Havant and Waterlooville getting their business done early.

Old Bob
Re: Havant and Waterlooville getting their business done early.

Post by Old Bob » Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:36 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Most of us trusted in Gary but the likes of you and others that have no staying power or loyality and only look for short term success, helped drive him out.

If it wasn't my passion I sort of hope the next guy is even worst to teach you a life lesson Oliver. We have probably made a fundamental error in losing Gary.
I fear the future.
Please see my recent post immediately above for a contrary view. Differing opinions are entirely valid, Mr Mouse. Oliver does not agree with you (and neither do I). That is no reason to attack him. What you call "staying power" and "loyalty" I would rather call reluctance to face facts, but that's not to denigrate what you say. We simply see things differently.
Attacking ? No-one was attacked. :o :o
Well, Anon, fair point. Certainly not the most vicious Rottweiler-like attack ever. Still, I think even you would have to admit that phrases like "teach you a lesson" are not exactly neutral in tone.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Tue May 14, 2019 10:00 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:36 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Please see my recent post immediately above for a contrary view. Differing opinions are entirely valid, Mr Mouse. Oliver does not agree with you (and neither do I). That is no reason to attack him. What you call "staying power" and "loyalty" I would rather call reluctance to face facts, but that's not to denigrate what you say. We simply see things differently.
Attacking ? No-one was attacked. :o :o
Well, Anon, fair point. Certainly not the most vicious Rottweiler-like attack ever. Still, I think even you would have to admit that phrases like "teach you a lesson" are not exactly neutral in tone.
The lad needs to learn that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, and loyality, as we all are to the Shots and I am to many people, is a massively important human trait.

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Tue May 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 pm
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:48 pm
Couple of good posts there senior Roberto!
O dear DP and there was me thinking we saw things the same....apart from Utd and Liverpool of course :(

Only time will tell, and of course in this case , I'm hoping for a very rare occasion , that I'm very very wrong.
His Brian clough post was good

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:33 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:21 pm
Oliver11 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 pm
Trust in Gary wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:19 pm
Havant have gone full time. Interesting straker left us cos he could no go full time due to his job but now gone full time with them
More interesting that you still 'Trust in Gary' :lol:
Most of us trusted in Gary but the likes of you and others that have no staying power or loyality and only look for short term success, helped drive him out.

If it wasn't my passion I sort of hope the next guy is even worst to teach you a life lesson Oliver. We have probably made a fundamental error in losing Gary.
I fear the future.
Most of us DIDN'T trust in Gary anymore, including our Chairman, hence he is no longer our manager.

Old Bob is correct. GW wasn't the same manager that won us promotion over a decade ago and drove himself out of his position with extremely poor results and record breaking stats the past year.

The lesson in life Mr Mouse is this - If you don't perform expect someone else that will.

Many great managers has succumbed to this fate, one's far greater than GW.

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:47 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 pm
redandbluescb wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 pm

Our new manager wont be as good as Gary Waddock and even if he is i doubt he will get us into the football
league. I really hope i am wrong but fear getting rid of the Wadfather will turn out to be a big mistake.
On the contrary, the mistake was hanging on too long, in the forlorn hope that something would change. Not clever.
Me and SCB and many others disagree. Why do you think there were no protests, banners etc. Most of us trusted him and because of the way he was, his previous success, his love of the club, wanted to remain loyal and give the man a chance to turn it round next season.
First of all no one has driven Waddock out. If anything you could argue the boards incompetence has driven him out as it may have escaped your attention but one thing the chairman has confirmed is that the club wanted and tried to keep him.

Finances the way they are due to above mentioned incompetence have meant his contract would be on different terms and he obviously felt they werent for him and he is perfectly within his rights to seek employment elsewhere.

The second thing i would point out that Waddocks love of Aldershot is overstated. He loved being a manager and the success that can bring but given a better offer that was right for him he would have been off and no kne could blame him. Lets not pretend he was Aldershot through and through.. He wasnt and theres no problem in that. Its his job.

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Tue May 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Old Bob wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 pm

On the contrary, the mistake was hanging on too long, in the forlorn hope that something would change. Not clever.
Me and SCB and many others disagree. Why do you think there were no protests, banners etc. Most of us trusted him and because of the way he was, his previous success, his love of the club, wanted to remain loyal and give the man a chance to turn it round next season.
First of all no one has driven Waddock out. If anything you could argue the boards incompetence has driven him out as it may have escaped your attention but one thing the chairman has confirmed is that the club wanted and tried to keep him.

Finances the way they are due to above mentioned incompetence have meant his contract would be on different terms and he obviously felt they werent for him and he is perfectly within his rights to seek employment elsewhere.

The second thing i would point out that Waddocks love of Aldershot is overstated. He loved being a manager and the success that can bring but given a better offer that was right for him he would have been off and no kne could blame him. Lets not pretend he was Aldershot through and through.. He wasnt and theres no problem in that. Its his job.
Indeed IF the Bristol Rovers offer was ever given ,he'd of been off like a shot. I still think it was a BS story concocted by his media buddies .

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Tue May 14, 2019 11:14 pm

I’ll guarantee the new manager won’t go 21 games without a win.
That in itself must of been some sort of record.

Brian Clough for the record is probably one of the top three greatest managers of all time.
A truly great of the game.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Wed May 15, 2019 4:11 am

It's not just Havant doing early business, Maidstone, Dagenham, Bromley also getting their feet wet in signings.

Where as I didn't expect us to be guns blazing just yet, did hope we might be a week or so further ahead of the game.

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 am

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:11 am
It's not just Havant doing early business, Maidstone, Dagenham, Bromley also getting their feet wet in signings.

Where as I didn't expect us to be guns blazing just yet, did hope we might be a week or so further ahead of the game.
In fairness to the club they are trying to get the new manager in place asap.
Hopefully they have learnt from the mistakes last season and try to get some stability from the off.

80fc

Post by 80fc » Wed May 15, 2019 7:53 am

lowerbourneshot wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:07 pm
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:

Indeed IF the Bristol Rovers offer was ever given ,he'd of been off like a shot. I still think it was a BS story concocted by his media buddies .
[/quote
He turned down the Orient job last season

ACA

Post by ACA » Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 am

80fc wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:53 am
He turned down the Orient job last season
The circumstances were very different in 2017-18. When Orient's manager was sacked, they were hovering around the relegation zone - in contrast, we were up near the top of the table and challenging for promotion.

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 am

The biggest mistake we made, (my opinion) was not affording a strong defensive leader, they don't come cheap. I don't know what the wage structure was, but avoiding inequality at this level can be a big downer re. team spirit. You have to accept in any business the better performers get more money.
The big danger and I fear this was a lot of our problem, was, that the senior players did not perform to their capabilities, hence poor comradery.
As the saying goes, "You only have to have one piece missing in a jig saw puzzle to render it worthless".
P.S. The supporters who quote, " we need a captain", are spot on.
Last edited by shotshammo on Wed May 15, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 am

shotshammo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 am
The biggest mistake we made, (my opinion) was not affording a strong defensive leader, they don't come cheap. I don't know what the wage structure was, but avoiding inequality at this level can be a big downer re. team spirit. You have to accept in any business the better performers get more money.
The big danger and I fear this was a lot of our problem, that the senior players did not perform to their capabilities, hence poor comradery.
As the saying goes, "You only have to have one piece missing in a jig saw puzzle to render it worthless".
I think GW had a lot of faith in Osborne playing that role. Unfortunately he turned out to be Captain Crock and by the time Big George came along, it was too late.

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:47 am

shotshammo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 am
The big danger and I fear this was a lot of our problem, that the senior players did not perform to their capabilities, hence poor comradery.
Wasn't that suppose to be Osbourne, looked like to could of done the job but was rarely fit to play.

Elekobi then was all too late unfortunately.

IMO the failings of not signing a decent striker yet again caught up with us, GW never got this concept - just look at the stats.

Obviously there were other issues / areas but if you can't score then what's the point.

ACA

Post by ACA » Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 am

That's what did for us this season - 67 goals against was not the worst in the league (Eastleigh qualified for the play-offs having conceded 63). However, 38 goals scored was a pathetic return. Only Maidstone scored fewer (37).