Best ever Shots Goal

DH
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:18 pm
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by DH » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:36 am

Murray Brodie against Plymouth Argyle under the lights, in front of the East Bank back in the 70's. We were 3-1 down at the time and went on to win 4-3.

John Harley took a corner which he swung out to the edge of the box and in the words of the Farnham Herald report at the time, "the crowd were already groaning as the ball was aimed way from goal but the blonde wingman had spotted Brodie lurking on the edge of the area. The Scot slid horizontally to meet the ball at shoulder height and the back of the net was billowing before the startled Jim Furnell could move."

Why can I remember that report almost word for word when I can't remember what I had for tea last night??

DonnyDarko2012
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:09 pm
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by DonnyDarko2012 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:11 am

chimpster99 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 pm
86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm
Darren Adams overhead kick v Whyteleafe from a Jason Chewins cross. Won 5-2 and Neil Webb made his debut. I think it was 1995.
Was that the away game with the big grass bank behind the goal??? Madder than cheese rolling!!
I also remember grass banks at Lewes and Evesham.

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Disturbed Postie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am

chimpster99 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 pm
86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm
Darren Adams overhead kick v Whyteleafe from a Jason Chewins cross. Won 5-2 and Neil Webb made his debut. I think it was 1995.
Was that the away game with the big grass bank behind the goal??? Madder than cheese rolling!!
That was a home game but the leafe I’m sure had a grass bank, I recall a 6-0 win there in about 96 in a non promotion year!

Alderman 3
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:40 pm
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Alderman 3 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 am

Old School for me.

1 Richard Waldren freekick V Man Utd

2. Viktor Yanushevsky freekick V Peterborough (if memory is correct)


3 Dale Banton V Wolves (Playoffs).

brian bloomfield
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:00 am
Location: Barcelona
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by brian bloomfield » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am
chimpster99 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 pm
86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm
Darren Adams overhead kick v Whyteleafe from a Jason Chewins cross. Won 5-2 and Neil Webb made his debut. I think it was 1995.
Was that the away game with the big grass bank behind the goal??? Madder than cheese rolling!!
That was a home game but the leafe I’m sure had a grass bank, I recall a 6-0 win there in about 96 in a non promotion year!
Whyteleafe definately had a grass bank that was replaced with some nice terracing the last time we played them. Also had nice chips and curry sauce.

Norwich Nick
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Wymondham, Norfolk
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Norwich Nick » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:42 am

Perhaps not the best, but certainly one of the most significant...... Scott Davies away at Torquay in 2008.

Can still feel the roar from that terrace. Extraordinary night.

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Disturbed Postie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:51 am

Alderman 3 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 am
Old School for me.

1 Richard Waldren freekick V Man Utd

2. Viktor Yanushevsky freekick V Peterborough (if memory is correct)


3 Dale Banton V Wolves (Playoffs).
Playoffs was in between banton’s 2 spells with us, think he left about October/ November 84 and rejoined in 89 or 90?

Giles
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: Farncombe
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Giles » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 pm

chimpster99 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:11 pm
Steve Berry’s winner v Sunderland ‘88, I was in the front row of the North Stand level with him, and will never forget it. Maybe not the most spectacular goal ever but a great strike with over 5000 in the ground at a time when we were doing ok in what is now League One!!!!

https://youtu.be/rJ96n-zEoGk
weirdly I was about to vote a Steve Berry goal too but vs Northampton, screamer but unsure of year? def between 87-90

Richard Petty
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:56 pm

brian bloomfield wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am
chimpster99 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 pm


Was that the away game with the big grass bank behind the goal??? Madder than cheese rolling!!
That was a home game but the leafe I’m sure had a grass bank, I recall a 6-0 win there in about 96 in a non promotion year!
Whyteleafe definately had a grass bank that was replaced with some nice terracing the last time we played them. Also had nice chips and curry sauce.
Which was the club that had a grass bank with the football being played one side and then if you turned round there was a cricket match being played the other side, can anyone remember that ? Aylesbury is sort of ringing a bell but I may be wrong

Birdman
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Birdman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Alderman 3 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 am
Old School for me.

1 Richard Waldren freekick V Man Utd

2. Viktor Yanushevsky freekick V Peterborough (if memory is correct)


3 Dale Banton V Wolves (Playoffs).
Wasn’t RW’s goal a low shot from the edge of the penalty area after he had run with the ball for about 20 yards before hitting it?

Ian Rust
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:23 pm
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Ian Rust » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Darren Adams overhead kick was at the High St End.
Wonderful technique for a very special goal .

Lazio
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Lazio » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Morrissey v Palace in front 13997.

redandbluescb
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 9:29 pm
Location: BROADSTAIRS
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by redandbluescb » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Big Jack a header from 20 yards in the top corner I cant remember who it was against.

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Anon E Mouse » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Lazio wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 pm
Morrissey v Palace in front 13997.
My first ever Shots game.
Really don’t remember the goal but remember we won 1-0 and Peter Taylor playing for Palace and everyone wearing the same coloured scarves

Statto
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: Best ever Shots Goal

Post by Statto » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:29 pm

86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm
Darren Adams overhead kick v Whyteleafe from a Jason Chewins cross. Won 5-2 and Neil Webb made his debut. I think it was 1995.
That was the 1996-97 season. I remember Darren also scoring a belter against Merstham in the FA Cup that season (IIRC, that was also an overhead kick).


Post Reply