Tonight vs Chesterfield

DH
Re: Tonight vs Chesterfield

Post by DH » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:40 pm

bordon shot wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:35 pm
Weren't in the game at all tonight & Chesterfield totally bossed it, but is there any need for the message board to into meltdown after just 2 games.
I can’t remember who it was but a few years ago a well known manager observed that some fans had been watching football for years and can’t be fooled about good or bad their side is. Well I’ve been following the Shots for over forty years and have seen good sides and bad ones. The current side is pretty poor and needs to improve quickly.

It’s not meltdown it’s genuine concern being voiced by people who have in the main been fans for many years.

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:46 pm

bordon shot wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:35 pm
Weren't in the game at all tonight & Chesterfield totally bossed it, but is there any need for the message board to into meltdown after just 2 games.
The problem is that it just feels a little predictable and you get that feeling this might be a bit of a dissapointing season.

We all want to believe everything will be okay and soon we will start flying up the table but there are some worrying signs which frustratingly arent new.... even though the personnel is..

I still cant get my head around our pre season, to me it seemer very odd playing so few games... Only 1 at home... What? We dont seem very well prepared for the season and you get the impression these first few games will see a lot of changes until something starts to click but this isnt the time for that, there are no excuses for not being prepared.

SW Shot

Post by SW Shot » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:03 pm

I may be wrong but the last time we lost our 2nd game of the season 3-0 was 07/08 and look how that ended....

Wasn’t there tonight so can’t comment but some of the comments on here are ridiculous. We’ve played the two relegated teams so far, and on paper our first 8 or so games look tough and I fully expect us to be lower mid-table come the start of Sep. But trust in GW and JR, some people have very short memories.

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:19 pm

No excuses from GW.

He’s clearly not happy after these first 2 games.

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:27 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:39 pm
Josh wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:51 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:46 pm
No Goalscorer No Goals. Simple.
It’s really all we needed and we failed to get one.
Bottom half beckons although the fixture organiser must be a biscuit. :(
To be fair, we could have Harry Kane up front and we still wouldn'"t score with the amount of chances we have created so far this season.

Tough start but it's what some of us thought might happen.

To be fair, we could have Harry Kane up front and we still wouldn'"t score with the amount of chances we have created so far this season.

Harry Kane well overated
Hardly got a kick in the WC
Scored some pens, and a tap in.
Plus a deflection

Just saying...
Plus about 100 goals for Tottenham in the last 3 years, best English striker by a mile!

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:31 pm

Clearly there are some on here who think that relegation etc is the foregone conclusion this season as they have been saying almost as much since before the season has begun!

I don't count myself among the relegation thinkers, but I will say our pre-season preparation with several key departures, few signings to replace them and few PSF outings has not inspired me to think we have any great ambition this season.

Looks like we were as wonky as the spire of the Chuch of St Mary and All Saints in Chesterfield tonight!

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:33 pm

Shades of pre season 05 and thus far is happening!

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:27 pm
shots1965 wrote:
Josh wrote:

Harry Kane well overated
Plus a deflection

Just saying...
Plus about 100 goals for Tottenham in the last 3 years, best English striker by a mile!

Well said,by a devoted Spurs fan..

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:57 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 pm
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:27 pm
shots1965 wrote:

Harry Kane well overated
Plus a deflection

Just saying...

Well said,by a devoted Spurs fan..
Yes I’m a massive Tottenham fan!

Trouts

Post by Trouts » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:06 am

Alex wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:29 pm
161 away fans
there were more than that

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:21 am

Trouts wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:06 am
Alex wrote:
161 away fans
Yes it did look more than that my little haddock!

Norwich Nick

Post by Norwich Nick » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 am

That was a weary drive back tonight....

Yes, it is too early to be all doom and gloom, but my word that was poor. I'm really not sure what formation we thought we were playing and who was supposed to be on each wing / up front. Too many players appeared to have free roles and we lacked any cohesion whatsoever. The midfield were over-run and failed to make any runs forward that I can recall to support our infrequent forays into the Chesterfield half.

We looked second best all over the park and, most worryingly, lacked any real pace or desire. Whatever Chesterfield's resources may be, I expected a bit more of a fight (even if it might have had to be a backs to the walls defensive effort to get anything out of the game).

Much work for GW to do and not sure what options he will have given the size of the squad.

shotsfantic

Post by shotsfantic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:01 am

Josh wrote:
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:46 pm
No Goalscorer No Goals. Simple.
It’s really all we needed and we failed to get one.
Bottom half beckons although the fixture organiser must be a biscuit. :(
To be fair, we could have Harry Kane up front and we still wouldn't score with the amount of chances we have created so far this season.

We didn't have Harry Kane in the team but they did have Harry Maguires brother in their team, last time we got a result at Chesterfield was Dillons team drawing 1-1 which was hailed as a fantastic result against the eventual champions (all from memory correct me if I'm wrong) looking at Chesterfield you have to say top 3 finish or underachieving, looking at us money and infrastructure seem to be a problem but hopefully if the faithful get behind the team we can start picking up points , haven't seen us play yet as very few opportunities preseason and on hols at mo, but looking on paper going to take time for team to gel though the names on the team sheet can all perform on their day , may need one or two extra ? We owe Chesterfield one now, and it's at home, come on you reds

Headley Shot

Post by Headley Shot » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:17 am

We lost the ball three times tonight when players were pressed into errors. Those errors led to all 3 goals, so no we didn’t pass the ball properly under pressure.
Our boys wanted too much time on the ball and Chesterfield punished us time and time again.
3-0 but they hit the crossbar and post too so we were well beaten.
This isn’t the team Gary signed yet in terms of experience with Howell and McCoy injured.
Still too early to judge the squad but this division looks much harder than last year already, so those youngsters will have to bed in fast.

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:36 am

Trouts wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:06 am
Alex wrote:
161 away fans
About 240, I was sat in the main stand and took a couple of photos of the away section and just counted them.
Cannot trust Chesterfield's figures after their poor attempts at getting everyone in, they surely must get crowds of about 5,000 so why all the problems last night?