Best ever Shots Goal

PAUL BLUNDELL
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by PAUL BLUNDELL » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:33 pm

Surely, any goal at the present moment would be the best.

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Aldershot 1 v 0 Reading - FA Cup 1967

The 1966/7 season was like so many others from my teenage years……excellent home form countered by some pretty dismal returns when ‘on the road’ (the final League Division 4 position – tenth).

Jack Howarth had joined the Shots at the beginning of the previous season, scoring his first goal in only his second outing - the first of 171 League and 25 Cup goals.

After disposing of Torquay United, in the first round of the FA Cup, Aldershot were paired with arch rivals Reading in round two. The game was set for Saturday January 7th, but as the insert to the match day programme confirms, the game was eventually played out on Monday 16th.

‘Thank you for purchasing this programme. As you will observe, it was prepared for the original fixture but cancelled because of the unfit state of the ground.’

And only two days before the ‘big’ encounter, Aldershot flattened Newport County 5v0 in a League game at the Rec. The Shots were undoubtedly in form, but at the end of the game the pitch was left looking like the Severn Estuary at low tide.

My memories of the FA Cup game are incredibly vivid.

Even within the relative sanctuary of the North Stand the pressure from the crowd was intense. My body trembled with excitement as ‘Happy Jack’ – The Who, was played with such volume that it shook the fixing bolts free from every loudspeaker around the ground.

The floodlights did their best to cut through the gloom that engulfed the Rec and then… the thunderous cries from the enormous crowd greeted both teams as they ran out onto the pitch leaving the relative quiet of the South Stand changing rooms far behind…

The game, played with such intense rivalry, was decided by the greatest goal that I have ever experienced in all of my years watching Aldershot.

A goal, that like a fine wine improves with age – the clearest of images in my mind have been enhanced over the years by something more powerful than the modern day computer programme…a lifelong unforgettable emotion.

And when I need to convince others that Jack scored with a thunderbolt and not through a ‘signature header’, I turn to a very tired newspaper cutting – and the status of the goal can never be challenged.

Steve Curry wrote in the Daily Express the following day:

"Howarth was swept off the field at the finish by frenzied fans who had swung from the grandstand roof and climbed floodlight pylons to view this thriller……….

Ernie Yard mis-hit a pass and Peter Kearns whipped in to snap it up and send Howarth away.

Big, bustling Howarth smoothed in on goal and even the defiance of brave goalkeeper Arthur Wilkie could not keep this one out………………."

A Shot from Wales (number 1 in my top 50 memories from nearly 60 years of following the Shots)

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:24 pm

... is the correct answer

Never forget that night

http://www.shots2692.co.uk/60s2/667_readingfac.jpg

WTF

Post by WTF » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Alderman 3 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 am
Old School for me.

1 Richard Waldren freekick V Man Utd

2. Viktor Yanushevsky freekick V Peterborough (if memory is correct)

3 Dale Banton V Wolves (Playoffs).
Richards strike was definately top draw but I can recall another one of his strikes that was even better but my memory is so bad now lol, Murray Brodie against Plymouth was another stinger that got the crowd shouting!

Happy Days!

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:22 pm

WTF wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm
Alderman 3 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 am
Old School for me.

1 Richard Waldren freekick V Man Utd

2. Viktor Yanushevsky freekick V Peterborough (if memory is correct)

3 Dale Banton V Wolves (Playoffs).
Richards strike was definately top draw but I can recall another one of his strikes that was even better but my memory is so bad now lol, Murray Brodie against Plymouth was another stinger that got the crowd shouting!

Happy Days!
Richard Walden’s goal wasn’t from a free kick but from open play. This from Jack Rollin’s ‘History of Aldershot Football Club’ :- “Melia’s diagonal pass to Walden started it. The full-back beat his opposite number Tony Dunne before crashing in a low right foot angled shot.” That is pretty much how I remember it.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:56 pm
brian bloomfield wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am

That was a home game but the leafe I’m sure had a grass bank, I recall a 6-0 win there in about 96 in a non promotion year!
Whyteleafe definately had a grass bank that was replaced with some nice terracing the last time we played them. Also had nice chips and curry sauce.
Which was the club that had a grass bank with the football being played one side and then if you turned round there was a cricket match being played the other side, can anyone remember that ? Aylesbury is sort of ringing a bell but I may be wrong
There was a large grass bank along the whole length of the pitch at Epsom and Ewell I seem to remember.

sgibbs

Post by sgibbs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:17 pm

chimpster99 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 pm
86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm
Darren Adams overhead kick v Whyteleafe from a Jason Chewins cross. Won 5-2 and Neil Webb made his debut. I think it was 1995.
Was that the away game with the big grass bank behind the goal??? Madder than cheese rolling!!
Yep. Not sure if it was the same game but Darren Brodrick scored a great half-volley on the turn into the top corner and a few of us tumbled down the bank in celebration.

Tony Joyce's goal against Northampton, our last ever goal as AFC, was a bit of a cracker, too, if I remember rightly. Similar to John Nutter's one mentioned earlier.

Best probably has to be Rhys Browne's at Gateshead - for about a fortnight afterwards, everybody was sharing the video on Facebook saying 'have you seen this non-league team that play like Barcelona?'

80fc

Post by 80fc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:28 pm
Lazio wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 pm
Morrissey v Palace in front 13997.
My first ever Shots game.
Really don’t remember the goal but remember we won 1-0 and Peter Taylor playing for Palace and everyone wearing the same coloured scarves
My last games at the time for over a year. I had an operation the next day which took me a year to recover from. Palace I think had been unbeaten that season until the game before meeting the shots. Again I think it was Tony Godfrey in goal for the first time in ages and thinking we were going to get hammered but Godfrey played a blinder and Pats goal early in the game an absolute blinder. Brilliant on the east bank full of red and blue. Duffle coats and cigars on the away bench

stevieshot

Post by stevieshot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Seen so many bullet headers from Big Jack.
It won't be popular, but I loved Will Evans long distance effort at The Rec last season, can't remember who against.

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm

[quote=stevieshot post_id=583022 time=1552685342 user_id=3010]
Seen so many bullet headers from Big Jack.
It won't be popular, but I loved Will Evans long distance effort at The Rec last season, can't remember who against.
[/quote]

Winner against Tranny, probably the best moment in the last couple of years.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Remember a few mentioned on here!

For me there was Lee Endersby’s dance through the defence I’m front of the East Bank (can’t recall the opposition) and then there was Steve Stairs 35 x yard screamer v Clapton.

This was made better by Steve’s call seconds earlier that “we were second to everything” which he then proved we weren’t!

Seem to recall a flash of lighting dash across the sky that night too as a thunderstorm developed!