Fans Forum next Thursday, 9th May

Birdman
Re: Fans Forum next Thursday, 9th May

Post by Birdman » Fri May 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm
ACA wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Of course, Shots1954, you could have asked all these questions to the man himself. You could have demanded answers, or challenged any answer you did not agree with.

But you couldn't be bothered to go.
My 92 year old father has a tumour in his brain, head and mouth.

Is that a good enough reason why I couldn't go ACA?
With full respect to your father and your feelings for him ‘54 that isn’t what you said on p2.

WTF said :-
”Well we were relegated and our Manager then left "by mutual consent" and we have been told we lost circa 300k? or am i wrong?

You replied :-
That's precisely why I'm not bothering tonight. When the new manager is in situ then it's time for The Board to have a fans forum with their and the new incumbent to tell us all!”

As such, ACA wouldn’t have had any knowledge of your family situation.

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 pm

WozzaSHOT wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:24 pm
Norwich Nick wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:20 pm

So what do you suggest?

It appears he's a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.....employ a CEO and lots of people say that is an expense the club can ill afford and it should be directed towards the playing budget. Alternatively, run without a CEO, helping the club make ends meet, spending much more of your own time at the club resulting in your business incurring significant additional cost (and presumably impacting on profits). I'd say that was a pretty big commitment and not one that many would make.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do not for one moment believe that he gets everything right and there is much I would like him to do to improve matters. However, I can't imagine it is great for him to be on the receiving end of constant criticism whichever way he turns / whatever he does.
Nick, I understand where you are coming from. My issue is we are losing money readily and have got relegated when this should not be happening.

That's what I worry about and where the club is heading. He is the Chairman and has the ultimate responsibility so the buck stops with him.
Simply for accuracy it’s a bit of a simplification to say we are losing money. We are only a going concern because the directors continue to fund the club through the purchase of shares. As Brian B has said (I believe) we are now running out of shares to issue so will need to find a new model.

The point being, again made many times, is that the operating loss is being funded by shareholders not banks/loans/debt etc and so does not in itself mean the club is going “pop” anytime soon.
Before February’s AGM I checked the Articles of Association and found there was no limitation clauses. The Chairman said at the AGM that the shares were virtually maxed out so I wrote to the club seeking clarification. After no response in 6 weeks I phoned the Company Secretary who confirmed my assumption that there was to limit to the issuing of shares.
So gentleman if you’re allowed, fill your boots. :D

Ecuador17

Post by Ecuador17 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:37 pm

brian bloomfield wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 pm
WozzaSHOT wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Nick, I understand where you are coming from. My issue is we are losing money readily and have got relegated when this should not be happening.

That's what I worry about and where the club is heading. He is the Chairman and has the ultimate responsibility so the buck stops with him.
Simply for accuracy it’s a bit of a simplification to say we are losing money. We are only a going concern because the directors continue to fund the club through the purchase of shares. As Brian B has said (I believe) we are now running out of shares to issue so will need to find a new model.

The point being, again made many times, is that the operating loss is being funded by shareholders not banks/loans/debt etc and so does not in itself mean the club is going “pop” anytime soon.
Before February’s AGM I checked the Articles of Association and found there was no limitation clauses. The Chairman said at the AGM that the shares were virtually maxed out so I wrote to the club seeking clarification. After no response in 6 weeks I phoned the Company Secretary who confirmed my assumption that there was to limit to the issuing of shares.
' was no limit to the issuing of shares '.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:38 pm

Birdman wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:34 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm
ACA wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Of course, Shots1954, you could have asked all these questions to the man himself. You could have demanded answers, or challenged any answer you did not agree with.

But you couldn't be bothered to go.
My 92 year old father has a tumour in his brain, head and mouth.

Is that a good enough reason why I couldn't go ACA?
With full respect to your father and your feelings for him ‘54 that isn’t what you said on p2.

WTF said :-
”Well we were relegated and our Manager then left "by mutual consent" and we have been told we lost circa 300k? or am i wrong?

You replied :-
That's precisely why I'm not bothering tonight. When the new manager is in situ then it's time for The Board to have a fans forum with their and the new incumbent to tell us all!”

As such, ACA wouldn’t have had any knowledge of your family situation.
Because I didn't want to have to say what I have had to say in reply to ACA.

But carry on and stick the knife in. It makes me feel so much better.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:45 pm

brian bloomfield wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:21 pm
Norwich Nick wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 pm
I would also add that there were postings on Shotweb over the last few months showing we had people at the club who would have assisted FOC but that was spurned. So what does that say to you?

Control perhaps?
Yes, I've read those too and I'm sure (as I've already said) that there might have been things he could have done better. However, just because it's posted on here doesn't make it any more gospel than anything else.

The Chairman does not have a majority of the shares, so he doesn't have control. Indeed, the issue that one poster (abee) has highlighted is a lack of executive decision making with too many people involved. From that, it could be inferred that actually what we need is a slimmed down Board with fewer people involved in an executive capacity to enable clearer accountability / faster decisions...... but that might need someone to emerge who is prepared to dig deeper than any of the current Board (and the last time we had a majority shareholder as Chairman that didn't work out especially well).

The alternative to all of that is a different ownership model, and much as that may be attractive at face value, there has never appeared to be sufficient appetite amongst us as supporters to actually make that happen (unfortunately).
History has a way of reinventing itself. When I offered whilst a director to be a non salaried CEO, it was in order to sell the club to potential sponsors and investors, and drive the ground redevelopment to a conclusion, whilst overseeing the day to day running of the club with the board. Being first and foremost a supporter I saw this as a 60 hour plus job and not some kind of titled escapade.
My offer was discussed and minuted in various board meeting, internal club emails, telephone calls and texts all veryfiable with a start date. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the offer over the line. It was a shame because the ensuing appointment I believe cost the club 300k in costs and lost sponsorship.
The club has a hard task ahead, very few clubs bounce back once relegated to regional football, Aldershot at least has a fan base and good sponsors, to make our time in the National South not too long. Hopefully we can do a Torquay and bounce right back
Thank you Brian, I feel you would have been so good for OUR club as you are a supporter.

ACA

Post by ACA » Sat May 11, 2019 12:05 am

Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:38 pm

You have my sympathies. However, my observation was simply based on your own stated reason for not going (as identified by others) - nothing more, nothing less.

Statto

Post by Statto » Sat May 11, 2019 12:12 am

brian bloomfield wrote:
So Brian, are you saying that Shahid:

* Make an inaccurate statement due to not knowing the "rules" of the Articles of Association? If that was the case, should he have known the rules?

or

* Knowingly make an untruthful statement?

Also (not withstanding the fact that you wrote to the Club after the AGM), if what Shahid said at the AGM was not correct/truthful, did anybody challenge him at the AGM?

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Sat May 11, 2019 1:10 am

Ancient Shot wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:58 am
Thanks Marcus - was quoting someone who was there
Rather than relying on other people. Why didn't you go?

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Sat May 11, 2019 7:53 am

lanternhall wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:10 am
Ancient Shot wrote:
Probably, because like me Ancient doesn’t live in Windmill Road.

And I have to say, I felt somewhat insulted by the caption to the photo on the ‘official website’ - Proper supporters who deserve more next season.

Proper....perhaps I should seek a subsidy from the Chairman to pay for my car running costs covering the c14,000 miles that I drive each and every season. Being proper is a very expensive business! In fact ridiculously expensive when one drives a.....

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Sat May 11, 2019 9:27 am

lanternhall wrote:
Ancient Shot wrote:
Not that it's any of your business, I live over 100 miles away from Aldershot.

You?

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Sat May 11, 2019 9:31 am

Statto wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:12 am
brian bloomfield wrote:

* Make an inaccurate statement due to not knowing the "rules" of the Articles of Association? If that was the case, should he have known the rules?

or

Also (not withstanding the fact that you wrote to the Club after the AGM), if what Shahid said at the AGM was not correct/truthful, did anybody challenge him at the AGM?
Pete, I think the Chairman made a statement on the facts as he thought they were on the night. The previous club company pre administration had a share capitalisation at £1,000,000 and I think this has been confused with the new club incarnation. At the AGM having asked a lot of questions I thought it was prudent not to push the matter of the current share capital as it would of caused embarrassment to the board on the night. Also there was the thought in my mind that maybe the board were in the process of putting a cap on the share capital in the A&A’s through a board agreement.
The fact that there is no share capital cap means the club can sell as many as they want. Of course this also means that anyone wanting to take over the club by say wanting to buy new equity shares that gave them more than 51% of shares can still be vetoed by the board of directors.
Hopefully with the new manager, ground possibilities and a more structured budget as opposed to the last 2 seasons, we can all look forward to a new and exiting period in the history of our great club

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Sat May 11, 2019 9:37 am

A Shot from Wales wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:53 am
lanternhall wrote:
Ancient Shot wrote:
Probably, because like me Ancient doesn’t live in Windmill Road.

And I have to say, I felt somewhat insulted by the caption to the photo on the ‘official website’ - Proper supporters who deserve more next season.

Proper....perhaps I should seek a subsidy from the Chairman to pay for my car running costs covering the c14,000 miles that I drive each and every season. Being proper is a very expensive business! In fact ridiculously expensive when one drives a.....
I know how you feel Harold. I only got to 19 home and away games last year, living in Barcelona is no excuse,I must try harder. :D

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:00 am

ACA wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:05 am
Shots1954 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:38 pm

You have my sympathies. However, my observation was simply based on your own stated reason for not going (as identified by others) - nothing more, nothing less.
Thanks. It is a very difficult time.
Anyway we move on etc.

GWRBA

Post by GWRBA » Sat May 11, 2019 12:42 pm

A Shot from Wales wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:53 am
Was it saying 'these are our only proper supporters, everybody else deserves nothing'?

No. Just that those who were able to turn up are proper supporters. It's a bit of a hollow PR sentiment, 'you deserve better', but it wasn't insulting

Statto

Post by Statto » Sat May 11, 2019 1:25 pm

brian bloomfield wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:31 am
Statto wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:12 am
brian bloomfield wrote:

or

Pete, I think the Chairman made a statement on the facts as he thought they were on the night. The previous club company pre administration had a share capitalisation at £1,000,000 and I think this has been confused with the new club incarnation. At the AGM having asked a lot of questions I thought it was prudent not to push the matter of the current share capital as it would of caused embarrassment to the board on the night. Also there was the thought in my mind that maybe the board were in the process of putting a cap on the share capital in the A&A’s through a board agreement.
The fact that there is no share capital cap means the club can sell as many as they want. Of course this also means that anyone wanting to take over the club by say wanting to buy new equity shares that gave them more than 51% of shares can still be vetoed by the board of directors.
Hopefully with the new manager, ground possibilities and a more structured budget as opposed to the last 2 seasons, we can all look forward to a new and exiting period in the history of our great club
Thanks for explaining that, although I feel that as the head of the organisation (unless I'm wrong about that status?), Shahid should have known the "rules" regarding such an important matter. Also, embarassing the Board should not have been a reason not to "push the matter" - the rights of the shareholders to know the facts should have over-ridden any embarassment that the Board would have been subjected to.

Again, thanks for the info.
Last edited by Statto on Sat May 11, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.