Shahid’s dilemma...

abee
Re: Shahid’s dilemma...

Post by abee » Wed May 08, 2019 7:39 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:53 pm
1) I for one think fans can get too hung up on finances................

2) .........98% of us supporters praised Shahid for getting Gary back, seemingly now 75% now thought terrible decision ...........

3) But the pack still hunts in numbers !!
1) I happen to believe that fans don't get hung up enough on the finances and if they did then perhaps we wouldn't be reading about Bolton, Macclesfield and Notts Cty to name just three of the clubs currently in the frame for poor ownership.

2) You''ll have to reference where anyone has posted that bringing GW back in 2016 was a terrible decision. My reading of Shotsweb is that the almost 100% view was that the decision to bring Gary back was excellent and that the current criticisms of the BoD have been that they should have reviewed GW's position at the turn of the year and taken action. I suspect that the rumoured fragile state of the finances played the lions part in any decision to let Gary stay on for the rest of the season and that the BoD hoped against hope that he could turn things around.That's the one I would have gone with personally and if the BoD had brought in a new manager without improving the situation we'd now be reading that.......... 'Gary would have got it right if only they'd stuck with him'.

3) I don't follow this......packs have always hunted in numbers which is why they're called 'packs'.

Further argument about Shahid is pointless.......there are those on here who believe that he has God on his speed dial and others who think that he should be ATFC President with a brief to establish and foster relationships with sponsors and investors but have no executive role at the club.

You will not be surprised that I'm in the second camp.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 pm

1) I happen to believe that fans don't get hung up enough on the finances and if they did then perhaps we wouldn't be reading about Bolton, Macclesfield and Notts Cty to name just three of the clubs currently in the frame for poor ownership.

2) You''ll have to reference where anyone has posted that bringing GW back in 2016 was a terrible decision. My reading of Shotsweb is that the almost 100% view was that the decision to bring Gary back was excellent and that the current criticisms of the BoD have been that they should have reviewed GW's position at the turn of the year and taken action. I suspect that the rumoured fragile state of the finances played the lions part in any decision to let Gary stay on for the rest of the season and that the BoD hoped against hope that he could turn things around.That's the one I would have gone with personally and if the BoD had brought in a new manager without improving the situation we'd now be reading that.......... 'Gary would have got it right if only they'd stuck with him'.

3) I don't follow this......packs have always hunted in numbers which is why they're called 'packs'.

Further argument about Shahid is pointless.......there are those on here who believe that he has God on his speed dial and others who think that he should be ATFC President with a brief to establish and foster relationships with sponsors and investors but have no executive role at the club.

Not looking for a scrap here fella ... honest .... You can count the fingers on one hand of League Clubs that are actually profitable and completely debt free. Using the same hand the same amount of fans will say their BOD are Gods, most will say they don't spend enough, do enough or care enough. It's the law of football. I hope you take this the right way but look at you, undoubted you did great work at Brentford but did it win you Chairmanship, the Keys to the City? However that hard work paid off, look at them now, great new ground and big money investment ... I hope the same can be achieved at Aldershot. Personally, like to see you again assisting us but guessing more chance of me winning Mark Butlers Golden Ticket next season :wink:

Gary was supported fully by Shahid, maybe too much so and better a professional distance kept, either way he was never going to win as results determine Managers lives not contracts.

Finally, yes I do stick up for Shahid quite a bit, but he'd be quick enough to tell you that when I have conversations with him I'm not short of being critical. However, I just wish fans would realise there is no lengthy waiting list of people with much more money or business sense ready to kick him out to touch. Plenty of folk who think they can do better but neither have the funds or business credential to do so.

Think next Fans Forum I'm gonna offer to Compare the evening, ensure fans engage in debate and bring up tinternet stuff ..... I'll get the crowd going and even do The Ratings after ....... That or take over Question Time 8)

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:31 pm

abee wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:39 pm
Dr Jim Royle wrote:
1) I for one think fans can get too hung up on finances................

2) .........98% of us supporters praised Shahid for getting Gary back, seemingly now 75% now thought terrible decision ...........

3) But the pack still hunts in numbers !!

You talk a lot of sense Abee!

Quietobserver

Post by Quietobserver » Thu May 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
I for one think fans can get too hung up on finances and investments, big clubs can go pop (Bolton on the verge) as well as smaller ones (Macclesfield back in trouble again). True, if your a BIG BIG Club like Man City, United, Liverpool etc then to stay at the top you need to buy the best as in their case success must be instant so money indeed talks.

But get the right manager, right blend of players and right back up to sustain that over longer periods then you really don't need all the money in the world, just a slice of real good luck and a strong wind.

We just have not got that balance yet, and yes it is so frustrating.

Our next Manager choice will be more so vital, simply once in a down spiral moving back upwards is so much harder.

98% of us supporters praised Shahid for getting Gary back, seemingly now 75% now thought terrible decision ........... that's how fickle we can be, so that turns to Shahid getting it wrong ....... the bloke is in a no win situation, yet so many fans refuse to at least acknowledge this ... much easier to single someone out and target an individual. Lonely at the top isn't it?

But the pack still hunts in numbers !!
On the other hand, get next choice right please Shahid and ASAP please ..... I need rid of this fickle itch I'm getting :lol:
That's a little bit of a manipulation of the facts there. Nobody has said now that Shahid bringing Gary back was a bad idea in hindsight.

The only comments I've seen are people saying they the board should have reviewed his position (and removed him from his position at the beginning of the year)

To say that people were saying that bringing Gary back was a bad idea, is being intellectually dishonest and you know it.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Thu May 09, 2019 3:45 pm

to say that people were saying that bringing Gary back was a bad idea, is being intellectually dishonest and you know it
Actually I was being very honest, there has been a big swing in change via fans on Gary, although nervous I was glad to see his return, but in all honesty in the last 18 months of his time that changed, towards the end I think his stay was probably six months too long. And you could tell a hell of a lot of supporters that contribute on Shotsweb alone thought very similar.

If you need to dissect my posts then you should have seen my biggest point was Shahids treatment of hiring and firing, with most fans praising his signing at the beginning but when results changed more happy to hang him. That I refused to do.

I've always said I felt the blame for results on performance was firmly down to Gary, his choice of players, tactics and dogmatic stance not to change things got us relegated, not the Chairman for not giving him more money or differing contract.

On a differing note, I'm hurt you say I could lie via intelligence ........ most folk say I'm simplistic, generous at the bar and an all round football expert ..... well, some of that last bit could be a bit a slight exaggeration, you decide which bit 8)

mountpleasant61

Post by mountpleasant61 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:19 pm

I enjoy reading all the posts but have to admit very few impress me.
Abee impresses me as he certainly talks sense and not dribble like most.
Oh how I would like to see Brian Bloomfield and Abee running this club.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:22 pm

mountpleasant61 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:19 pm
I enjoy reading all the posts but have to admit very few impress me.
Abee impresses me as he certainly talks sense and not dribble like most.
Oh how I would like to see Brian Bloomfield and Abee running this club.
Now that would be something, they I feel would make a difference.

mountpleasant61

Post by mountpleasant61 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Thank you Shots1954
I'll add you to my non dribble talking list.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 09, 2019 5:43 pm

mountpleasant61 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:27 pm
Thank you Shots1954
I'll add you to my non dribble talking list.
Please whoosh me if necessary, but the word is "drivel".

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Thu May 09, 2019 6:34 pm

mountpleasant61 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:27 pm
Thank you Shots1954
I'll add you to my non dribble talking list. 💕
:wink: :D

mountpleasant61

Post by mountpleasant61 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:29 am

OK Birdman
Just shows you know what I meant.
If the cap fits

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Fri May 10, 2019 7:44 am

mountpleasant61 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:29 am
OK Birdman
Just shows you know what I meant.
If the cap fits
It was MikeB who was pointing out your mix-up over words.

mountpleasant61

Post by mountpleasant61 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 pm

My apologies Birdman.
I stand corrected, it was MikeB so my message goes to him.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri May 10, 2019 3:02 pm

mountpleasant61 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 pm
My apologies Birdman.
I expect we all knew what you meant. I am just a pedant. Sorry.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Fri May 10, 2019 3:08 pm

MikeB wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:02 pm
mountpleasant61 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 pm
My apologies Birdman.
I expect we all knew what you meant. I am just a pedant. Sorry.
Nah, don’t apologise. Put it down to his living in Australialand. :wink: