Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post Reply
tonygodfrey
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:28 pm
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by tonygodfrey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:58 pm

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:20 pm
Found this whole thread very interesting:

https://twitter.com/ldobsonhughes/statu ... 03821?s=19
Agree, that is a very good read. Also worth saying that although there are enough disgruntled Tory MP's to mount a challenge against the PM, there probably aren't enough to pass the vote of no confidence in her. Were she to survive she couldn’t be challenged by her own MPs for another year. We could very easily be in for a very long period of parliamentary stalemate.

Just read that Brexiteer Tory MP Henry Smith has turned down an invitation to watch tomorrow's game at No.10 because of his dislike of the PM's new proposals.

Get a grip man! Just as we can all unite behind the Shots surely English MPs can all unite behind the national team?

Birdman
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by Birdman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 pm

ACA wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm
If by "subservience to the ECHR" you are referring to the European Convention on Human Rights (or the European Court of Human Rights), that has absolutely nothing to do with the European Union. It's completely separate and distinct and is totally unaffected by Brexit.
A mistake that is often made, ACA.

ACA
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:54 am
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by ACA » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Indeed. Maybe that should have been my contribution to the "not a lot of people know that" thread :wink:

tonygodfrey
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:28 pm
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by tonygodfrey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 pm

ACA wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm
If by "subservience to the ECHR" you are referring to the European Convention on Human Rights (or the European Court of Human Rights), that has absolutely nothing to do with the European Union. It's completely separate and distinct and is totally unaffected by Brexit.
Am afraid, ACA, that that is typical of so much opposition to the EU. It is often well thought out but based on factually incorrect information propagated by UKIP types and the (in my view completely biased) Tory press.

80fc
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by 80fc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Birdman wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:00 pm
You must've read my mind, 80fc (not a lot to delve through but, hey ho). I was going to ask you earlier today if you expected your opening post to lead to what it's become.
Have we beaten the Boreham Wood thread yet?

Stenhouse
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:58 am
Location: Farnborough
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by Stenhouse » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:26 pm

ACA wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm
If by "subservience to the ECHR" you are referring to the European Convention on Human Rights (or the European Court of Human Rights), that has absolutely nothing to do with the European Union. It's completely separate and distinct and is totally unaffected by Brexit.
Thank you for pointing the above out to me ACA. However, do you have any comment about the rest of the contents of my post?

ACA
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:54 am
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by ACA » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:35 pm

I've nothing to add that hasn't already been said over the previous twenty three pages!

Birdman
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by Birdman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 pm

80fc wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 pm
Birdman wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:00 pm
You must've read my mind, 80fc (not a lot to delve through but, hey ho). I was going to ask you earlier today if you expected your opening post to lead to what it's become.
Have we beaten the Boreham Wood thread yet?
I told you that there's not a lot to delve through and as such, I ain't got a clue. It does though exceed the thread that I started two years ago about how Rushmoor had voted in the Referendum. That, if I recall correctly, went to 15-16 pages.

Charles Dickens
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:38 am
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by Charles Dickens » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:42 pm

tonygodfrey wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 pm
ACA wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm
If by "subservience to the ECHR" you are referring to the European Convention on Human Rights (or the European Court of Human Rights), that has absolutely nothing to do with the European Union. It's completely separate and distinct and is totally unaffected by Brexit.
Am afraid, ACA, that that is typical of so much opposition to the EU. It is often well thought out but based on factually incorrect information propagated by UKIP types and the (in my view completely biased) Tory press.
Talking of factually incorrect information, do you not consider the Times and Daily Mail as Tory press when making your argument on bias?

ians
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by ians » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:55 pm
Jason I agree about discussing the threat of Corbyn and Labour based on their UK policies its just the personal bit about his (rightly or wrongly) perceived allegiances that somehow always seems to turn a bit nasty when discussed, that was my concern.

I fear a labour government for a number of reasons.

1. They are every bit as divided on Brexit so that will not improve our situation at all.

2. They do have what sound like good suggestions when read out as soundbites but they cannot fully explain where the money will come from to fund them. John McDonald says they will borrow the money. That's what the last Labour Government did it and nearly bankrupted us. remember the note left on the treasury desk by Liam Byrne when Labour lost Power "'Dear chief secretary, I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left".

3. They want to give back power to the Trade Unions that it took years to sensibly remodel in order to get to the balanced level of power they have now

4. For all their talk of peoples rights and freedoms they have very little regard for that in the real world and Momentum in particular is designed to silence and intimidate opposition to the parties view (To be fair there are many in the labour party who detest Momentum but they have no power in the party) What's really worrying is how that intimidation is sometimes not just verbal but physical.

5. They have side-lined and politically castrated the more experienced MP's in their party so unless Labour changes direction and reappoints some of the more experienced MP's to the front bench then Labour winning a general election would leave us with the country being run by a government with no knowledge or experience of how things work and what to do.

6. The litmus test. If you have a government as bruised, battered and on its knees as the Conservatives and yet as the opposition you constantly lose the arguments and cannot impress the public (Latest polls show both parties neck and neck) then what confidence can anyone have in them as a future government.

As I said in a previous post I may be a Conservative myself but I am screaming out for a good opposition because that's what a government needs to keep it on track and focused.
Some interesting posts here Richard but some need to be slightly disected.
1. Obviously true nobody really has the slightest clue what Labour stand for on Brexit
2. Labour did not bankrupt the country by over borrowing or reckless spending, it was a global crash and they had no choice but to bail out the banks. If the Tories had been in power it would probably are been worse as they wanted more deregulation of the banking system that actually caused the problem. As for the letter you may not be aware that they were not the first government to leave power with such a note, this was first done by the Tories in the 60’s.
3. Lazy comment harking back to the 70’s no real evidence of this, typical political scaremongering. Have a look at the Sweden model of trade unions and business, it’s the way to go.
4. Would tend to agree and socialism as a whole has this look around the world
5. Any new government that is a party coming into power after some time will have a very inexperienced set of people, if we took that argument then you are really saying never change your government
6. Agreed Corbyn plainly seen as a huge risk hence the polls, however when you might say look at the 70’s for a reckless over spending government I could say look at the 46-51 government who created so much that we now depend on despite the fact that there was strangely no money......but they didn’t bankrupt the country.

shots1965
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma usa
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by shots1965 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 am

Yawn a zillion times
Why don't you guys/girls

Meet up in a pub somewhere
And bore yourselves stupid

Stop boring us
We don't give a toss
THIS IS A FOOTBALL FORUM

80fc
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by 80fc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 am

shots1965 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 am
Yawn a zillion times
Why don't you guys/girls

Meet up in a pub somewhere
And bore yourselves stupid

Stop boring us
We don't give a toss
THIS IS A FOOTBALL FORUM
Which bit of the title of this thread don't you understand?

Dom Sterlings Left Leg
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:00 pm
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:04 am

I've kept out of this, but following it I feel it gives a perfect window into the whole brexit divide.

On the one side you have people who wish to leave who hold that view for the base reason that they feel Britain should be an independent state that decides its own future.

On the other hand you have the Remainers that talk in dominant tones with absolute clarity on the future. Very self important, they give the impression that they have all the answers if only we would listen.

The one thing I have never heard from the remain side is one convincing POSITIVE reason for staying in the EU. We know your arguments about the supposed doom of leaving, but what about a positive reason for staying in...

redandbluescb
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 9:29 pm
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by redandbluescb » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 am

ITS COMING HOME....VINDALOO.....SOUTHGATE FOR P.M.

redblueuptoyou
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 1:52 pm
Re: Brexit has ruined our country for our youth

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 am

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:04 am
I've kept out of this, but following it I feel it gives a perfect window into the whole brexit divide.

On the one side you have people who wish to leave who hold that view for the base reason that they feel Britain should be an independent state that decides its own future.

On the other hand you have the Remainers that talk in dominant tones with absolute clarity on the future. Very self important, they give the impression that they have all the answers if only we would listen.

The one thing I have never heard from the remain side is one convincing POSITIVE reason for staying in the EU. We know your arguments about the supposed doom of leaving, but what about a positive reason for staying in...
In my experience, the 'dominant tones' come from Leave voters with archaic views...


Post Reply