Havant and Waterlooville getting their business done early.

Headley Shot
Re: Havant and Waterlooville getting their business done early.

Post by Headley Shot » Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 am

Other clubs have the jump on the Shots, no doubt.
Much depends on who the Club appoint as he will start his position when many players are already on holiday, so he’d better have most of his signings already lined up and waiting.
Of course, the timing is probably deliberate or planned by Aldershot’s board of directors.
Appointing a manager late in the close season, the uncertainty of which league we’re playing in, compounded by the Chairman’s view that he will probably choose the lower division show a complete lack of understanding about the sport of football.
But is he right ?
Would it be better to play in NLS and does it really make little difference because the sponsors are still on side ?
Is everything rosy in the garden because we have been offered a Head of Lease on the ground ?
There has been no announcement of the club actually signing the offered long term lease.
What are they waiting for ?
History tells us that double relegation can happen when a football club dithers and doesn’t move positively forwards.
I live in hope rather than any great expectation.

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Wed May 15, 2019 9:00 am

Re. The scoring issue Oliver, when we were doing well we had nearly all the team scoring goals, being dependant on one player is always going to lead to failure. Having half the team scoring between 5-10 goals, makes it much harder for defences to set up tactics to prevent goals. This last season we were very shooting shy.
The reverse of your statement, "If you can't score what's the point" is, "If you can't defend what's the point" both hold good.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 am

Headley Shot wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 am
Much depends on who the Club appoint as he will start his position when many players are already on holiday, so he’d better have most of his signings already lined up and waiting.
Of course, the timing is probably deliberate or planned by Aldershot’s board of directors.
Appointing a manager late in the close season, the uncertainty of which league we’re playing in, compounded by the Chairman’s view that he will probably choose the lower division show a complete lack of understanding about the sport of football.
But is he right ?
Would it be better to play in NLS and does it really make little difference because the sponsors are still on side ?
Is everything rosy in the garden because we have been offered a Head of Lease on the ground ?
There has been no announcement of the club actually signing the offered long term lease.
History tells us that double relegation can happen when a football club dithers and doesn’t move positively forwards.
My view is he the Chairman does not understand the business of running a football club. Sadly our new Manager, whoever it is will have to source players from what is left. A Manager usually targets what players he wants to sign before the end of the season so they are aware, I am told.
Yes the sponsors are on board and so much of that rests in Mark Butlers capable hands.
This lease business worries me I have to say because the redevelopment of the whole site could rapidly change where football is moved away to a new out of town site. The terms of the lease will have to be so tight from the Council to ensure that does not happen.

As you say we can only hope!

mountpleasant61

Post by mountpleasant61 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 am

In answer to Oliver11
Any idea who had the most trust from the fans, GW or SA?

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed May 15, 2019 3:09 pm

mountpleasant61 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 am
In answer to Oliver11
Any idea who had the most trust from the fans, GW or SA?
That's a non-starter, Mountie. Each case has to be evaluated on its own terms. If I say to you "Peter Sutcliffe was an evil murderer", you cannot exonerate Sutcliffe by replying "Not as evil a murderer as Adolf Hitler".

LewATFC

Post by LewATFC » Wed May 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Havant, Maidstone and so on cracking on with their business early - new managers, new players - most of our squad going without a chance for our new manager to get a look in. All whilst our chairman twiddles his thumbs pretending to have a clue about football. He wanted Steve King appointed instead of Waddock last time, expect an appointment of that ilk after his history of appointing Andy Scott and Barry Smith. Slow and ponderous planning. There should have always been a contingency set in stone for if/when Waddock and the club were going to part ways, instead we wait weeks on end before the interviewing even starts. That's really, really poor.

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed May 15, 2019 5:17 pm

LewATFC wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:56 pm
most of our squad going without a chance for our new manager to get a look in

we wait weeks on end before the interviewing even starts
1) good. 95% of them aren’t decent enough so I hope they continue to join other clubs. So far, I’m not bothered about losing Fenelon or Gallagher.

2) have we really though? No.

Headley Shot

Post by Headley Shot » Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 am
Headley Shot wrote:
But is he right ?
My view is he the Chairman does not understand the business of running a football club. Sadly our new Manager, whoever it is will have to source players from what is left. A Manager usually targets what players he wants to sign before the end of the season so they are aware, I am told.
Yes the sponsors are on board and so much of that rests in Mark Butlers capable hands.
This lease business worries me I have to say because the redevelopment of the whole site could rapidly change where football is moved away to a new out of town site. The terms of the lease will have to be so tight from the Council to ensure that does not happen.

I’m sure the council will make sure the club stay at the Rec. What isn’t clear is how much land the club would have to offer developers otherwise. Is there enough ? Will planning permission be given for flats and maybe a hotel as well as ground improvements ?
I’m not sure Mr Azeem is going to stick around too much longer as he now has the opportunity to move on and maybe make a profit on his investment.
As usual, no real discussion about the club’s future from Mr Azeem, even at the fans forum.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Wed May 15, 2019 7:32 pm

LewATFC wrote:
Havant, Maidstone and so on cracking on with their business early - new managers, new players - most of our squad going without a chance for our new manager to get a look in. All whilst our chairman twiddles his thumbs pretending to have a clue about football. He wanted Steve King appointed instead of Waddock last time, expect an appointment of that ilk after his history of appointing Andy Scott and Barry Smith. Slow and ponderous planning. There should have always been a contingency set in stone for if/when Waddock and the club were going to part ways,instead we wait weeks on end before the interviewing even starts. That's really, really poor.
I doubt very much if the Chairman made the appointments of Messrs Scott and Smith solely on his own.

GW left at the beginning of May (announcement on May 2nd). Today is the 15th of May. Hardly weeks on end.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Wed May 15, 2019 7:48 pm

I think we could have another bad season. As with last years debacle , it looks like we're going to be last again signing players and trying to sling something together towards the start of august. I can only assume this late signing policy is an economic one insisted on by the board as it means we don't have to pay any player wages in the close season. We need a manager appointed ASAP and to get a squad together -or will that be delayed so we wont have to pay the incoming manager until the end of august ? It feels uncomfortably like last seasons shambles carrying on.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Headley Shot wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 am
Headley Shot wrote:
But is he right ?

I’m sure the council will make sure the club stay at the Rec. What isn’t clear is how much land the club would have to offer developers otherwise. Is there enough ? Will planning permission be given for flats and maybe a hotel as well as ground improvements ?
I’m not sure Mr Azeem is going to stick around too much longer as he now has the opportunity to move on and maybe make a profit on his investment.
As usual, no real discussion about the club’s future from Mr Azeem, even at the fans forum.
I hope you are right about the Council! But yes no discussion about the club's future!

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 am

Headley Shot wrote:

Did you ask questions that weren't answered?

Headley Shot

Post by Headley Shot » Thu May 16, 2019 8:45 am

Ancient Shot wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 am
Headley Shot wrote:

Did you ask questions that weren't answered?
I’ve been asking the same question since Azeem took over.
Just for you Ancient, though I’m sure you know it already, it’s “What’s the plan for the club ?”
I don’t think it’s an unreasonable question but you seem to think it’s unnecessary ?

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Thu May 16, 2019 10:17 am

Didn't say that at all

Just asked if you posed the question at the forum

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu May 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Birdman wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:32 pm
LewATFC wrote:
Havant, Maidstone and so on cracking on with their business early - new managers, new players - most of our squad going without a chance for our new manager to get a look in. All whilst our chairman twiddles his thumbs pretending to have a clue about football. He wanted Steve King appointed instead of Waddock last time, expect an appointment of that ilk after his history of appointing Andy Scott and Barry Smith. Slow and ponderous planning. There should have always been a contingency set in stone for if/when Waddock and the club were going to part ways,instead we wait weeks on end before the interviewing even starts. That's really, really poor.
I doubt very much if the Chairman made the appointments of Messrs Scott and Smith solely on his own.

GW left at the beginning of May (announcement on May 2nd). Today is the 15th of May. Hardly weeks on end.
He certainly didn't have much say in recruiting Andy Scott as he wasn't even the chairman when Scott replaced Holdsworth, Kris Macaela was still Chairman then.