Early season contemplations

Dr Jim Royle
Re: Early season contemplations

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:19 pm

VERY EARLY THOUGHTS

A summer of rumblings of all not harmonious at Board level.

Yet again rumours of cash flow shortage

A CEO who if I passed them in the ground wouldn’t have a scoobie doo who they were, wanting to shuffle the back room staff and jobs.

Our better players of last season deciding to jump ship.

Some of our deadwood (for want of a better description) kept on.

Incoming players that so far have failed to give hope.

A Manager whose body language in the two Matchday interviews looked very peeved off.

Fans who prefer to argue amongst themselves because it’s just two games in ..... but seem to forget the form shown in second half of last season.

Moaning Old Gits like me who in the fifty plus years of supporting The Shots have seen all the above at least twenty five times in seasons past

That’s my early thoughts, argue the toss over them ....... by time I read them I’ll have forgot what I wrote 8)

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:19 pm
VERY EARLY THOUGHTS

A CEO who if I passed them in the ground wouldn’t have a scoobie doo who they were, wanting to shuffle the back room staff and jobs.

A Manager whose body language in the two Matchday interviews looked very peeved off.

Fans who prefer to argue amongst themselves because it’s just two games in ..... but seem to forget the form shown in second half of last season.

Moaning Old Gits like me who in the fifty plus years of supporting The Shots have seen all the above at least twenty five times in seasons past

That’s my early thoughts, argue the toss over them ....... by time I read them I’ll have forgot what I wrote 8)
Spot on

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:51 pm

+1

Onlooker

Post by Onlooker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Well, if we're talking off the field as well, things don't quite seem right to me. There is a different feel to the club...I don't know how to describe it really but I don't feel as much part of it as maybe previously. We seem to be adding salaried staff unnecessarily (?) and there seems to be a revolving door of board members who don't appear to contribute much (other than their initial cash injection). There don't appear to be stronger foundations, better revenue streams, better connections but maybe it is all happening...

If there is not to be a new stadium and the increased revenue that may bring, the focus must be what is on the pitch but I'm not convinced that is where the priorities are.

However, we are lucky to have GW and I'm sure he will find a way with the players at his disposal.

5shots

Post by 5shots » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Dear Richard,
I can assure you that my son bought his concession ticket (as he is a student) and I bought the very next ticket as a full price paying adult and we were given tickets at opposite ends of section behind the dug out (with a hopeless view). Now I see that you disbelieve me but you will just have to go figure because it happened! Ok?

Tongham Shots

Post by Tongham Shots » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:19 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:31 pm
Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:19 pm
VERY EARLY THOUGHTS

Spot on
Agree excellent post. Like I said last night it's going to be a long season.

Grayshott

Post by Grayshott » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Shots have been relatively successful for the past couple of season and you would have expected our best players to hang around hoping it was third time lucky -but no-one did. That tells you something and it couldn't have been just about money.

We haven't attracted one stand-out player this season, despite there being many hundreds of them only a few miles up the M3 in the great metropolis. The SE is one of the most desirable parts of the UK which should help recruitment.

The players who have been kept on suddenly realise they no longer have a free ride and they have to contribute. Are they able to and do they even want to step up to the mark. Are they ambitious or are they happy to be a below average journeyman footballer.

The new recruits probably thought they were joining a successful club but were rather shocked when they arrived. Are they the sort that will try to rouse their new comrades or will they just melt into the background and take the wages.

The new young players have probably never played a true competitive game in their life. Academy football is more like ballet, with little tacking and far too much possession football. Did any win any cups at school..? That would always be my first question when they were interviewed. Tell me about your successes.

I wasn't at either game, but did any of the Shots players seem upset, angry, did they try to encourage/admonish the others. If the midfield was overran someone must have said something - I have never played in a team where you got away with less than 100%, without a few words from your Capt or those around you.

Were there any green shoots at all?

5shots

Post by 5shots » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 am

Hi Graysott
The Barnett game was worrying, regardless of how supportive one might want to be but they are a new group and it may take a while to bed in. Let's hope that is what it was. James Rowe tried very hard on Saturday - at least he tried things!
Scott certainly raised the morale a bit when he came on.
I didn't see what Karleigh was doing to be honest but it would be great to hear from him soon.
We could really do with Nick Arnold back when fit - in my opinion he is our best player now, when 100% fit - no-one is quicker or more willing to put in the hard yards. With him back we could afford to play two up top which would take pressure off of the rest of the team.
My team (for what its worth (not much I know!) would be:
Cole (be nice to have a sub!)
Arnold/Fowler/Osbourne/Kinsella (subs Bernard, Smith)
Fenelon/McDonnell/Booty/Howell (subs Rowe, Gallagher)
Rendell/Holman (subs McClure,Wanadio, JB-A)

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:37 am

5shots wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:29 pm
Dear Richard,
I can assure you that my son bought his concession ticket (as he is a student) and I bought the very next ticket as a full price paying adult and we were given tickets at opposite ends of section behind the dug out (with a hopeless view). Now I see that you disbelieve me but you will just have to go figure because it happened! Ok?
Where did I ever suggest I didn't believe you ? I have absolutely no reason to doubt what your saying what I am confused by is how that could have happened and that's what I am trying to establish. As I have said before I may only be a volunteer but because I have helped the club with some aspects of this project I am concerned that this happened to you. I want to do my best to fully understand what could have gone wrong so that I can pass this useful information onto the club so that not only does it never happen to you again but that safeguards are put in so that it never happens to anyone else either.

In respect of having an affected view behind the dugout the club is aware of that which is why they are now sold at a cheaper price than normal seats in the North Stand.

Two more questions if I may, firstly was the turnstile operator in your opinion aware that you were both together and lastly, did you ask for the behind dugout seats or were they given to you as a mistake instead of normal North Stand seats.

I appreciate that the experience that you and your son had was not to the standard it should have been and my asking you further questions may be frustrating you further but as I said earlier in this post by finding out how something has gone wrong helps to ensure it doesn't happen again to you or anyone else.