Gateshead

Dr Jim Royle
Re: Gateshead

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Tue May 14, 2019 4:15 am

Are we not arguing the toss and assuming far too much here?

1. In truth would we really reject any reprieve?
2. It is not only Gateshead that continue to have major off field issues, despite Ebbsfleet denials they to are on a rocky road.
3. If we are playing the waiting game with Manager deadline employment as the trigger, are we not going to employ a Manager capable of managing teams at both levels?

Be at least another three weeks before the fog clears chaps, meantime chill out

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Tue May 14, 2019 4:24 am

I might be unpopular for saying this but I think a reprieve will do more harm than good, at the moment we need to rebuild from a position that is realistic and we are only going to have another season of struggle if we are in the NL. It would be fairer if someone drops out of the NL that an extra team from NLS or NLN is promoted.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Tue May 14, 2019 5:33 am

I might be unpopular for saying this but I think a reprieve will do more harm than good, at the moment we need to rebuild from a position that is realistic and we are only going to have another season of struggle if we are in the NL. It would be fairer if someone drops out of the NL that an extra team from NLS or NLN is promoted.
I've mixed feelings with this, I can this side of the argument but I think I lean towards, you should always play at the highest level opportunity gives you.

Plus, play at a lower level and results continue to be negative I believe will see us spin quicker into oblivion.

Accurate Shot

Post by Accurate Shot » Tue May 14, 2019 8:54 am

Lazio wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:24 am
I agree . I don't see why a team that finishes in a relegation spot is more deserving than a team that finishes 2nd or 3rd in the leagues below but if Aldershot get a reprieve I won't complain.

I don't see relegation to the NLS as a slip into oblivion. The quality in that league is really really poor. The current squad would have finished in the top 7 without a doubt. Woking looked poor the few times I saw them but still got promoted. The NLN looks a much tougher proposition to get out of.

callumatfc

Post by callumatfc » Tue May 14, 2019 12:37 pm

Accurate Shot wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:54 am
Lazio wrote:
I agree . I don't see why a team that finishes in a relegation spot is more deserving than a team that finishes 2nd or 3rd in the leagues below but if Aldershot get a reprieve I won't complain.

I don't see relegation to the NLS as a slip into oblivion. The quality in that league is really really poor. The current squad would have finished in the top 7 without a doubt. Woking looked poor the few times I saw them but still got promoted. The NLN looks a much tougher proposition to get out of.
Because ultimately, IMO, if Gateshead and Ebbsfleet had built a team within the structure they were able to afford (whether through cashflow or structured debt) then the chances are they would not have finished where they did in the table. Their seasons were not built upon any form of financial strength and so why should a club be able to do that, when it invalidates the competitive nature of the league. Aldershot were hopeless this season and deserved to finish where they did. But if Gateshead and/or Ebbsfleet finished where they did based upon money they did not have and they are then punished for it because of it then the team's in the relegation spot should get the reprieve. The logic being that if the unsustainable clubs had played within their budgets they would have finished, potentially, lower down than they did.

I take no pleasure in seeing the Gateshead fans having to deal with what they are having to deal with. But that is a separate matter to the club's alleged irregularities and the impact that has on competition.

Norwich Nick

Post by Norwich Nick » Tue May 14, 2019 1:43 pm

callumatfc wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:37 pm
Because ultimately, IMO, if Gateshead and Ebbsfleet had built a team within the structure they were able to afford (whether through cashflow or structured debt) then the chances are they would not have finished where they did in the table. Their seasons were not built upon any form of financial strength and so why should a club be able to do that, when it invalidates the competitive nature of the league. Aldershot were hopeless this season and deserved to finish where they did. But if Gateshead and/or Ebbsfleet finished where they did based upon money they did not have and they are then punished for it because of it then the team's in the relegation spot should get the reprieve. The logic being that if the unsustainable clubs had played within their budgets they would have finished, potentially, lower down than they did.

I take no pleasure in seeing the Gateshead fans having to deal with what they are having to deal with. But that is a separate matter to the club's alleged irregularities and the impact that has on competition.
100% agree

In terms of the accumulated profit and loss account 'league table' for the National League, these are the three worst positions:

Leyton Orient £9.1m
Ebbsfleet £8.0m (this was from 2017's accounts as they haven't yet published 2018's)
Gateshead £5.9m

(As a point of interest, Eastleigh are just behind Gateshead)

None of this is an issue while directors (or others) can fund the deficit with capital or loans, the moment that changes it can all come crashing down like a house of cards which appears to be the position with both Ebbsfleet and Gateshead. Disappointing for their fans, but they have enjoyed punching above their weight as those figures perhaps illustrate.

scorp

Post by scorp » Tue May 14, 2019 2:22 pm

What are the odds on Ebbsfleet or Gateshead crashing and burning out of the NL in the coming weeks? And which first...

Thanks for the stats, Norwich Nick.

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Tue May 14, 2019 3:47 pm

I’ll take a reprieve all day long, Notts County away is like having a lovely Sunday roast and more, Hampton or concord would be like dinner being a plate of cabbage!

scorp

Post by scorp » Tue May 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:47 pm
I’ll take a reprieve all day long, Notts County away is like having a lovely Sunday roast and more, Hampton or concord would be like dinner being a plate of cabbage!
Me too. Haven't seen Stockport since or before May 1992, when they lost to Peterborough Utd at Wembley. Stockport were in psychedelic stripey shirts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBrlz8LNGmY

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Tue May 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Lazio wrote:
I tend to agree as we finished a huge points tally away from safety and it's hard to see what exactly will be changing. The old moral question of should any team finishing in a relegated position evade the consequences was answered "No" by the FL who changed the P/O format after Charlton (in particular) and a few others managed to stay up via the old P/O system; I would imagine the scenario of the highest placed "relegated" side surviving should someone go bust was voted for by member clubs ; turkey's don't vote for Christmas !!

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Tue May 14, 2019 4:07 pm

scorp wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:54 pm
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:47 pm
Me too. Haven't seen Stockport since or before May 1992, when they lost to Peterborough Utd at Wembley. Stockport were in psychedelic stripey shirts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBrlz8LNGmY
We’ve played Stockport for one season though since we reformed, 2010-11 season I believe, 2-2 away after being 2 up then a 1-0 home win, a rare Spencer (I think) goal, header!

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Dont remember the name Spencer as a player...

Coys

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Wed May 15, 2019 4:55 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:44 pm
Dont remember the name Spencer as a player...

Coys
Damian Spencer

ExileJohn

Post by ExileJohn » Wed May 15, 2019 6:14 pm

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed May 15, 2019 6:37 pm

ExileJohn wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:14 pm
The straw clutching is over.
https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/mo ... -1-9770473
I wouldn’t say ‘over’. Less likely perhaps, but this is going to run and run.