Golden Ticket

shotshammo
Re: Golden Ticket

Post by shotshammo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:23 am

There is nothing odd about the order of he draw, one of the things that drew me to purchasing a ticket, I'm not a regular gambler, but a mathematician, was the good odds for winning a sizeable amount of money. The manner of the draw guarantees three winners which protects and improves the odds.
I have to confess the success of the Golden ticket has reduced the odds, from when I thought 400 tickets would be a good result.
Well done Mark for introducing another good money making scheme for the club.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:46 am

Would any of you genuinely not have purchased a ticket if you’d have known the order that the draw was being made?
It makes no difference to me and, I feel, adds to the tension/excitement of the draw.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:50 am

Something else to moan about so I'm all for it

steveshot

Post by steveshot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:24 am

The order don’t make a blind bit if difference to me

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:01 pm

Sorry but apart from finding it amazing that anyone could care less about the sequence the tickets are drawn out in I would have said that 3rd, 2nd then 1st is without doubt the normal way that any draw is done. I cant ever recall being at a draw or competition where the winner is announced prior to the secondary prizes.

Results are always read out or announced in ascending order building up the excitement to get to the winner and first prize.

Seriously think about it when was the last time you ever heard a winner being announced and congratulated with all the celebration and fanfare that goes with winning followed by the relatively damp squib of the 2nd and 3rd prizes, it just doesn't happen that way.

You build up to a winner, always have done and always will do

James Frazer

Post by James Frazer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:00 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:01 pm
Sorry but apart from finding it amazing that anyone could care less about the sequence the tickets are drawn out in I would have said that 3rd, 2nd then 1st is without doubt the normal way that any draw is done. I cant ever recall being at a draw or competition where the winner is announced prior to the secondary prizes.

Results are always read out or announced in ascending order building up the excitement to get to the winner and first prize.

Seriously think about it when was the last time you ever heard a winner being announced and congratulated with all the celebration and fanfare that goes with winning followed by the relatively damp squib of the 2nd and 3rd prizes, it just doesn't happen that way.

If you want excitement, how about drawing out every single ticket until you get to last ticket in the pot which will win the top prize. Start at 3pm and aim to finish around 4.55pm - it will take our minds away from the (lack of) action on the pitch.

WozzaSHOT

Post by WozzaSHOT » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:01 pm

Actually I disagree 100% with you. I purchased a ticket with a chance to win a top prize. If my ticket is removed from the draw before the top prize is awarded then I’ve been miss sold a ticket - as I have zero chance to win said prize.. Not sure which laws govern this kind of draw but if it’s classed as gambling then the club maybe breaking the law..

ACA

Post by ACA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:11 pm

So if your ticket is drawn first and you win the third prize, you expect your winning ticket to be put back into the draw and, thus, have a chance of potentially winning all three prizes with one ticket? How on earth does that make any sense?!

WozzaSHOT

Post by WozzaSHOT » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:15 pm

ACA wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:11 pm
So if your ticket is drawn first and you win the third prize, you expect your winning ticket to be put back into the draw and, thus, have a chance of potentially winning all three prizes with one ticket? How on earth does that make any sense?!
It’s doesnt which is why you draw 1st, 2nd then 3rd in any normal universe.. but someone clearly thought it would be more exciting to do the reverse and so break the law (as far as I can establish)

ACA

Post by ACA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:28 pm

I eagerly await your explanation as to how it "breaks the law" - specifically, the law which mandates that order in which prizes MUST be awarded.

WozzaSHOT

Post by WozzaSHOT » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:38 pm

ACA wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:28 pm
I eagerly await your explanation as to how it "breaks the law" - specifically, the law which mandates that order in which prizes MUST be awarded.
Mmm where shall I start.. let’s go with misrepresentation. I’m sold a ticket with a chance to win a 1st prize of £xx. If you remove my ticket because I win a prize of £1 then you have misrepresented my chance of winning a top prize.

I have of course not elected to use the rule of common sense here as this is Aldershot!

ACA

Post by ACA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:51 pm

Okay, except the third prize is not £1. You're still looking at a prize of over £1,000 for a purchase price of £100 (which is a lot of money in anyone's book). You have not been invited to spend £100 on a ticket, only to be told that you will win far less than what you paid. To claim that the order of the draw amounts to "misrepresentation" because you might not win the top prize is incredibly unlikely to constitute breaking the law. As far as I am aware, there is no law which governs the order in which lottery/raffle prizes must be drawn - unless you can show me differently, beyond citing vague concepts, I think we have established that the order in which the tickets are drawn does not "break the law".

WozzaSHOT

Post by WozzaSHOT » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:57 pm

ACA wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:51 pm
Okay, except the third prize is not £1. You're still looking at a prize of over £1,000 for a purchase price of £100 (which is a lot of money in anyone's book). You have not been invited to spend £100 on a ticket, only to be told that you will win far less than what you paid. To claim that the order of the draw amounts to "misrepresentation" because you might not win the top prize is incredibly unlikely to constitute breaking the law. As far as I am aware, there is no law which governs the order in which lottery/raffle prizes must be drawn - unless you can show me differently, beyond citing vague concepts, I think we have established that the order in which the tickets are drawn does not "break the law".
Ok ACA I’ll get the clarity you are asking for. I’ll confirm with the club the preferd draw order and then refer this to Rushmore BC (The regulating authority) They can decide and I’ll post the results here. Then we’ll know one way or the other.

ACA

Post by ACA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Best of luck to you.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Wozza, I think I can see how your minds working on this but I have just bored myself silly by reading god knows how many pages of the Gambling commissions rules on Raffles Lotteries and draws and cant find anything that says you have to draw the prizes in any order only that all entries must be entered into one draw and cannot be drawn separately based on how they were purchased.

Also when googling this I found this interesting mathematical conclusion that shows that the odds are not actually altered mathematically.