Aldershot Town and Aldershot f.c.

Birdman

Re: Aldershot Town and Aldershot f.c.

Postby Birdman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:40 am

lanternhall wrote:
Vonpinkus wrote:But why is it a new ground? Surely getting back to wining ways and then out of this league is more important.

No the future is important. A long term ideal. Not just surviving from season to season. I have said it before. We were playing Reading, Bournemouth, Shrewsbury and Brighton a few years ago. Why have they progressed and not us? Answer is they built a decent ground.

And had 'a bit of dosh' to help do it.
Vonpinkus

Postby Vonpinkus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:52 am

But who is going to provide this long tem deal? As birdman said we do need some dosh.
Also the clubs that you mention have had substantial amounts of money pumped into them. These clubs with their new stadiums
Still do not make me want to go and watch them.
I will be at the shots today standing on the Slab no doubt getting wet but will still enjoy the experience come win or lose.
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:59 am

Vonpinkus wrote:But who is going to provide this long tem deal? As birdman said we do need some dosh.
Also the clubs that you mention have had substantial amounts of money pumped into them. These clubs with their new stadiums
Still do not make me want to go and watch them.
I will be at the shots today standing on the Slab no doubt getting wet but will still enjoy the experience come win or lose.

Good on you. When I started watching shots 4,000 to 5,000 were doing that. Now it is just about 2,000 . How many in 2-3 years?
80fc

Postby 80fc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:07 pm

lanternhall wrote:The future of the club is a new ground. Don't believe that I hear a lot about that.

Just ask Darlington and Rushden what a new ground can do for you
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 pm

80fc wrote:
lanternhall wrote:The future of the club is a new ground. Don't believe that I hear a lot about that.

Why not ask Bournemouth, Brighton and Reading..
Vonpinkus

Postby Vonpinkus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Lanternhall
I do respect what you are saying about a new ground. But it is success on the pitch that will bring back the support,you and I have supported the shots for a very long time,but times change and there are now so many other choices for people to spend their leisure time.

80fc

Postby 80fc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:31 pm

lanternhall wrote:
80fc wrote:

They had a decent team their own ground and a wealthy backer to start with
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Exactly they owned their own ground. Untill or if we ever do the club is going nowhere.
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:57 pm

With regard to Reading, I'm still of the view that if they hadn't had multi-millionaire John Madejski as their Chairman they'd still be playing at Elm Park. I fully concede that he had plans and ambition for RFC to be a top flight club but he also had his money and funds from the sale of Elm Park to help finance it (*or maybe not; see below). I don't know if he received any assistance (financial and/or land) from Reading's council but now with the current financial restraints that councils are under I'd imagine that council help would be a darn sight harder.

WARNING! Two articles about The Mad Stad and Elm Park. DO NOT READ IF YOU'RE VEHEMENTLY ANTI-READING!

Ok, I know it's Wiki but it's interesting all the same :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madejski_Stadium

*Looking at the end of the first paragraph under 'History', it looks like Elm Park was leased from a local councillor and I can see no mention of RFC buying the ground :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elm_Park_(stadium)
ShotOnTarget

Postby ShotOnTarget » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:15 pm

Birdman wrote:With regard to Reading, I'm still of the view that if they hadn't had multi-millionaire John Madejski as their Chairman they'd still be playing at Elm Park.

Yep. And AFC Wimbledon would not exist if MK Dons had not been formed. And England would have won the world cup if the hand of god hadn't have intervened. And if Madejskis mother had felt ill rather than frisky on the night he was concieved Reading would have not had a benefactor called Madejski.

This type of speculation as to 'what might (not) have happened if' is irrelevant. Reading might have gone bust years ago. But they didn't.

The past can't be changed. the future is a whole different matter.
team from clanmell

Postby team from clanmell » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:14 am

Fair play to you Aldershot will always be Aldershot.
Your following is from days gone by and people have kept the faith. You will never be a football league side again, unless someone is willing to lose 3_4 million a year. It might come good for that person, look at Bournmouth, though i am sure that will eventually end in tears.
Please dont think i am knocking, i am not, the reality is the working mans game is dead. Watching Aldershot v fylde does nor appeal to 99.9 of the local population.
I do like the positiveness of Laternhall who does want more, that is what is needed in this area. We all know Farnborough Town should never have come into exsistance, two failed clubs in the area is a nonsence all efforts by the local council should have gone into one. Council cant afford any now as we have a massive growing population which has to somehow be supported ( thank you Joanna).
In short Aldershot will always be Aldershot.
lowerbourneshot

Postby lowerbourneshot » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:08 pm

80fc wrote:
lanternhall wrote:
80fc wrote:Just ask Darlington and Rushden what a new ground can do for you

Brighton didn't own their own ground . The Goldstone was sold for £56.12 ,they didn't own Priestfield and they didn't own The Withdean. Yet they got too The Championship a couple of times before Tony Bloom stepped in.
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:22 pm

lowerbourneshot wrote:
80fc wrote:
lanternhall wrote:Why not ask Bournemouth, Brighton and Reading..

Brighton didn't own their own ground . The Goldstone was sold for £56.12 ,they didn't own Priestfield and they didn't own The Withdean. Yet they got too The Championship a couple of times before Tony Bloom stepped in.

People tend to forget these little details.
Bournemouth are also in the Premier league with a ground with 11,000 capacity.
Oliver11

Postby Oliver11 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Our stadium is like having a 4.0l engine in a Larda car - great pitch as for stands etc......

It says a lot for the club and remember the same outlook 30 years ago watching the game - haven't times changed and people wanting better facilities?
ShotOnTarget

Postby ShotOnTarget » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Return to “ShotsTalk”