Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

80fc
Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by 80fc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:18 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gi7gSu9ePUc
I realise now that people who said I was a idiot for voting to leave the EU were right.

supershots
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by supershots » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:20 pm

80fc wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:18 pm
I realise now that people who said I was a idiot for voting to leave the EU were right.

I have got to ask what you were doing watching that crap :shock:

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:34 pm

supershots wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:20 pm
80fc wrote:

Indeed, when’s rainbow coming back?

Desertshot

Post by Desertshot » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:38 am

supershots wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:20 pm
80fc wrote:

Coz it's funny :lol:

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 am

Forget for one minute which side you are on in the Brexit debate I saw this clip on a news programme about a week ago and what's really frightening is that whilst these are particularly ill informed people they do represent a very large proportion of young voters. I will accept thankfully not a majority but still a significant number which in any election or referendum could be great enough to affect a result.

With so much political "knowledge" gained from social media these days and no proper "Balanced" political education in schools and even Universities ill informed views spread by Facebook and Twitter are accepted as fact.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:49 am

You can`t be serious and seem a little disturbed. I hope that you get well soon.

Desertshot

Post by Desertshot » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:36 am

Richard Petty wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 am
Forget for one minute which side you are on in the Brexit debate I saw this clip on a news programme about a week ago and what's really frightening is that whilst these are particularly ill informed people they do represent a very large proportion of young voters. I will accept thankfully not a majority but still a significant number which in any election or referendum could be great enough to affect a result.

With so much political "knowledge" gained from social media these days and no proper "Balanced" political education in schools and even Universities ill informed views spread by Facebook and Twitter are accepted as fact.
Having been directly involved with the referendum and the last election campaigns I'd say that the majority of the young people I spoke to were well informed and understood the issues. On some issues they were better informed than folk at the other end of the age spectrum. But thats just my observations based on my own experiences. I would advocate lowering the voting age to 16, that would IMO encourage more young people to engage in politics. As for FB and Twitter I think they are all part of the conversation. Re your point about Uni's I do agree that institutions that are relied upon to report accurate information should act responsibly..... Like the Daily Mail and The Sun, what fine examples of fair and balance British journalism. :wink:
Last edited by Desertshot on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:41 am

Or they could concentrate on doing something worthwhile with their lives.
I work with some very intelligent young people and none of them have the slightest interest in politics.

Desertshot

Post by Desertshot » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:58 am

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:41 am
Or they could concentrate on doing something worthwhile with their lives.
I work with some very intelligent young people and none of them have the slightest interest in politics.
It is a shame that some young people have become so disinterested in or disillusioned with politics. I think the recent referendum has helped tho. It was very different in my teens and 20's. I loved to discuss the issues of the day and so did most of my friends (and still do) But then we had Margret Thatcher and she was extremely divisive. I've always thought educating yourself politically is worthwhile, good for yourself, country and the world. The alternative is to let others make decisions for you and that can be disastrous!

Mytshot

Post by Mytshot » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:59 am

Richard Petty wrote:

That is a very extreme example and I don’t believe represents a large proportion of young people.

With the advent of social media and communication across national boundaries, young people are increasingly viewing the world as a borderless society. Young people can’t equate why we would want to restrict free movement when that fundamentally goes against their future view of the world.

They would argue that the older generation is equally ‘ill-informed’ by not understanding how the world is changing in this respect.

Desertshot

Post by Desertshot » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:50 pm

Mytshot wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:59 am
Richard Petty wrote:

That is a very extreme example and I don’t believe represents a large proportion of young people.

With the advent of social media and communication across national boundaries, young people are increasingly viewing the world as a borderless society. Young people can’t equate why we would want to restrict free movement when that fundamentally goes against their future view of the world.

They would argue that the older generation is equally ‘ill-informed’ by not understanding how the world is changing in this respect.
I agree with you 100% Myshot, Also many young people are angry with the way they feel they have been treated by the so called 'Baby Boomers' many of whom have done very well thank you out of the UK's economic growth during the 40 or so years they were active in it. Many BB's have excellent pensions and large sums of money tied up in property equity. They feel rightly or wrongly that being part of the EU helped the UK's success not just in economic terms but the progressive forward thinking society they wan't to live in. They simply can't see how leaving the EU will help them in the future. They see it as regressive and generally a bad idea. So they feel the BB's enjoyed the benefits but don't wan't to pass that on the the next generation. But it not just about the EU is a much wider dissatisfaction with politics in general...hence the massive surge in support from young people for Mr Corbyn.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Mytshot wrote:
Richard Petty wrote:

I do not expect young people to understand the hard world out there, but they will one day if they are given the chance to grow up.Just my experience when I was a young man and saw many things through rose tinted spectacles.

80fc

Post by 80fc » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:18 pm

I'm glad my original post has opened up a fair debate. However my post was really to comment that having voted leave I was accused of being ill informed and an idiot for ruining the country for our young people. What I saw in this clip were young people who thought leaving the EU meant we had to cut down all our trees and no more Spanish holidays, and it was me who was the idiot

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:26 pm

Mytshot wrote:
Richard Petty wrote:

Free movement is fine in principle and I'm not against it as such although with a reservation or two which will contradict to a degree what I've just said. Namely, passport checks on entry and exit and being able to reject or eject undesirables. The issue that I do have is when a country has a big influx of people in a relatively short space of time that it can't comfortably deal with. Yes, there are benefits in people coming here to work (in various occupations, skilled and unskilled and doing jobs that we have a shortage in or that 'we' don't like or want to do) but there are also the problems of trying to accommodate them in our social system. Housing is a major issue that won't be fixed overnight, additional strain on the NHS, available school places (if you voted 'Remain' in the Referendum, and I'm thinking mainly of London here, don't complain about not getting your child into your preferred choice of school).
So yes, fine with the principle, but not an open door policy.

slaphead

Post by slaphead » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:31 pm

The issue I have with our ‘youth’ is, depending on which poll you believe, less than 27% actually got off their arses and voted. Now they are all crying about how ‘the old people’ have stolen their future. Kids, eh?