Shots v Bantams - NO Live BBC Surrey commentary

Rob Shot (Cambs)
Shots v Bantams - NO Live BBC Surrey commentary

Post by Rob Shot (Cambs) » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm

**see update in post below**

Hi all...particularly to all 'Strays' and those who can't get to Shots games, or can't get to The EBB Stadium on Saturday.....

Unfortunately, there will NOT be any LIVE BBC Surrey Sport commentary of the Aldershot Town v Bradford City FA Cup 1st Round tie on Saturday.

It's because there is a rather hefty broadcasting fee applied to FA Cup games from the 1st Round onwards and - in line with their policy over the last few seasons, BBC Surrey will not be paying it for this match. In exceptional circumstances they may pay it (for instance they did for the Portsmouth tie a few years back)

So, on to the alternatives available:

1 - Get along to The EBB Stadium if you possibly can

2 - You can log onto the BBC.co.uk/Radio , select 'view all stations', choose BBC Surrey and 'listen live' Saturday afternoon. I'll be all set up with the usual kit and doing previews to radio approx 2:05 and 2:50, then giving match updates to radio approximately every ten minutes throughout the match.

3 - Follow @OfficialShots twitter feed

4 - Follow the match thread on Shotsweb - I'll try to ensure that I'm logged on and in - to post a few updates and answer questions

5 - ALL of 2, 3 & 4

Fingers crossed the lads perform well against League One opposition and The Shots are in the hat for Monday's draw.

COME ON THE SHOTS! :)

Shots1954
Re: Shots v Bantams - NO Live BBC Surrey commentary

Post by Shots1954 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:48 am

Rob Shot (Cambs) wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm
Hi all...particularly to all 'Strays' and those who can't get to Shots games, or can't get to The EBB Stadium on Saturday.....

Unfortunately, there will NOT be any LIVE BBC Surrey Sport commentary of the Aldershot Town v Bradford City FA Cup 1st Round tie on Saturday.

It's because there is a rather hefty broadcasting fee applied to FA Cup games from the 1st Round onwards and - in line with their policy over the last few seasons, BBC Surrey will not be paying it for this match. In exceptional circumstances they may pay it (for instance they did for the Portsmouth tie a few years back)

2 - You can log onto the BBC.co.uk/Radio , select 'view all stations', choose BBC Surrey and 'listen live' Saturday afternoon. I'll be all set up with the usual kit and doing previews to radio approx 2:05 and 2:50, then giving match updates to radio approximately every ten minutes throughout the match.

4 - Follow the match thread on Shotsweb - I'll try to ensure that I'm logged on and in - to post a few updates and answer questions

5 - ALL of 2, 3 & 4

Fingers crossed the lads perform well against League One opposition and The Shots are in the hat for Monday's draw.

That's a big shame Rob, always look forward to hearing you! Money speaks louder than words as they say!

WTF

Post by WTF » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:39 am

Shots1954 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:48 am
Rob Shot (Cambs) wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm

5 - ALL of 2, 3 & 4

That's a big shame Rob, always look forward to hearing you! Money speaks louder than words as they say!
And I was going to be wearing my lime green wellies too!

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:59 am

Sadly this is the story of sport now in this Country, money rules everything. Same as not being able to follow the Test Match on television.

Tragic in my opinion.

Duffnut

Post by Duffnut » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 pm

BBC Leeds are doing it according to the BBC site.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36722733

Reg's corner

Post by Reg's corner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:18 pm

Who charges the fee..?? Are they permitted to do this.. Cant we just ask them to waive it.. Its only 200-300 people are listening so whats the point in a charge. I can understand bbc radio 5 being charged a fee for a high profile match or itv tv.. But comon this is aldershot v little bradford.. They are shooting themselves in the foot..

Rob Shot (Cambs)

Post by Rob Shot (Cambs) » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Duffnut wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Confirmed! And great news too!

Presumably, being Bradford’s away game, it has been given priority. Likewise, should Shots earn a replay up at Bradford, I’d like to think that we’ll be priority for BBC Surrey Sport coverage....

Most importantly, there will be live comms for those that require it.

Ecuador17

Post by Ecuador17 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Duffnut wrote:

Thanks for the link Duffnut.

You have taken me out of near depression.

BillB

Post by BillB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:00 am

But.... will we be able to comprehend, or will there be a language problem . Maybe sub-titles even.........

DonnyDarko2012

Post by DonnyDarko2012 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:35 am

Duffnut wrote:

Strange that Rob or BBC Surrey didn't post this info rather than a fan having to do so.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 pm

DonnyDarko2012 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:35 am
Duffnut wrote:

Strange that Rob or BBC Surrey didn't post this info rather than a fan having to do so.
I blame our CEO!

Oh ...., hang on. :wink:

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Rob Shot (Cambs) wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:57 pm
Duffnut wrote:

Presumably, being Bradford’s away game, it has been given priority. Likewise, should Shots earn a replay up at Bradford, I’d like to think that we’ll be priority for BBC Surrey Sport coverage....

Rob did confirm it as soon as the information was posted which was obviously the soonest he knew so perhaps little unfair DonnyDarko to say that he and BBC Surrey didn't let us know, they just didn't let us know ahead of the BBC Website

DonnyDarko2012

Post by DonnyDarko2012 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:23 pm
Rob Shot (Cambs) wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:57 pm
Duffnut wrote:

Rob did confirm it as soon as the information was posted which was obviously the soonest he knew so perhaps little unfair DonnyDarko to say that he and BBC Surrey didn't let us know, they just didn't let us know ahead of the BBC Website
I suppose it all depends when BBC Leeds made the decision.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:19 pm

The problem is Donny that whilst I have to say all my dealings with BBC Surrey in the past were simple and sensible the BBC at national level is not primarily known for its joined up thinking. Even if BBC Leeds knew much earlier that they were going to cover the game the chances are that no one there or at BBC Sports would think to let BBC Surrey know. The first BBC Surrey probably knew was when it went onto the website and attention was drawn to it.

DonnyDarko2012

Post by DonnyDarko2012 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:19 pm
The problem is Donny that whilst I have to say all my dealings with BBC Surrey in the past were simple and sensible the BBC at national level is not primarily known for its joined up thinking. Even if BBC Leeds knew much earlier that they were going to cover the game the chances are that no one there or at BBC Sports would think to let BBC Surrey know. The first BBC Surrey probably knew was when it went onto the website and attention was drawn to it.
But surely if BBC Surrey knew at least a week in advance that they weren't going to be broadcasting the game (Rob mentioned it in commentary), then it would have been common sense to ask BBC Leeds if they were going to broadcast the game?