Time to be reflective

brian bloomfield
Time to be reflective

Post by brian bloomfield » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Well there it is, relegation as expected from Xmas onwards and we start next season on the 3rd August in the National League South.
No matter how much it hurts, how angry we are, we still have a club to support and as I’ve said before no matter how unhappy we are with things surrounding the club, it’s maybe never been stronger financially to weather any impending storm.
This season will I believe see a loss of at least 400k (Torquay suffered a staggering 990k loss last season whilst suffering the same fateful relegation). The key thing and difference here though, is the debt being transferred to shares and this in my opinion although not the way to run the club, at least makes the cash deficit manageable in the short term if a zero balanced budget can be set for next season.
People want answers and there are many that could be forthcoming, but I don’t believe anyone can lay the blame squarely at one persons feet. Collectively we take the plaudits and so it must be said collectively we must take the criticism when things go wrong.
Things generally don’t go wrong in businesses overnight it’s a gradual decline and I think that’s what has happened at our club. Some small, some big decisions that in hindsight if the board could look back, they would take a different path, but none of us have a crystal ball, we make our bed and we must lie in it.
A lot has been said about the club needing to own its own ground, this isn’t true. The 119-year lease is more than enough to seek investment partners to develop the ground. Whether staying at the EBB is the right thing to do is another matter entirely.
Emotions are running high, don’t knock people who have a different view, engage and discuss or ignore. Tommy Anderson is very passionate like us all, don’t knock passion but please challenge those that don’t care. I can only imagine the scale of delivery from a young Graham Brookland with the benefit of the internet, yet he turned out very well didn’t he. People grow with age and like our club we must accept the need to have tolerance.
When I look around on a match day the old chestnut that we have an aging fanbase doesn’t ring true. Yes, we are all getting older, but the young supporter is there in abundance and the free admission for under 11’s should see this trend continue.
As we head for the National South people are saying we are now at our natural level. Our level is where we want to be, no one thought we were punching above our weight in the 2nd division when we were getting 3,500-4000 crowds and a £3,000,000 turnover. We are only limited by our own ability.
The problem for our club has never been the lack support base or the budget, it has always been decisions that have been taken that has hit the profit and loss account and the cash flow. In other words, it’s about the money that has been squandered that has put our club in its current position, but as I said previously a crystal ball is never readily available. Supporters do want success but more importantly they want communication, sustainability and leadership and these 3 things do not cost anything apart from applied management, honesty and integrity.
Stick with the club, support in any way you can, we’re not a bad bunch and the good times will return as they always do.

ACA
Re: Time to be reflective

Post by ACA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:23 pm

I think that's a very fair and balanced view, Brian. Well put.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 pm

brian bloomfield wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm
Well there it is, relegation as expected from Xmas onwards and we start next season on the 3rd August in the National League South.
No matter how much it hurts, how angry we are, we still have a club to support and as I’ve said before no matter how unhappy we are with things surrounding the club, it’s maybe never been stronger financially to weather any impending storm.
This season will I believe see a loss of at least 400k (Torquay suffered a staggering 990k loss last season whilst suffering the same fateful relegation). The key thing and difference here though, is the debt being transferred to shares and this in my opinion although not the way to run the club, at least makes the cash deficit manageable in the short term if a zero balanced budget can be set for next season.
People want answers and there are many that could be forthcoming, but I don’t believe anyone can lay the blame squarely at one persons feet. Collectively we take the plaudits and so it must be said collectively we must take the criticism when things go wrong.
Things generally don’t go wrong in businesses overnight it’s a gradual decline and I think that’s what has happened at our club. Some small, some big decisions that in hindsight if the board could look back, they would take a different path, but none of us have a crystal ball, we make our bed and we must lie in it.
A lot has been said about the club needing to own its own ground, this isn’t true. The 119-year lease is more than enough to seek investment partners to develop the ground. Whether staying at the EBB is the right thing to do is another matter entirely.
Emotions are running high, don’t knock people who have a different view, engage and discuss or ignore. Tommy Anderson is very passionate like us all, don’t knock passion but please challenge those that don’t care. I can only imagine the scale of delivery from a young Graham Brookland with the benefit of the internet, yet he turned out very well didn’t he. People grow with age and like our club we must accept the need to have tolerance.
When I look around on a match day the old chestnut that we have an aging fanbase doesn’t ring true. Yes, we are all getting older, but the young supporter is there in abundance and the free admission for under 11’s should see this trend continue.
As we head for the National South people are saying we are now at our natural level. Our level is where we want to be, no one thought we were punching above our weight in the 2nd division when we were getting 3,500-4000 crowds and a £3,000,000 turnover. We are only limited by our own ability.
The problem for our club has never been the lack support base or the budget, it has always been decisions that have been taken that has hit the profit and loss account and the cash flow. In other words, it’s about the money that has been squandered that has put our club in its current position, but as I said previously a crystal ball is never readily available. Supporters do want success but more importantly they want communication, sustainability and leadership and these 3 things do not cost anything apart from applied management, honesty and integrity.
Stick with the club, support in any way you can, we’re not a bad bunch and the good times will return as they always do.
Superb post Brian! Oh how you should be on the board!

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 am

Agree on some nicely worded views there, but football is changing and how things are deemed as successful on or off the pitch is becoming more and more pressurised.

Without doubt now, if you get team matters wrong on the pitch, being successful financially gets harder and harder across all levels of the business. Us "old g*ts" might understand you cannot win all of the time and actual "winners" are a very small percentage but the younger fan demands much more these days. Failure in terms of the likes of relegation impacts even harder.

Yes, it is a time to reflect, but time is precious, sometimes being bold and decisive in your actions gains more. So in essence I do not believe we have weeks upon weeks to reflect, s**t has happened now, time to wipe our b*ms and get on with it.

But that is my opinion.

As for BOD and recent twitters etc, petulant I believe and yet again causes more damage which was totally uncalled for and I suspect not fully the whole truth in the greater picture.

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:03 am

An excellent post Brian, this time next season we will be singing We Are The Champions as it’s blazed out of the tannoy at The Rec.
If It’s Good Enough For Torquay It’s Good Enough For The Shots”

BillB

Post by BillB » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:44 am

There's a difference between what the reader wants to believe and what is real life. A very good post Jimbo.

redandbluescb

Post by redandbluescb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 am

As I said around xmas time we don't have any debt as in bills to be paid. Our debt is owned
by shareholders who wont get their money back unless a sugar daddy with big pockets arrives.
As Brian says we all need to stick together next season and replicate what Torquay have achieved.

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:25 am

There was only one mistake made last season in my opinion, leaving the employment of our squad to the last minute. Then being forced to gamble on senior, very young and injury prone players that other teams did not want. This in turn leaving us with an unfit, uncoached, and unresearched squad of players re suitability to play, one together and two the style our managing staff wanted.
Let's not make the same mistake next season,
Who ever is Manager next season and I hope Waddock gets a chance to address this hopeless situation he was put in, the same mistake isn't made next season.

WTF

Post by WTF » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 am

brian bloomfield wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm
Spot on Brian! Just wish other people would listen......

mountpleasant61

Post by mountpleasant61 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 am

A great post from Brian and a very sensible post from shotshammo.
I to, hope GW gets the chance to prove he is the good manager we know him to be.
As for the BOD, if we are stuck with them then hopefully they will learn something from their past mistakes.
One way or another they have wasted money which we all can see.
If it was their own money then tough luck it was their own fault, unfortunately I believe it to be other peoples money which won't bother them too much.
No matter what happens or what we say, we still have our beloved football team no matter where they play and that is the main thing.

Shepperton Shot

Post by Shepperton Shot » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 am

I have always believed that if a manager takes a club down, he should be given the opportunity to get the club back up. Gary is a good manager, with one bad season with us. No one has any patience these days, and demand immediate success, but 99% of managers are failures, based on trophies won or promotions gained. I think a number of circumstances have conspired against us this season and think that Gary will get us up again, given a fair wind.

westy

Post by westy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Great post Brian. Yes I also think G W should be given the chance to get us back up next year. Whether you like him or not, he is probably the best manager we as a ciub can get for the money we can afford to pay. Someone who seem to love the club. Yes he's had a disastrous season but didn't hear many moans and groans over the previous two seasons when we were going well and in the play offs. He suddenly hasn't become a bad manager, and has been said before we still have a club to follow and support. C O Y S

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm

I'm sure Gary will take a holiday and use it as his own time to be reflective. I'm hoping he'll come back with a refreshed mind and, above all, some positive ideas as to how to improve the performances next season. We as fans have had a torrid time, but now I'd urge all of you to think what this man must have felt as many have campaigned for his head. I believe that when things don't go well it can be difficult to turn it around and the crowd on his back can't have helped. I've personally not petitioned for the man to lose his job, he has a family to support and who knows what other pressures upon him. I feel for him over the way some on here have hounded him.

You're not a quitter Gary, I believe you can get us back on track.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Portly Stilton Shot wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm
I'm sure Gary will take a holiday and use it as his own time to be reflective. I'm hoping he'll come back with a refreshed mind and, above all, some positive ideas as to how to improve the performances next season. We as fans have had a torrid time, but now I'd urge all of you to think what this man must have felt as many have campaigned for his head. I believe that when things don't go well it can be difficult to turn it around and the crowd on his back can't have helped. I've personally not petitioned for the man to lose his job, he has a family to support and who knows what other pressures upon him. I feel for him over the way some on here have hounded him.

You're not a quitter Gary, I believe you can get us back on track.
Spot on PSS.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 pm

This is a really good thread where the posters are offering a sensible balanced view without bias either way.

Brians original post is something I feel very comfortable with and had my head nodding in agreement with much of it and certainly the message that he was trying to put across.

I also very strongly agree with the subsequent post by Shotshammo, particularly the bit about late signings. We tried the "Drip down effect" under Terry Browns reign and that didn't go to well either, we were very lucky that time, not so this time.

The other thing that we have to accept is that regardless of other areas of responsibility we cannot underestimate the effect that the injury crisis had on us. I am not suggesting for one minute that we would have had a good season without the injuries as we just weren't good enough and to try and deny that would be daft but without so many injuries I do believe it wouldnt have been the disaster that it became. We would have been low in the table but not relegated.

I have said it on here before and I will say it again assuming he wants to stay I feel the same as some others on here that I would like to see Gary given the chance to turn things round. There may need to be some contractual changes and perhaps a review date to ensure we are moving in the right direction but for me he has earned the right from the previous two seasons to be given a second chance.

Less than 48 hours after our fate was confirmed most of us will be suffering from either sadness, anger, apathy, despair, confusion and in fact probably a combination of all or most of those emotions. Feeling like that makes true reflection quite difficult as any reflection and consideration of the future will be influenced by the strongest of the emotions affecting us.

We need the season over and only then will we really be able to calmly think about the future and come to terms with what has happened and prepare ourselves and dare I say it begin to look forward again.