williams *cough*
aldershot-jg

Postby aldershot-jg » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 am

Goals are on Twitter https://twitter.com/fc_video/status/916804738221596672

Posting just the one goal link, for those on twitter you’ll see the other 5 goals.

They show the handball as well, absolute nailed on penalty, shocked the ref took so long to decide. De Havilland is as full stretch and looks like he’s trying to tip it over, it hit his hand after their player headed it against him but his hand was in such an unnatural position the ref has no choice. Awful, awful mistake.
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:09 am

SW Shot wrote:
lanternhall wrote:
Oliver11 wrote:6 points is retrievable but if our current form / wastfullness doesn't we will be going down the table not up.

I can't understand how we've assembled a good squad in defence / partly midfielder yet a total car crash up front.......

Is Tim Sills still around???

Exactly. So why haven't we signed someone? Don't tell me we don't have the money because we should have.

All the Kanu money got spent on new tables in the South Stand bar didn't it?

It went somewhere and it certainly wasn't on players.
Jimmy Riddle

Postby Jimmy Riddle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:35 am

I thought we were dreadful second half and very fortunate ( and relieved)to get away with a point . I can’t really say it was a classic and didn’t really have the feel of a thrilling 3-3, other than a 91st minute equaliser.

Evans had an absolute stinker and must admit I thought he would of been hauled off early second half. Robert looked great for 60 minutes and Jim played a blinder. Cole was flapping around on crosses which is his weakness and something he really ought to work on.

Gary’s post match interview would suggest he was as equally as unimpressed and there is plenty of work to do.

I really rate Bernard but he will take another month to get up to speed and that just leaves Bobby Taylor. It’s great we are hanging in there and I would challenge those who believe we can go on another post Christmas run.

This is not a slant of Gary or the team, but we have a lot of work to do.

It will be interesting to see what team starts Saturday , in what is surely our biggest and most important game of the season so far.

You can afford to lose a league game this time of year....
stevieshot

Postby stevieshot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:43 am

aldershot-jg wrote:
Oliver11 wrote:Jason - Rendell & McClure have played 24 matches this season scoring a combined total of 5 goals!

*cough* Brett Williams *cough*

& John Grant
Alex

Postby Alex » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 am

Jimmy Riddle wrote:Cole was flapping around on crosses which is his weakness and something he really ought to work on.

It will be interesting to see what team starts Saturday , in what is surely our biggest and most important game of the season so far

Jake certainly does seem uncomfortable when coming out to claim corners and crosses. He probably does already work on that side of his game but is 32 now and I know keepers can play on until quite a late age but I doubt even he thinks he'll get a big move back into the FL. It's the only part of his game that is weak IMO. Must be a reason he didn't make it at QPR or why Barnet and Plymouth didn't hold on to him for years and years. I like him for our level, one of the best.

I expect there isn't too much GW can do with the team to shake things up/give some a rest and hopefully he doesn't. We have a full week off as no midweek action so our best team should be raring to go come Saturday. I'd start almost the same as recent line-ups but give Okojie a start and hopefully 90 mins...
Kanu's Nan

Postby Kanu's Nan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:04 am

Alex wrote:
Jimmy Riddle wrote:Cole was flapping around on crosses which is his weakness and something he really ought to work on.

It will be interesting to see what team starts Saturday , in what is surely our biggest and most important game of the season so far

Jake certainly does seem uncomfortable when coming out to claim corners and crosses. He probably does already work on that side of his game but is 32 now and I know keepers can play on until quite a late age but I doubt even he thinks he'll get a big move back into the FL. It's the only part of his game that is weak IMO. Must be a reason he didn't make it at QPR or why Barnet and Plymouth didn't hold on to him for years and years. I like him for our level, one of the best.

I expect there isn't too much GW can do with the team to shake things up/give some a rest and hopefully he doesn't. We have a full week off as no midweek action so our best team should be raring to go come Saturday. I'd start almost the same as recent line-ups but give Okojie a start and hopefully 90 mins...

Hello chaps.

When you signed Cole, in amongst all the Mickey taking about of us - both KE and I said that he'll cost you a fair few goals from crosses/corners as he struggles to deal with the high ball. Just watched the goals from your game on the twitter link above, the second is something you'd see on a football bloopers DVD! But if he's generally wobbly in the air, it's no great surprise.

Re: the comments on Rendell above - looked like two assists for him? I'd take that. Effiong does the same sort of donkey work for us.
boingboing

Postby boingboing » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:30 am

Jake Cole was nicknamed "Dracula" at Plymouth because he didn't like crosses...! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jason

Postby Jason » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:43 am

Oliver I'm afraid you are missing the point. I agree that the goal return needs improvement, but it's not just about goals scored/directly setting up goals. It's about intelligent play and taking the flack/doing the donkey work, which allows space for others to flourish.

Neither Rendell or McClure are the perfect players, but they get unfair criticism.
New recruit

Postby New recruit » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Just a thought ...what will Maidenheads pitch look like in Feb

Return to “ShotsTalk”