Fans Forum next Thursday, 9th May

Birdman
Re: Fans Forum next Thursday, 9th May

Post by Birdman » Fri May 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:06 pm
Sorry Birdy, thought you was seeking questions via here, plus thought it was you asking same thing on Facebook, my humbliest of grovelling.
On the other hand, you might just have been lazy and forgot, in which case a bottle of American Fizz stuff at the bar next time will be acceptable :)
FACEBOOK?! How very dare you! LAZY?! Once again, how very dare you! Forgot? Yeah, feasible, but ..., no.
American Fizz stuff? Michelob when I holidayed in Florida but now, no more fizz stuff, Yank, European or British. Don’t want to end up looking like —-> 🤪 On holiday though I’ll be brave and make the occasional sacrifice. Sort of guy that I am. 👍

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Ancient Shot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:49 pm
Ancient Shot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm
Discussed, answered, lesson learnt

Move on
So that is your opinion?
That's a statement

If it was an opinion it would have been a bit longer

OK now?
Oh Dear and that is a statement too!

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:02 pm

TopShot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:04 pm
Marcus ex W.Midlands Shot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:25 pm
TopShot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:37 am
The CEO was a bit strange, we needed one, then we didn't need one, now Shahid is spending 60% of his time at the club.
Shahid stated that he has employed someone at a cost of £100k in his own business to do what he used to do himself, enabling him to spend more time at ATFC.
Yes i heard that, however, not needing a CEO and then spending 60% of your time at the club at the expense of £100k a year at your own business means that we did need someone.

In theory it saves a salary within the club so was probably more financial than anything else?
So the question now for me is, if he is spending 60% of his time there, what has he achieved or is achieving?

Norwich Nick

Post by Norwich Nick » Fri May 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:02 pm
TopShot wrote:
Marcus ex W.Midlands Shot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Shahid stated that he has employed someone at a cost of £100k in his own business to do what he used to do himself, enabling him to spend more time at ATFC.
Yes i heard that, however, not needing a CEO and then spending 60% of your time at the club at the expense of £100k a year at your own business means that we did need someone.

In theory it saves a salary within the club so was probably more financial than anything else?
So the question now for me is, if he is spending 60% of his time there, what has he achieved or is achieving?
Addional cost of £100k pa in his business by the sounds of things!

Would you prefer we employed a CEO again?

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Norwich Nick wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:10 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
TopShot wrote:

I'm concerned about OUR club on and off the park, not his business

Norwich Nick

Post by Norwich Nick » Fri May 10, 2019 7:20 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:12 pm
Norwich Nick wrote:
Shots1954 wrote:

So what do you suggest?

It appears he's a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.....employ a CEO and lots of people say that is an expense the club can ill afford and it should be directed towards the playing budget. Alternatively, run without a CEO, helping the club make ends meet, spending much more of your own time at the club resulting in your business incurring significant additional cost (and presumably impacting on profits). I'd say that was a pretty big commitment and not one that many would make.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do not for one moment believe that he gets everything right and there is much I would like him to do to improve matters. However, I can't imagine it is great for him to be on the receiving end of constant criticism whichever way he turns / whatever he does.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Norwich Nick wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:20 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
Norwich Nick wrote:

So what do you suggest?

It appears he's a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.....employ a CEO and lots of people say that is an expense the club can ill afford and it should be directed towards the playing budget. Alternatively, run without a CEO, helping the club make ends meet, spending much more of your own time at the club resulting in your business incurring significant additional cost (and presumably impacting on profits). I'd say that was a pretty big commitment and not one that many would make.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do not for one moment believe that he gets everything right and there is much I would like him to do to improve matters. However, I can't imagine it is great for him to be on the receiving end of constant criticism whichever way he turns / whatever he does.
Nick, I understand where you are coming from. My issue is we are losing money readily and have got relegated when this should not be happening.

That's what I worry about and where the club is heading. He is the Chairman and has the ultimate responsibility so the buck stops with him.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 pm

Norwich Nick wrote:
Shots1954 wrote:
Norwich Nick wrote:

So what do you suggest?

I would also add that there were postings on Shotweb over the last few months showing we had people at the club who would have assisted FOC but that was spurned. So what does that say to you?

Control perhaps?

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Fri May 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:24 pm
Norwich Nick wrote:
Shots1954 wrote:

So what do you suggest?

Nick, I understand where you are coming from. My issue is we are losing money readily and have got relegated when this should not be happening.

That's what I worry about and where the club is heading. He is the Chairman and has the ultimate responsibility so the buck stops with him.
As Chairman he is the figurehead. The BOD’s hold more shares than he as an individual does and as such they have a collective and ultimate responsibility. They can outvote him on decisions if they consider it necessary.

ACA

Post by ACA » Fri May 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Of course, Shots1954, you could have asked all these questions to the man himself. You could have demanded answers, or challenged any answer you did not agree with.

But you couldn't be bothered to go.

Norwich Nick

Post by Norwich Nick » Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 pm
I would also add that there were postings on Shotweb over the last few months showing we had people at the club who would have assisted FOC but that was spurned. So what does that say to you?

Control perhaps?
Yes, I've read those too and I'm sure (as I've already said) that there might have been things he could have done better. However, just because it's posted on here doesn't make it any more gospel than anything else.

The Chairman does not have a majority of the shares, so he doesn't have control. Indeed, the issue that one poster (abee) has highlighted is a lack of executive decision making with too many people involved. From that, it could be inferred that actually what we need is a slimmed down Board with fewer people involved in an executive capacity to enable clearer accountability / faster decisions...... but that might need someone to emerge who is prepared to dig deeper than any of the current Board (and the last time we had a majority shareholder as Chairman that didn't work out especially well).

The alternative to all of that is a different ownership model, and much as that may be attractive at face value, there has never appeared to be sufficient appetite amongst us as supporters to actually make that happen (unfortunately).

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm

ACA wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Of course, Shots1954, you could have asked all these questions to the man himself. You could have demanded answers, or challenged any answer you did not agree with.

My 92 year old father has a tumour in his brain, head and mouth.

Is that a good enough reason why I couldn't go ACA?

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Fri May 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Norwich Nick wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 pm

Control perhaps?
Yes, I've read those too and I'm sure (as I've already said) that there might have been things he could have done better. However, just because it's posted on here doesn't make it any more gospel than anything else.

The Chairman does not have a majority of the shares, so he doesn't have control. Indeed, the issue that one poster (abee) has highlighted is a lack of executive decision making with too many people involved. From that, it could be inferred that actually what we need is a slimmed down Board with fewer people involved in an executive capacity to enable clearer accountability / faster decisions...... but that might need someone to emerge who is prepared to dig deeper than any of the current Board (and the last time we had a majority shareholder as Chairman that didn't work out especially well).

The alternative to all of that is a different ownership model, and much as that may be attractive at face value, there has never appeared to be sufficient appetite amongst us as supporters to actually make that happen (unfortunately).
History has a way of reinventing itself. When I offered whilst a director to be a non salaried CEO, it was in order to sell the club to potential sponsors and investors, and drive the ground redevelopment to a conclusion, whilst overseeing the day to day running of the club with the board. Being first and foremost a supporter I saw this as a 60 hour plus job and not some kind of titled escapade.
My offer was discussed and minuted in various board meeting, internal club emails, telephone calls and texts all veryfiable with a start date. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the offer over the line. It was a shame because the ensuing appointment I believe cost the club 300k in costs and lost sponsorship.
The club has a hard task ahead, very few clubs bounce back once relegated to regional football, Aldershot at least has a fan base and good sponsors, to make our time in the National South not too long. Hopefully we can do a Torquay and bounce right back

WozzaSHOT

Post by WozzaSHOT » Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:24 pm
Norwich Nick wrote:
Shots1954 wrote:

So what do you suggest?

Simply for accuracy it’s a bit of a simplification to say we are losing money. We are only a going concern because the directors continue to fund the club through the purchase of shares. As Brian B has said (I believe) we are now running out of shares to issue so will need to find a new model.

The point being, again made many times, is that the operating loss is being funded by shareholders not banks/loans/debt etc and so does not in itself mean the club is going “pop” anytime soon.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm
ACA wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:47 pm

My 92 year old father has a tumour in his brain, head and mouth.

Is that a good enough reason why I couldn't go ACA?
Sorry to hear 1954.
Some things much more important.

To be fair (and i’m Not a fan) ACA wouldn’t have known that. He always likes a dig though.