Shahid’s dilemma...

karlready
Shahid’s dilemma...

Post by karlready » Wed May 08, 2019 9:45 am

Featuring in the “paper” News and Mail today. Azeem expects Aldershot to stay with the same full-time training model next season, but admits he would be open to a part/full hybrid. Predicts a “competitive” budget ,close to 2018/19. Keeping an eye on the Gateshead situation (aren’t we all...)

Dom Sterlings Left Leg
Re: Shahid’s dilemma...

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Wed May 08, 2019 10:07 am

'Expects', 'open to', 'keeping an eye on'...

So basically we are hoping to get out of our deserved relegation via another clubs misfortune.

If that does happen, presumably the board will think everything will be rosey as we didnt actually go down and we can just pretend last season never happened.

Presume we will get a few 'sunstainable' sound bites coming soon.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 am

DSLL - The great presumer

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Wed May 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Ancient shot or should that be 'sanctimonious' shot?

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Wed May 08, 2019 12:17 pm

Expects', 'open to', 'keeping an eye on'...

So basically we are hoping to get out of our deserved relegation via another clubs misfortune.

If that does happen, presumably the board will think everything will be rosey as we didnt actually go down and we can just pretend last season never happened.

Presume we will get a few 'sunstainable' sound bites coming soon.

Errrrrrr, Dom, like it or not we are ALL awaiting Gateshead news, even Ebbsfleet still in the balance. Misfortune? Actually yes from a fans persective, no from a business one.

If they do get relegated or thrown out then we may well not go down. Last season being Rosy? Come on fella, not even one BOD member has said that or even thought it.

If you're gonna hang someone out to dry, try making it a bit less obvious you just don't like him.

As for sound bites, love to hear we've already interviewed some applicants, Fans Forum, over to you gang !!!

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Wed May 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Im not hanging anyone out to dry and have no personal issue with the chairman or any other member of the board, why would i. The chairman seems like a nice man.

My issue is the board have shown their incompetence and i as a life long fan that will be here with many others long after they are no longer involved want a club to support in future and i long for someone to run the club that can maximise its potential not run it from one crisis to the next.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Wed May 08, 2019 12:42 pm

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:29 pm
Im not hanging anyone out to dry and have no personal issue with the chairman or any other member of the board, why would i. The chairman seems like a nice man.

My issue is the board have shown their incompetence and i as a life long fan that will be here with many others long after they are no longer involved want a club to support in future and i long for someone to run the club that can maximise its potential not run it from one crisis to the next.
Using the part of your comment that I’ve highlighted, DSLL, do you and others want the club run within income, without any additional funding from directors/3rd parties other than in donation form? I know that I do. If so, are fellow supporters prepared to accept that The Conference or Conference South may well be where we can afford to be? I know that some will say that we need to be ambitious but surely that has to be affordable ambition, not ‘taking a gamble’ ambition. As was said at the last Fans Forum by both Lewis Scard (director) and Mr Azeem, the current model just isn’t sustainable.
We really do not have a divine right to be a FL club.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 pm

That's a very good point Birdman.

If we are indeed in NLS next season than I think that the club should be able to afford a mid table budget for that level whilst still being able to balance the books. If however we were by some miracle (Gateshead going) to remain in the National League then in my opinion I suspect the club would face a dilemma as the Board would have to decide to either go with a bottom of NL Budget (similar to what would be our NLS budget) or gamble on finding additional investment and run with a budget similar to this seasons. The risk is accruing further losses if that investment cannot be found during the season.

If we were still in the National League then I think on the basis that another season like this one could further reduce our remaining supporter base then a gamble with another decent budget like this years would probably be the only realistic course of action, though it does carry risk.

Ian M

Post by Ian M » Wed May 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Some of this is daft...

..of course we deserve relegation.... league table says so. If we get a reprieve, so be it. I can see any "pretending" it didn't happen.

Chairman has to plan both as it currently stands. and even if we don't manage an FGR, we need to be competitive next season if funds allow. Hybrid is an funny model. but no point currently excluding a player who would strengthen the group, just because he has another career! (remember Dom Sterling in that category)

Not a dilemma, just a function of the external variables...

But, all of this can be avoided if any of you have a few million under the floorboards and feel generous.. :D

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Wed May 08, 2019 2:49 pm

Birdman wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:42 pm

Using the part of your comment that I’ve highlighted, DSLL, do you and others want the club run within income, without any additional funding from directors/3rd parties other than in donation form? I know that I do. If so, are fellow supporters prepared to accept that The Conference or Conference South may well be where we can afford to be? I know that some will say that we need to be ambitious but surely that has to be affordable ambition, not ‘taking a gamble’ ambition. As was said at the last Fans Forum by both Lewis Scard (director) and Mr Azeem, the current model just isn’t sustainable.
We really do not have a divine right to be a FL club.
This is a very good question and clearly a difficult one.

My personal view is that i am relaxed either way to a point. Obviously i want the club to be sustainable in an ideal world and still believe its possible for us to be a national league side and be sustainable albeit i believe that would need radically different thinking, but i accept that to COMPETE where we all believe the club should be (minimum national league level) we need investment.

Im happy to accept someone coming in with money if the club moves forward.

One of the sucesses of the current chairman is to bring in significant investment and i am thankful for that. Sadly this investment is not taking the club forward its just plugging gaps in its finances... You cant run the club like some kind of ponzi scheme.

So weve actually had reasonable investment (plus yet again from the fans) but the club has gone backwards..

karlready

Post by karlready » Wed May 08, 2019 3:11 pm

[quote="Richard Petty" post_id=587925 time=1557317405 user_id

If we are indeed in NLS next season than I think that the club should be able to afford a mid table budget for that level whilst still being able to balance the books. If however we were by some miracle (Gateshead going) to remain in the National League then in my opinion I suspect the club would face a dilemma as the Board would have to decide to either go with a bottom of NL Budget (similar to what would be our NLS budget) or gamble on finding additional investment and run with a budget similar to this seasons. The risk is accruing further losses if that investment cannot be found during the season.

Oh dear, as my old dad would have said “S**t or bust”. Still, I suppose as a club ,we are used to both options...

Wokingham Shot

Post by Wokingham Shot » Wed May 08, 2019 5:21 pm

It wasn't so long ago we were being told going to 52 week contracts was 'worth the gamble'.
I am sure we are all undefeated with hindsight.

I do wonder if there are still fans out there who think ATFC can compete in League ..... remember that discussion well.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:21 pm

I'm with you on this Dom!

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Wed May 08, 2019 6:53 pm

I for one think fans can get too hung up on finances and investments, big clubs can go pop (Bolton on the verge) as well as smaller ones (Macclesfield back in trouble again). True, if your a BIG BIG Club like Man City, United, Liverpool etc then to stay at the top you need to buy the best as in their case success must be instant so money indeed talks.

But get the right manager, right blend of players and right back up to sustain that over longer periods then you really don't need all the money in the world, just a slice of real good luck and a strong wind.

We just have not got that balance yet, and yes it is so frustrating.

Our next Manager choice will be more so vital, simply once in a down spiral moving back upwards is so much harder.

98% of us supporters praised Shahid for getting Gary back, seemingly now 75% now thought terrible decision ........... that's how fickle we can be, so that turns to Shahid getting it wrong ....... the bloke is in a no win situation, yet so many fans refuse to at least acknowledge this ... much easier to single someone out and target an individual. Lonely at the top isn't it?

But the pack still hunts in numbers !!
On the other hand, get next choice right please Shahid and ASAP please ..... I need rid of this fickle itch I'm getting :lol:

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Wed May 08, 2019 7:21 pm

I dont think i have read anyone say they feel it was a terrible decision to bring waddock back. It was a rare masterstroke, just what the club needed at the time and almost worked perfectly (lets face it we were a striker away from promotion.)