Goalkeeper

aldershot-jg

Re: Goalkeeper

Postby aldershot-jg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Last season we made a number of changes for the cup games and it back fired on us. After 4 games without a win Saturday is ideal to get us back on track.
aldershot-jg

Postby aldershot-jg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Oliver11 wrote:Rendell in goal, he's playing that deep.......

No, he's done that already, ironically v Torquay iirc!

Correct, Brett Williams caught Cole late on cutting his leg open, believe we had used all our subs so Rendell had to spend the last 5 in goal.
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:43 pm

I don't think those like me that are happy for Smith to get a game have the knives out for Cole.
He is a very good keeper and an excellent shot stopper, but I have faith in our squad and rotation is a good thing (we have lost games this season due to tired players in my opinion). Give Smith a game with a strong defence. He is good enough.
scorp

Postby scorp » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:28 am

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Oliver11 wrote:Rendell in goal, he's playing that deep.......

No, he's done that already, ironically v Torquay iirc!

Yes.

https://www.theshots.co.uk/shots-1-torquay-united-1/
steveshot

Postby steveshot » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:59 am

Such a great prize at stake and some say drop Jake, shock horror get your heads read
Giles

Postby Giles » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 am

For me its not dropping him, Gallagher, Fenelon, McClure, Rendell and others have all had a rest on the bench so far this season so why should the keeper be different? we are very lucky to have 2 damn good keepers and lets not forget Smith was keeping Jake out of the side early last season. Give Phil a game.
Steve Stairs elbow

Postby Steve Stairs elbow » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:48 pm

I agree with Giles
Aldershot_Rob

Postby Aldershot_Rob » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Don't give calamity Phil a go, I much prefer Mark Smith, plus we're already paying him ;)
Richard Petty

Postby Richard Petty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:44 pm

Jake Cole on Saturday without a shadow of doubt

FA Cup may not hold the same level of importance to some Premier League clubs these days but for a club at our level its not just hugely important financially but also from a footballing point of view. I very much doubt that anyone would want us to miss out on doing a Sutton and getting a game against Arsenal just to give Mark Smith some game time.

Saturday needs our strongest and most experienced team available giving a 100% performance and a chance to progress to the next rounds
South Stand Blue

Postby South Stand Blue » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Jake Cole is rightly our No1 keeper and it's a no brainer he should play on Saturday.
Jimmy Riddle

Postby Jimmy Riddle » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Richard Petty wrote:Jake Cole on Saturday without a shadow of doubt

FA Cup may not hold the same level of importance to some Premier League clubs these days but for a club at our level its not just hugely important financially but also from a footballing point of view. I very much doubt that anyone would want us to miss out on doing a Sutton and getting a game against Arsenal just to give Mark Smith some game time.

Saturday needs our strongest and most experienced team available giving a 100% performance and a chance to progress to the next rounds

100%. Smithy is a great understudy, he is not first choice and needs to be on the bench Saturday. it really is a must win game( we obviously need the money). We cannot afford to lose this game, whereas we can afford to lose at home to Tranmere.
Tongham Shots

Postby Tongham Shots » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Jimmy Riddle wrote:
Richard Petty wrote:Jake Cole on Saturday without a shadow of doubt

100%. Smithy is a great understudy, he is not first choice and needs to be on the bench Saturday. it really is a must win game( we obviously need the money). We cannot afford to lose this game, whereas we can afford to lose at home to Tranmere.

+1
Dr Jim Royle

Postby Dr Jim Royle » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 pm

There are times squad rotation is a good idea and needed. However this Saturday is not such an occasion. We must play our strongest starting line up and that theory pretty much goes in my opinion for most games. We are not exactly a Man City or United so its limited choice when rotation such a luxury to afford.
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Morrissey's Scorcher wrote:Blimey I've only seen our home games so I can't comment on the away matches but Jake Cole is damn good keeper at this level and the best we have available. The FA Cup is our best way of making some serious money this season, though obviously we wouldn't use any of it to strengthen the team, that it seems is left for the supporters to fund. After last seasons awful defeat at home to Eastbourne we really don't want to go out meekly again.

That is an excellent post.Again where is thr Kanu money?
Alex

Postby Alex » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Just for the Cole doubters...

2 very important big saves today when still 0-0 despite having a mostly quiet afternoon. Concentrates well!

Tip around the post at full stretch in the first half and a good parrying stop low down to keep out a free kick during the second.

Top keeper!

Return to “ShotsTalk”