Shareholders Meeting

Nobby
Re: Shareholders Meeting

Post by Nobby » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Well if you saw that, the preceding sentence clearly stated Iain was “standing down due to extended work commitments “. I don’t see the point of whatever point you were trying to make. :lol:

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:25 pm

The problem with being a director of any football club at our level is the amount of time and commitment that it takes to run it which creates problems for those individuals if they are still wishing to be seriously proactive in their own business's. Our club has had quite a few very good people who have got involved in the past who have had to decline to go any further with us because once on board they get to see just how much of their time is needed and realise the impact that it will have on both their business's and their family life.

Fortunately some people are able and willing to step back from their business if they have a large enough structure to have directors and managers installed to run them or they are happy to let them plod on as they are. However if as a business owner you are still wanting to grow and develop that business further then sadly that can often mean that you can no longer commit the time and attention to the football club that you might otherwise wish to commit. It then follows that stepping down is for many the only practical step to take.

I am not saying that this is definitely the circumstances with Iain Ross as I don't know him well enough to comment directly on him but having talked to Ian in the past I do know that he is a very professional and successful businessman who is extremely involved with his business's and I have heard that one in particular is a very big concern and has a very positive future that I would speculate Iain wishes to manage himself. And as Nobby says in the previous post the statement made certainly indicates that this is indeed the case.

People think that being a football director is like a hobby and all fun, personally I would say its probably about one of the most stressful and time consuming business's that you can get involved in and to make matters worse you don't make money out of it you actually pay for the privilege.

I don't know if Iain Ross ever reads this site but if he does then I would certainly like to thank him for the time he has given the club and wish him all the very best for the future.
Last edited by Richard Petty on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baldershot

Post by baldershot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Also worth noting that the Confirmation Statement posted in January shows Iain (Note Scottish spelling) Ross having increased his shareholding to £35,000 from £25,000 the previous January - so he remains a significant investor.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Nobby wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm
Well if you saw that, the preceding sentence clearly stated Iain was “standing down due to extended work commitments “. I don’t see the point of whatever point you were trying to make. :lol:
Confirmation of Nobby's comment (2nd paragraph) :- https://www.theshots.co.uk/ross-stands-down/

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:45 pm

It’s all good and we are obviously going to miss him.
Thanks for all the hard work and good luck with all your other work commitments.
Good you are still investing and remain a supporter.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:28 pm

As others have said the lack of detail published makes the accounts difficult to understand the real health of the Football Club.I assume that what is published meets minimum reporting requirements according to company law. It may also explain that when Clubs admit to a serious financial problem it comes as a complete surprise to fans.

One small point, I note that the number of employed persons appears to have increased substantially and wonder if the additional cost is significant?

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:13 pm

The main thing is that the debt is manageble at the level shown in the 2016-17 accounts subject to the business not taking another hit, without the same amount of non preferance shares being issued to cover the cash deficit.
If we manage to get promotion this year we could do so with the possibility of a break even figure. This would be a fantastic achievement, considering Forest Green Rovers got promotion last season via the playoffs, with a loss of £2,158,351 for the year, which was converted into shares by the owner.

abee

Post by abee » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:53 pm

brian bloomfield wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:13 pm
The main thing is that the debt is manageble at the level shown in the 2016-17 accounts subject to the business not taking another hit, without the same amount of non preferance shares being issued to cover the cash deficit.
If we manage to get promotion this year we could do so with the possibility of a break even figure. This would be a fantastic achievement, considering Forest Green Rovers got promotion last season via the playoffs, with a loss of £2,158,351 for the year, which was converted into shares by the owner.
I agree with you Brian that this would be an excellent achievement and I assume that you are talking about a welcome P&L break even for the f/y ending June 30 2018.

Does your forecast take into account the payment of £50,244 due to the Shots 500 investors upon promotion (due to be paid in May according to the statement on the official website) and given that the numbers will be more or less the same whether promoted or not then I suppose you are stating that failing to gain promotion would leave a paper profit for the f/y of around £50k which would drop to zero if promoted.