Help needed with pre-1926 info, please

Statto

Help needed with pre-1926 info, please

Postby Statto » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi all

I have been contacted by somebody who is writing a book about various football grounds and I was wondering if anyone can assist me in providing said person with some information, please (I can provide some info, but I'm trying to give them as much info as possible).

Thanks in advance.

Their e-mail reads as follows..........

I believe that the Recreation Ground appears to have been in use long before 1926, but as a cricket ground. Scouring the online Hampshire Chronicle archives, the following reference to a cricket match played there in July 1859 states:

"A match was played on Monday last between Crondall and the Aldershot Juniors on the Recreation Ground, opposite the Boulter's Hotel, Aldershot."

It seems Boulter’s was located opposite where the current ground now stands, so it must be the same place. Do you know when the Rec was opened as a sports ground/public park, and what use it was put to before Aldershot FC moved in?

I was also very interested to read an article in the Aldershot Military Gazette, dated 1889, that states..........

"Great interest was manifested in the tournament arranged by the Aldershot Football Club. It took place on Saturday. All the crack teams of the neighbourhood entered the lists, and although some unfortunately were unable to compete owing other engagements, the general success of the affair was not materially affected. This is the fifth annual tournament promoted by the club, and we must certainly award them great praise for their enterprise, and also congratulate them on the successful issue to which they have on all occasions brought the meeting. This year's tournament without doubt presided (sic) some of the most exciting and interesting competitions that hare ever taken place at the well-known Ash Road Ground."

Further digging reveals Aldershot FC were told they could not affiliate to the Surrey FA (1894 – Source: Nottingham Evening Post) . A 1902 article in the Sportsman says Aldershot Football Club played at Eggars Hill. Do you know whereabouts?

Do you know who the pre-1926 Aldershot FC were? The logical assumption is they were a military team. The 1894 date also ties in with the formation of the Aldershot Senior League, initially run for military teams.
Wanderer

Re: Help needed with pre-1926 info, please

Postby Wanderer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Ancient Shot

Postby Ancient Shot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Roger D

Postby Roger D » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 pm

The 1859 cricket match was probably not played on the Rec as we know it today. Boulter's Hotel was the building that was until recently home to the Source and it is likely the match was played that side of the railway line. (Obviously the railway line didn't exist then so the pitch quite possibly cut across that.) John Boulter was also the first known brewer in Aldershot, running the Eagle Brewery which he later re-named the Royal Eagle Brewery. The first meetings about bringing the railway to the town were held there, the original proposal was for the station to be built on the Rec however the gradient did for that. The rec was used as a mixed army camp site / public area in WW1. A soldier was killed after being impaled on a fence climbing into the public side to meet his, watching, girlfriend. The war also did for plans to form a town football team, a public meeting had been called to this end in August 1914, unsurprisingly this was cancelled.

The Eggar's Hill ground was very close to where the Tracco club is today. It was infamously boggy. Probably the biggest match played there was Tracco v Wycombe in the FA Amateur Cup. Spurs signed a Tracco player off the back off that cup run. Other main ground s were at Brighton Road, Lower Farnham Road (which had a stand) and on what is now Queen's Avenue.

It is unlikely Aldershot FC were an army based team. The army lads tended to represent the regiment. In the early days the army teams were the best in the town, even in 1913/14 the Queen's Bays were recognised as the best team in town. Many of those men were likely to have suffered / died at Nery in the early days of WW1. Other leading town teams included Aldershot Institute, Aldershot Town, Whitehall Works and Tracco.
James E

Postby James E » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:16 pm

A view from the north side of the ground - taken on 10 Nov 1914.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23864716@N04/2306991251
doylie

Postby doylie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 pm

I have records and match reports which state that Woking played “Aldershot” formed in 1892 (or in some instances called “Aldershot Town”) four times from 1893 to 1919. Only once away, a 3-5 defeat for the Cremators on November 24th 1894, you may be able to find venue details in match reports which can be found in the West Surrey Times on micro phish at the Surrey History Centre in Goldsworth Road Woking.

As far as I’m aware/led to believe this is the same Aldershot which evolved into the 1926/1992 version. In fact (from memory) I have one Woking News and Mail match report from a 6-0 Woking home win on Boxing Day 1919, which mentions Aldershot “Town” wearing Red and Blue, it was the Isthmian League gentleman’s tradition for the home team to change their shirts if the colours clashed in those days. From memory the crowd was about 1100.
James E

Postby James E » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:41 pm

This is an even earlier photo of what is now the Rec - dated 1891.

https://www.francisfrith.com/aldershot/ ... 1891_28678

Howard Cole's History of Aldershot records that the ground was first levelled in 1905, and it seems likely that the original stone terracing (i.e. the base of the North Stand) was built then.
Statto

Postby Statto » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Thank you very much folks for all that excellent info. It was a learning experience for me, too.
Morrissey's Scorcher

Postby Morrissey's Scorcher » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 pm

Very interesting thread with some fascinating photographs, sadly I can't assist with early match info but here is a view of the Rec from the High Street apparently taken in 1910. Note the wooden fence on the left to the High Street and the steps on the right that are of course still there.

[click for larger image]

supershots

Postby supershots » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 pm

if I am not mistaken is that not Dr Royle sitting in the picture? :lol:
supershots

Postby supershots » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:04 pm

Statto wrote:Thank you very much folks for all that excellent info. It was a learning experience for me, too.

Don't know why you were around to see it in person I believe :shock:
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:26 pm

supershots wrote:
Statto wrote:Thank you very much folks for all that excellent info. It was a learning experience for me, too.

Don't know why you were around to see it in person I believe :shock:

:lol:
ganesh

Postby ganesh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm

hi statto have a look on my website www.historyofaldershot.co.uk under sport and clubs and near the bottom of the run is a photo from 1914 of a military parade
Statto

Postby Statto » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:52 pm

ganesh wrote:hi statto have a look on my website http://www.historyofaldershot.co.uk under sport and clubs and near the bottom of the run is a photo from 1914 of a military parade
Thanks ganesh.
Me Mums a Shot

Postby Me Mums a Shot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:30 pm

ganesh wrote:hi statto have a look on my website http://www.historyofaldershot.co.uk under sport and clubs and near the bottom of the run is a photo from 1914 of a military parade

Great website Pete and loving the photo of ickle toddler Pete!

Question though - are you wearing your crocs with those shorts and socks?! :lol:

Return to “ShotsTalk”