Shot For A Day - play at the EBB, managed by Gary & James

sgibbs

Shot For A Day - play at the EBB, managed by Gary & James

Postby sgibbs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:17 pm

Aldershot Town have a unique Christmas present opportunity for the fan who has everything – the chance to be a Shots player for a day and be managed by Gary Waddock and James Rowe!

On Monday 8 January, two squads of 15 players, led by Gary and James and coached on the day by first-team players, will play at the EBB Stadium in a full 90-minute match alongside a handful of Shots legends!

Both squads will prepare professionally for the game, with a pre-match meal, warm-up and team-talks from their respective managers, followed by kick-off at 7pm. All participants will receive a one-off ‘Shot For A Day’ playing shirt, in either red or blue, with their name and squad number on the back.

Bids from £70 are invited for 30 playing positions, plus two Assistant Managers to work with Gary and James for those fans whose fitness isn’t what it used to be! Rolling substitutions, though, will be in operation throughout the game.

This fantastic opportunity is a must for every Aldershot Town supporter!

Please email your bids to Mark Butler via mark.butler@theshots.co.uk by 3pm on Monday 11 December. We need your full name, age, a contact telephone number and shirt size, plus a preferred playing position and second-favourite position. We also request that your email be followed-up with a phone call to take your debit card details, which will guarantee your bid.

The names of the 30 highest bidders will be listed on the Club website, but only the four lowest bids in the ‘relegation zone’ will show the amount bid.

“This event has been inspired by our fans’ response to the recent Sportsmans Dinner auction for a team to play against a Shots Legends XI, and now we want to give individuals the same opportunity,” explained Butler. “I’m really looking forward to playing myself and I’m sure every Shots supporter will be really excited about the prospect of playing at the EBB Stadium and being managed by Gary or James. We hope that this unique gift will make a few people’s Christmases!”
dalinz

Re: Shot For A Day - play at the EBB, managed by Gary & James

Postby dalinz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:20 pm

This is a great idea and I'm sure will be a fabulous experience.

Disappointing though that it's another exclusive like the poppy shirt sale. We really need to include and give opportunity to all our supporters to have a chance to win one of the places available; not just the wealthy.

With a bit of thought, 20 places could be auctioned and the other 10 made as wild cards for anyone buying a raffle ticket at a set price. There are various possibilities but we must be inclusive.
Arnie

Postby Arnie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:39 am

dalinz wrote:This is a great idea and I'm sure will be a fabulous experience.

Disappointing though that it's another exclusive like the poppy shirt sale. We really need to include and give opportunity to all our supporters to have a chance to win one of the places available; not just the wealthy.

With a bit of thought, 20 places could be auctioned and the other 10 made as wild cards for anyone buying a raffle ticket at a set price. There are various possibilities but we must be inclusive.

Having done this back in 2003, I think it’s fantastic that the club have brought this opportunity back but have to disagree Da Linz that it’s “another exclusive”.

I personally think £70 is very reasonable for what you get and to play under the floodlights at the Rec. Yes, there are plenty of other things the club could do, maybe are doing behind the scenes, but think they should be applauded for listening to fans in this instance and bringing this particular fundraiser back.
Alex

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:39 am

Arnie wrote:

I personally think £70 is very reasonable for what you get and to play under the floodlights at the Rec

You're right, that price is very very reasonable for what you get, but (and I guess this is what dalinz means) I'll be amazed if £70 is a winning bid. Considering most of the successful players poppy shirts bids ended up being £120+ I'd expect winning values for this to be £200-£500 which probably would be far too much money for some. But, of course, I could be totally wrong! :lol:
Melbourne Red

Postby Melbourne Red » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 am

I played in the 2003 version and it was great fun. As I recall that was at the end of the season though, so nice weather. Could be hard work playing in January!
Trust in Gary

Postby Trust in Gary » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Is there going to be a regular update for this as having made a bid this morning it would be good to no if still within a chance of winning or have to increase the bids.
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Trust in Gary wrote:Is there going to be a regular update for this as having made a bid this morning it would be good to no if still within a chance of winning or have to increase the bids.

I would assume that it'll be like the Poppy Shirts auction where there were updates every couple of days or so (but only the four lowest bids will be shown).

Talking of updates, there's a dozen names listed to play at the moment. The assistant manager positions need to be added, Mr G (or have I misunderstood the offer?) "Bids from £70 are invited for 30 playing positions, plus two Assistant Managers to work with Gary and James for those fans whose fitness isn’t what it used to be! Rolling substitutions, though, will be in operation throughout the game" :- https://www.theshots.co.uk/shot-for-a-day-2018/
Aldershot_Rob

Postby Aldershot_Rob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:05 pm

Out of interest, will the game be available for fans to watch?
Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Great thinking. Totally agree with you. £70( min) is a lot of money for people especially at this time of year. Freeing up 10 places, and doing it on a raffle would be brilliant and perhaps the club could make even more money. For example at £5 a pop, you only need to sell 140 tickets to make the same money as another 10 people paying £70.

Be great if the club could free up a few places for a raffle to give everyone the chance to play under GW and JR. Do hope they consider it.
Alex

Postby Alex » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:05 am

At the moment it looks like it's going to be a vets match.
80fc

Postby 80fc » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:01 am

What happens if Gary and Jim are at Orient by then?
militaryshot

Postby militaryshot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:12 am

Jim ? , if you mean james, then i reckon who ever is the management at the time will be in charge when the game goes ahead.
Alex

Postby Alex » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Does anyone know how much actual on pitch playing time you're likely to get if taking part :?:
SW Shot

Postby SW Shot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:05 pm

80fc wrote:What happens if Gary and Jim are at Orient by then?

Then the new management team of Gary Hill and Graham Westley will be the two managers.
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Alex wrote:Does anyone know how much actual on pitch playing time you're likely to get if taking part :?:

"Rolling substitutions, though, will be in operation throughout the game." Make of that what you will.

Return to “ShotsTalk”