Match Day Thread vs TRANMERE

86/87 Glory Year
Re: Match Day Thread vs TRANMERE

Post by 86/87 Glory Year » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Wow, we managed to get through this game relatively unscathed. :D

If we win the last 3 games we get 3rd place. Can not ask for more than that. :D

Oh yeah, the only problem is our form since Macclesfield home has been really poor compared to earlier in the season. Since Mac have we just won that dodgy win against Hartlepool and that last minute winner v Maidenhad and the very good win v Boreham Wood. In the form guide we must be 17th or something. :cry:

Pip@B

Post by Pip@B » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:04 pm

Disappointing, for a long time it looked like we could bring home a point.But as somebody said, they have 2 good goal scorers and we are struggling to put the ball in the net.

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Daggers on a run too

Lots of twists and turns yet...

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:08 pm

86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 pm
Wow, we managed to get through this game relatively unscathed. :D

If we win the last 3 games we get 3rd place. Can not ask for more than that. :D

Oh yeah, the only problem is our form since Macclesfield home has been really poor compared to earlier in the season. Since Mac have we just won that dodgy win against Hartlepool and that last minute winner v Maidenhad and the very good win v Boreham Wood. In the form guide we must be 17th or something. :cry:

If we win the last 3 games we get 3rd place. Can not ask for more than that

And I'm going to win the lottery tonight
And I don't even play it

Smiley face

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Got a horrible feeling we are going to mess up and drop out of those places

supershots

Post by supershots » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:19 pm

shotsfantic wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 pm
2000 Shots fans at Sutton on the last day of the season ?
yes with 1100 locked out :lol:

shotsfantic

Post by shotsfantic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:20 pm

well they'd like to think there all locked out

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Maybe...
With our current situation, we could lose our last 3 games.... and still make the playoffs

Stranger things have happened

Too much emphasis on 2/3 place
Let’s just get in the $$$$$$$&%% play offs

COYS

86/87 Glory Year

Post by 86/87 Glory Year » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:24 pm
Maybe...
With our current situation, we could lose our last 3 games.... and still make the playoffs

Stranger things have happened

Too much emphasis on 2/3 place
Let’s just get in the $$$$$$$&%% play offs

COYS
Although, I want us to get 3rd. How can we not want 1 home game to get to you know where in front of probably 6,000+. I would expect us to cock it up. Our best ever results have been when we are real underdogs. Wolves, Oxford, Hereford and West Ham. When we are favourites we fail to deliver. Atherton, Hednesford, Ebbsfleet etc. We are may be better scraping into the play offs in poor form with our fans unconvinced. We will probably do well.

Desertshot

Post by Desertshot » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 pm

bordon shot wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:48 pm
Another mistake that has cost us , the annoying thing for me is that Tranmere were no better than us before they scored. The difference is they have goal scorers. :cry:

Yup but they have loads of money.

collieboy

Post by collieboy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Doesn't really matter if your underdogs or overdogs (new word), if you cant score, don't go to the party, 9 goals and 3 wins in our last 10 games is testament 2 that, we really have gone into free fall since Macclesfield

86/87 Glory Year

Post by 86/87 Glory Year » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 pm

collieboy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 pm
Doesn't really matter if your underdogs or overdogs (new word), if you cant score, don't go to the party, 9 goals and 3 wins in our last 10 games is testament 2 that, we really have gone into free fall since Macclesfield
I know. Since that game we have been like a Barry Smith side. What has happened to us??? Leyton Orient and Dagenham away we looked like we would kick on from there but for some reason apart from Boreham Wood the performances have been poor. Don’t want to single out players but McQuoids selection is becoming a mystery. Don’t know how he played today so can’t comment but seriously is getting in the team through reputation or the manager is waiting for something to click. Something needs to change or we are danger of throwing all the seasons hard work away.

Reg's corner

Post by Reg's corner » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:34 pm

We went toe to toe today and the as we can see the difference is the strikeforce. There's only a handful of top strikers willing to play this level and others get hoovered up by the leagues. In that respect we can't compete with the clubs with highest budget but hey the playoffs are still possible. Well done shots!!

Alf W

Post by Alf W » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:23 pm

Just back and can make some comments on today. Firstly I dispel that we played anything like the sides under Barry Smith. First half was very even with us probably having the clearest chance from a corner but the shot was blocked and Lewis made one very good save.Second half it looked like 2 mistakes cost us. Firstly I think Kellerman lost posession deep in their half and Tranmere quickly broke and put a good move together with a cutting pass and decisive finish. Second Callum did his impersonation of John Stones v Italy but unfortunately it ended in a goal. So 2 errors, 2 goals, Tranmere have first rate strikers. In that department we are found wanting

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:33 pm

Tranmere do have good strikers, but that is not the only difference.

Often teams that are successful are teams that build from the back. Tranmere are fairly solid at the back and through midfield because they keep it simple and do the basics. Sometimes we over elaborate, or try and achieve things beyond our capabilities and we get punished.

Yet again it was silly mistakes that cost us, silly mistakes that you don't see a team like Tranmere make as often. The game was playing out to a 0-0 and I would have happily taken that from there, but as I say, silly mistakes cost us yet again.