One for us 'older' folk

Post Reply
Birdman
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
One for us 'older' folk

Post by Birdman » Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Ray Wilson, England's left-back in the 1966 World Cup has passed away :- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44140722

Grayshott
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:37 am
Location: Devon
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by Grayshott » Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 pm

A proper full back - got vertigo if he crossed half way line. How many more are left..??

Birdman
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by Birdman » Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Grayshott wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 pm
A proper full back - got vertigo if he crossed half way line. How many more are left..??
From memory, the Charlton brothers, Banks, Peters, Hunt, Hurst, Greaves, Stiles. I'll have to look up the rest.

Edit: The 1966 squad :- http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/engl ... england/2/

scorp
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: England
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by scorp » Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm

Birdman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 pm
Grayshott wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 pm
A proper full back - got vertigo if he crossed half way line. How many more are left..??
From memory, the Charlton brothers, Banks, Peters, Hunt, Hurst, Greaves, Stiles. I'll have to look up the rest.
I suggest you're a bit off beam there, Birdie!

Birdman
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by Birdman » Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm

scorp wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm
Birdman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 pm
Grayshott wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 pm
A proper full back - got vertigo if he crossed half way line. How many more are left..??
From memory, the Charlton brothers, Banks, Peters, Hunt, Hurst, Greaves, Stiles. I'll have to look up the rest.
I suggest you're a bit off beam there, Birdie!
How so, scorp?

scorp
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: England
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by scorp » Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Birdman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm
scorp wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm
Birdman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 pm


From memory, the Charlton brothers, Banks, Peters, Hunt, Hurst, Greaves, Stiles. I'll have to look up the rest.
I suggest you're a bit off beam there, Birdie!
How so, scorp?
Correction! You're on the beam. My bad...

Birdman
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by Birdman » Wed May 16, 2018 4:48 pm

scorp wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm
Birdman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm
scorp wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm


I suggest you're a bit off beam there, Birdie!
How so, scorp?
Correction! You're on the beam. My bad...
'Saved' for posterity. :wink: :lol:

scorp
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: England
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by scorp » Wed May 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Birdman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:48 pm
scorp wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm
Birdman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm


How so, scorp?
Correction! You're on the beam. My bad...
'Saved' for posterity. :wink: :lol:
Hmmm. Noted! I'm better at 1960s pirate radio [Radio London, Radio Caroline etc] stuff than 1960s footballers in this world or the next :wink:

shotshammo
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:44 am
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by shotshammo » Wed May 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Got to be honest, it seems like yesterday to me, especially as I'm a West Ham fan, born in Romford. It was amazing in that period the number of players that came from that area who played in the then 1st division. I have an uncle who is married to an Allen. But then everyone who lived in that area was related to a league footballer. How times have changed. The Becontree bypass which separated the Ford factory from the council houses was awash with football fields , all being used. A scouts paradise. :)

Pip@B
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:58 am
Location: more remote than Nobby's world
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by Pip@B » Wed May 16, 2018 6:45 pm

First world cup I remember watching was the 1970
Finals, but I did used to be able to name the 66 line up but memory fades so my best punt:banks,Cohen,Charlton x2,ball,Moore,Hurst,Peter's,Wilson,stiles,hunt.

Ancient Shot
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 pm
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by Ancient Shot » Wed May 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Wilson was a phenomenal left back and one of the more unsung heroes of that World Cup winning team

RIP

A Shot from Wales
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:11 am
Location: Exmoor, north Devon and Wales
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by A Shot from Wales » Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Ancient Shot wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:58 pm
Wilson was a phenomenal left back and one of the more unsung heroes of that World Cup winning team

RIP
A career shortened by injury— probably no more than 400 senior games. A true Huddersfield legend and one of the few genuine world class players to play for England.

A strong man who beat Alzheimer’s for nearly 15 years...but sadly he lost in the final round.

Birdman
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by Birdman » Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 pm

A Shot from Wales wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 pm
Ancient Shot wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:58 pm
Wilson was a phenomenal left back and one of the more unsung heroes of that World Cup winning team

RIP
A career shortened by injury— probably no more than 400 senior games. A true Huddersfield legend and one of the few genuine world class players to play for England.

A strong man who beat Alzheimer’s for nearly 15 years...but sadly he lost in the final round.
Martin Peters, Nobby Stiles and possibly Jack Charlton suffering with it. Much blame being put on the old heavy footballs that they used.

Shepperton Shot
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:56 pm
Re: One for us 'older' folk

Post by Shepperton Shot » Wed May 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Top, top player was Ramon. No silly haircuts and flash cars for him. He was a very private man.Very uncharacteristically, West Germany's first goal came from his error, but thankfully it didn't matter in the end. RIP.

shots1965
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma usa
Ray Wilson

Post by shots1965 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Died today 83
R. I. P
A REAL legend
Not like these t, ***ers we have today


Post Reply