Fans Forum next Thursday, 9th May

Marcus ex W.Midlands Shot
Re: Fans Forum next Thursday, 9th May

Post by Marcus ex W.Midlands Shot » Fri May 10, 2019 12:25 pm

TopShot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:37 am
The CEO was a bit strange, we needed one, then we didn't need one, now Shahid is spending 60% of his time at the club.
Shahid stated that he has employed someone at a cost of £100k in his own business to do what he used to do himself, enabling him to spend more time at ATFC.

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Fri May 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Ancient Shot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:22 pm
Are you expecting a call then Brian?
Steve, I think after reading your post again I may of taken it out of context :o
No not expecting a call, but still no reply to my letter post AGM now 9 weeks.
Hopefully what investment irons they have in the fire, will transform the club and not just shore it up.
Looking forward to the new season.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Fri May 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Investment irons very much depend on the confirmation of the long lease

That could be the best bit of business done here for a very long time

TopShot

Post by TopShot » Fri May 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Marcus ex W.Midlands Shot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:25 pm
TopShot wrote:
The CEO was a bit strange, we needed one, then we didn't need one, now Shahid is spending 60% of his time at the club.
Shahid stated that he has employed someone at a cost of £100k in his own business to do what he used to do himself, enabling him to spend more time at ATFC.
Yes i heard that, however, not needing a CEO and then spending 60% of your time at the club at the expense of £100k a year at your own business means that we did need someone.

In theory it saves a salary within the club so was probably more financial than anything else?

WTF

Post by WTF » Fri May 10, 2019 1:11 pm

TopShot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:04 pm
Fri May 10, 2019 12:25 pm
TopShot wrote:
Yes i heard that, however, not needing a CEO and then spending 60% of your time at the club at the expense of £100k a year at your own business means that we did need someone.

In theory it saves a salary within the club so was probably more financial than anything else?
Was the person employed the right person? I dont know.

To me, in any business the person you employ must have experience, certainly at that level, of the profession you are in?

Marcus ex W.Midlands Shot

Post by Marcus ex W.Midlands Shot » Fri May 10, 2019 1:14 pm

I personally have major reservations about the job title of CEO at a small football club like ours. It seems to attract people who want that title on their CV, and are primarily ambitious for themselves.

Peter Duffy - super smoothie, you were never sure whose side he was on.
Richard Low - set up a youth set up that was 'portable' and then carried it away to Crawley
Andrew Mills - persuaded the previous chairman to appoint Andy Scott without disclosing that he was his agent.
Laura Smith - not as bad as the above, but she's gone now so we can say that her programme notes used to read like they were written by a failed candidate on the Apprentice.

General manager - fine. CEO - I get worried.

WTF

Post by WTF » Fri May 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Fri May 10, 2019 1:14 pm
I personally have major reservations about the job title of CEO at a small football club like ours. It seems to attract people who want that title on their CV, and are primarily ambitious for themselves.

Peter Duffy - super smoothie, you were never sure whose side he was on.
Richard Low - set up a youth set up that was 'portable' and then carried it away to Crawley
Andrew Mills - persuaded the previous chairman to appoint Andy Scott without disclosing that he was his agent.
Laura Smith - not as bad as the above, but she's gone now so we can say that her programme notes used to read like they were written by a failed candidate on the Apprentice.

General manager - fine. CEO - I get worried.
Agree with that Marcus, I just do not understand why she was appointed

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Discussed, answered, lesson learnt

Move on

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Fri May 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:47 am
It sounds to me that the meeting was pretty open & honest. Birdy - You asked for some written requests, I'd asked if the interviewing had actually commenced or were they still waiting for all CV's? Was it asked?

I think given the advice all us lot give on here there would have been plenty of written in requests?

Also, given the well structured and written posts the likes of Abee & Brian Bloomfield have scribed, can I ask if they asked any questions to the BOD, and if so, any responces?

Thanks to all on here and Facebook so far for the feedback on meeting, much appreciated.
Dr Royle, I don’t recall asking for written requests (hopefully my memory isn’t going the same way as my hair). Assuming that you’re referring to my comment on p2, this is what I said :-
To those going tonight, please help things along by bringing some written questions that you’d like to ask.
I’ve been to a handful of these and my experience is that it’s generally the same people asking the questions and as a result a question that you may want to ask gets forgotten.”

Apologies if you’re referring to something else.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Fri May 10, 2019 2:12 pm

Fri May 10, 2019 9:59 am
One further on Gary Waddock while I remember:

The discussion at the end of the season was not just about the 2019-20 budget, but his own contract. The board proposed to continue his one year rolling contract, but to serve notice on it immediately. Therefore the issue of 1 year's compensation for Gary if sacked would not arise, as his contract would be expiring at the end of the notice period i.e. the end of the 2019-20 season.

My own feeling is that this was a fair offer in the circumstances and I would not have wanted the board to make a more generous proposal.
And from TopShot on p2 (glad you made it by the way) :-

From what i could understand GW's contract was termed that if relegated could be amended. Offered a good NLS package but GW wasn't happy with it, (I apologise if i got this wrong) i believe he was offered the same as this year for the season with a view to change end of next season but I assume the club could let him go at any time throughout the season.”

Would it be fair to say from your comments above, Marcus and TopShot, that GW wasn’t sacked but that it was a genuine ‘by mutual agreement’ deal/situation?

TopShot

Post by TopShot » Fri May 10, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks Birdman, managed to change a few things to get there and i'm glad i did.

Shahid said he thought GW was the right person and believed he could turn things around towards the end of last year and was not a financial decision not to let him go at the time.

Offered a lesser contract (as expected) going into NLS but still a decent salary at that level, the other option as Marcus said before was to terminate the rolling contract now, keeping GW at the club for next season on same money but would give a few problems.

If we were doing awfully we could (i believe) just pay up a lesser amount if we wanted to get rid of GW halfway through the season.

If we were doing well GW could be poached by another club without compensation should he chose to leave.

This option is not good for either parties so believe both agreed mutually it was best choice and start a fresh.

I assume a payment was agreed but nothing was mentioned about this.

Shahid said that GW had also never had any footballing complaints (regarding the problems behind the scenes comments in the aldershot news) and was happy to take the reigns himself when JR left. Assistance was offered in some form by the board but not taken up by GW

Only complains that were mentioned were regarding training facilities as using the army stadium could be cancelled at short notice if the army wanted to use it.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Ancient Shot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Move on
So that is your opinion?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri May 10, 2019 2:51 pm

Birdman wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:02 pm
Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:47 am
It sounds to me that the meeting was pretty open & honest. Birdy - You asked for some written requests, I'd asked if the interviewing had actually commenced or were they still waiting for all CV's? Was it asked?

I think given the advice all us lot give on here there would have been plenty of written in requests?

Also, given the well structured and written posts the likes of Abee & Brian Bloomfield have scribed, can I ask if they asked any questions to the BOD, and if so, any responces?

Thanks to all on here and Facebook so far for the feedback on meeting, much appreciated.
Dr Royle, I don’t recall asking for written requests (hopefully my memory isn’t going the same way as my hair). Assuming that you’re referring to my comment on p2, this is what I said :-
To those going tonight, please help things along by bringing some written questions that you’d like to ask.
I’ve been to a handful of these and my experience is that it’s generally the same people asking the questions and as a result a question that you may want to ask gets forgotten.”

Apologies if you’re referring to something else.
I agree - I hadn't seen any request from you for non-attendees to supply written questions in advance.

Only the request that you quoted here, for attendees to write down their questions in advance in case they forget the questions in the heat of the moment (and maybe start rambling?).

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Fri May 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Sorry Birdy, thought you was seeking questions via here, plus thought it was you asking same thing on Facebook, my humbliest of grovelling.
On the other hand, you might just have been lazy and forgot, in which case a bottle of American Fizz stuff at the bar next time will be acceptable :)

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:49 pm
Ancient Shot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Move on
So that is your opinion?
That's a statement

If it was an opinion it would have been a bit longer