Why Rugby and not Football

shotshammo
Why Rugby and not Football

Post by shotshammo » Sun May 12, 2019 10:09 am

Something that has puzzled me for years is, why in Rugby the coach sits high in the stand and looks at the patterns of the game, then relays his findings down to his assistant coach, to change the pattern of play as necessary.
Yet in football certainly at the lower levels, the Manager and Coach both stand on the touch line bawling at the players. (Is this an ego thing)
There are two things wrong with this,
1. The players subconsciously drift towards them, due to the fact they want to hear them above the noise of the fans.
2. The pattern of play or lack of it, can not be seen so readily.

chimpster99
Re: Why Rugby and not Football

Post by chimpster99 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:35 am

Much of this is down to the role of the captain and other senior players in rugby, and also because the game is far more structured than football. Football is a fairly chaotic game really, players have their positions but otherwise it’s unpredictable and down to the flair and quick thinking of the players - managers need to be close to the action to coach as the game progresses. Rugby is more of a game of chess, the coaching is mostly done on the training field and during matches the management are making strategic decisions and also taking notes and gathering data for the following weeks training. The captain takes on the job of geeing up his team and calling the moves.

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Sun May 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks "chimpster99", very insightful.

80fc

Post by 80fc » Sun May 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Rugby is a ruffians game played by Gentlemen and football is a Gentlemans game played by ruffians,

HarryTom

Post by HarryTom » Sun May 12, 2019 2:41 pm

80fc wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:37 pm
Rugby is a ruffians game played by Gentlemen and football is a Gentlemans game played by ruffians,
Youv'e never played rugby then

Aldershot Gas

Post by Aldershot Gas » Sun May 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Crap sport, even more duller than F1 - backed up by the lack of interest given by nation, unless England are playing... when then everyone gets excited, puts on an england top and goes down the pub to watch it - yet none of them would even consider watching an avivia premiership game...

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Sun May 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Whilst on holiday abroad with my family, they had a International Rugby game, where England were playing Ireland
My son in law played rugby, so we all went down the pub to watch the game. A few minutes into the game England scored a try, my son in law then shot off to the toilets, when he came back, they decided to replay the try. He jumped up and down saying "yes, we're stuffing them. The many Irish in the bar roared out with laughter, we didn't tell him why, so he was force to ask the Irish why they were laughing. I offered to treat them to a round , but they said no, seeing an Englishman making a prat of himself was priceless. :lol:

Ian M

Post by Ian M » Mon May 13, 2019 4:21 pm

VAR works fine in rugby.... if the ref isnt sure, he "goes upstairs." His word is final.

Football doesnt seem to understand the principle ... not sure why.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Mon May 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Rugby has always been a much more start/stop game, whereas football flows (most of the time).

VAR has its place, but the way it was used in the last World Cup was ridiculous with almost every decision being refered and then still got wrong! It slowed the game up far too much.

It is said that over a season the amount of dodgy decisions that go against you are balanced out by the ones that go in your favour, and I can think of quite a few in both categories over my 40 x years of watching the Shots.

As I said, VAR has its place, but if overused, destroys the flow of the game.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:50 pm
Rugby has always been a much more start/stop game, whereas football flows (most of the time).

VAR has its place, but the way it was used in the last World Cup was ridiculous with almost every decision being refered and then still got wrong! It slowed the game up far too much.

It is said that over a season the amount of dodgy decisions that go against you are balanced out by the ones that go in your favour, and I can think of quite a few in both categories over my 40 x years of watching the Shots.

As I said, VAR has its place, but if overused, destroys the flow of the game.
I don’t think that Neil Warnock will agree with you. :D

Wokingham Shot

Post by Wokingham Shot » Mon May 13, 2019 8:06 pm

Rugby is one of those sports where understanding what your opponents are doing is almost as important as what you are doing. Best way to determine that is from on high. The other sport like this is NFL, where the positiin coaches are often high up.

Re the VAR, just finished a full season in the Ere Divisie and you almost forget it is there. The refs and video refs are now experienced in it and alot of calls are being cleared on the fly or with minimal time loss. Had one Sunday, handball shout on a cross that went out for a corner. By the time the players got in place for the corner the ref had had it checked. You only really notice it when the video ref hands a close call off to the ref. The one improvement I would like to see is some form of indication as to what is being looked at. But as one club's fans refuse to have a video scoreboard it will be down to the refs.