Matchday survey results

Richard Petty
Matchday survey results

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Something positive for us to chat about for a change, the club has published a full report on the club survey which makes very interesting reading

https://www.theshots.co.uk/matchday-exp ... y-results/

Just click where it says link to go to the full results

I was particularly interested in the distances people travel as the majority of those who did the survey were as expected within 0 to 5 miles from the stadium but the next biggest group and almost as many are travelling 20 or more miles. For me that shows the club needs to be focusing heavily on towns between those two extremes in particular I would suggest towns between 5 miles and 10 miles from the stadium.

Quietobserver
Re: Matchday survey results

Post by Quietobserver » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm

I had a read through that earlier. There was both some positives and negatives.

Getting the negatives out of the way first, the ageing fan base is definitely a serious concern. If you don't replace the fans that either have passed away, or just can't get to games anymore due to a combination of age and ill health, then it's pretty obvious that in eventually that's not going to end well.

Also the biggest criticism seemed to be the toilet facilities, but as mentioned in the survey, without additional investment, not a whole lot can be done about them at present.

Onto the positives, overall based off of the survey, it seemed like the majority were happy with how their match day experience was and the day to day running of the club.

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:30 pm

It is very worrying that there are more people over 66 than in the two under 36 age groups.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Yes Quietobserver and Lazio your both right the age groups did not make good reading from the perspective of future support

team from clanmell

Post by team from clanmell » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:44 pm

Richard
Fantastic survey, maybe investment needs to be found to the toilets as ladies do have regular trips to the loo. A family day if they are not adequate maybe a total waste of time. (Women do wear the trousers......).
The rest is what we know, that is the comment that shocked me from the club about the loos, its like two fingers up to you as weve had your money.
Now board of directors you spent money on this survey please for the sake of your club act on it.
Ps are the loos alright that the new CEO uses.?

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:35 am

On the chart "National League Ticket Prices," a legend is need to clarify what is "Series 1" and "Series 2."

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:43 am

Agreed that the most worrying statistic here is the very small number of under 18 fans.

Let me offer a theory here, and I'm sure I'll get shot down in flames, but:

Youngsters like action! When I was young our generation had a far different attention span when we went to the pictures. A film could contain 80 - 90 per cent pure dialogue but would hold our attention with a subtle story-line.

However , on the football field at the time we were enthralled by watching a game with five forwards and plenty of attacking action.

Contrast that to today's younger generation. Their movies must be fast, furious and full of action, and yet we expect them to sit through 90 minutes of tippy-tappy across the back four with one man up front.

ians

Post by ians » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 am

I think you do have to consider the fact that younger people are less likely to fill out the survey. the survey does not actually tell you the average age of our supporters it tells you the average age of supporters that responded.

FATBOY

Post by FATBOY » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:54 am

I think there may be a benefit to going to the town centre on a Saturday around lunchtime and asking a few young people "do you watch Aldershot? And if not, why not? What could make you attend?"

Ticket offers to schools
Player visits to schools
Training session/PE Lesson ran by the players/gaffer

At midday, stand outside McDonalds in Aldershot with 250 community stand tickets and just give them away. We simply HAVE to get young people involved in this club, and drastic measures are required when there are more OAPs than under 18s coming through the gate. We have to show young people that football is not a reality TV programme.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 pm

FATBOY wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:54 am
I think there may be a benefit to going to the town centre on a Saturday around lunchtime and asking a few young people "do you watch Aldershot? And if not, why not? What could make you attend?"
Certainly agree with this.

It's all well and good asking your current supporters what they like/dislike, but that is not what entices more support.

I was also actually staggered by how positive the results of the survey were in a lot of areas.

What needs to be done is more work around the local community to find out why people don't attend.

I understand Rushmoor has a population of over 93,000 residents. Why are our attendances only 1500 (discounting away fans)?

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Jason wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 pm

I was also actually staggered by how positive the results of the survey were in a lot of areas.

Well Jason it wasn't just the Shotsweb doom mongers who responded

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Ancient Shot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 pm
Jason wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Well Jason it wasn't just the Shotsweb doom mongers who responded
:lol:

No, but I'm still surprised it was as positive as it was. Plenty of room for improvement, in my opinion.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 pm

FATBOY wrote:

At midday, stand outside McDonalds in Aldershot with 250 community stand tickets and just give them away. We simply HAVE to get young people involved in this club, and drastic measures are required when there are more OAPs than under 18s coming through the gate. We have to show young people that football is not a reality TV programme.
Great idea. Perhaps head to Westgate when a big film is released and catch a crowd filtering out (Mary Poppins is probably the next big family one?)

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:24 pm

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 pm
FATBOY wrote:

Great idea. Perhaps head to Westgate when a big film is released and catch a crowd filtering out (Mary Poppins is probably the next big family one?)
What a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious idea :D

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:24 pm
redblueuptoyou wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 pm
FATBOY wrote:

What a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious idea :D
'Gawd bloimey, Mary Poppinsh'. 'Step-in-time step-in-time'.