Report of my visit to Poland / Kris funeral

Terry Owens

Report of my visit to Poland / Kris funeral

Postby Terry Owens » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 am

My wife and I duly arrived at our hotel in Warsaw on Tuesday 2nd January and met up with Kris`s wife Kara. We also met his two sons Dom and Chris, along with their mother Anna. Also in attendance was Kris`s brother Mark and his wife Joanne. They confirmed the funeral arrangements for the next day at a church in Warsaw with a holy mass funeral. They also confirmed they would like me to do a speech during the church service about my friendship with Kris and his time at the Football Club.

During this very moving service on Wednesday which was a Catholic Holy Mass, Kris`s son Dom gave a very emotional speech about his dad and the shock of his sudden and sad death, it bought a few people to tears. I was then invited to speak via a very experienced Polish interpreter and I would like to share it with you.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************
I am proud to be able to speak amongst Kris`s family and friends here in Poland and it has been a pleasure to meet up again with Kara albeit under difficult circumstances. I have also been able to meet and speak to Kris`s sons Dom and Chris and their mother Anna.
This is a sad day today, but also a celebration of Kris`s life, including his passion for football, which is how I became friends with him.
I was born in Aldershot 70 years ago and still live there, and I have supported the club for 60 years, so the club is in my bones. I became Chairman in March 1992 for seven years. Kris became a director in February 2009 and Chairman in February 2013. Kris was in charge of the club during a very difficult period and donated lots of his time, effort, and money to try and move the club forward, including a cup match against Manchester United.
As a mark of respect, all the players wore black armbands on New Years Day against local rivals Woking, which we won 2-1.
Kris will be further remembered at our next home game on the 20th January.

When Kris left the club and moved to northern Japan, we kept in touch via emails and a few phone calls. I found Kris to be a man of integrity, honesty, kindness, generous and passionate about football. We also had many a private chat at the club and he was proud of his country Poland.
The Chairman, Directors, Team Manager, Players and support staff all send messages of sympathy for the sudden loss of Kris to all the family. Also, many of the Football Clubs Supporters sent messages of regret and condolences and when Supporters do that to a former Chairman, it means that Kris has died regretted and much respected.

I am proud to represent the Football Club as a former Chairman and current club Ambassador, but I also represent those other important people ie: the supporters, who as Kris found out, can be the lifeblood of a Football Club, and may Kris rest in peace with his mother and father and may his family remain strong during this very difficult period.
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************
After the church service, Kris was buried in the grave of his mum and dad in a very moving 15-minute graveside service. The Polish people certainly know how to bury their lost ones with all reverence and dignity, in what has been a very emotional funeral. We were then invited to a 3-course meal at a nearby hotel where I met many of Kris`s relatives and friends.
I spent 3 more days in Poland, including a sightseeing trip of Warsaw, which is steeped in history, and I visited the two Football Stadiums.

Saturday was a rest day and I kept on Shotstalk for updates on the game v Dover, what a good result that was and I left Poland at 7-30pm on Saturday night a happy man.

Kris`s family all send there thanks for the kind messages and support in general from the club. Kris`s two sons and their mother, hope to attend the home game on the 20th when we can all show respect in their company for Kris Machala.
RichShot

Re: Report of my visit to Poland / Kris funeral

Postby RichShot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:45 am

Well done Terry. Thank you.
chimpster99

Postby chimpster99 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 am

Superb stuff Terry, you are a beacon for this club and have provided a fitting and well earned tribute to Kris by attending and speaking. Looking forward to paying respects on the 20th.
steveclivebaker

Postby steveclivebaker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 am

Well done Terry as always you are a great ambassador for our club.
scorp

Postby scorp » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:32 am

steveclivebaker wrote:Well done Terry as always you are a great ambassador for our club.

+1
Zippy

Postby Zippy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:24 pm

scorp wrote:
steveclivebaker wrote:Well done Terry as always you are a great ambassador for our club.

+1

+1
Mick Earls Fan Club

Postby Mick Earls Fan Club » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Very well done Terry.
A credit to the club.
Ian M

Postby Ian M » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Well said...
Reg's corner

Postby Reg's corner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks to Terry. Thanks to kris.
Lord Of The Dance

Postby Lord Of The Dance » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:11 pm

I did meet Kris on various occasions and always found him to be a very kind man, RIP Kris you did your bit for as best you could.

Thanks Terry for speaking for us all in Warsaw, a great country with great people with a great heart
Mytshot

Postby Mytshot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Well done Terry. As others have said, you are a credit to the club. It was your drive and energy all those years ago that ensures we still have football in Aldershot and I have a club to support. The fact you still do all you do for the club after all these years is a credit to you. Thank you.
shotshammo

Postby shotshammo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:59 pm

The luxury of old age
Is favoured memories
That numb the pain
With fleeting glimpses
Of the hearts eternal flame

Thank you and your wife Terry for telling Kris's Family in person, what a lovely man he was and that he will be part of the history of the club we love, forever.

Return to “ShotsTalk”