The academy

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: The academy

Post by Disturbed Postie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Cph.shots wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:47 am
Disturbed Postie wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:11 pm
Could it be the gentleman who got banned for a month on April 1st I believe? Mates with the Viking fella πŸ˜€

That did cross my mind too Postie but Pretty sure it isn't him.
Yeah fair enough

southstand stalwart
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:19 pm
Re: The academy

Post by southstand stalwart » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm

In my experience (which is mainly at The Foundation stage level of this academy) the focus is wrong and is more based on the parents ability to pay the annual subs rather than a kids ability to play. Without the funds from subs the academy wouldn't exist which to my mind is the fundamental difference between non-league and league based academies - a fact of life at non-league level but this compromises decision making of those running the academy and muddies water when looking for local talent. Many disillusioned under 11s removed themselves from the academy last season owing to a lack of direction from the coaches and the general low standard of both their teammates and of opposition in the JPL. From what I've seen the standard is poor which, if feeding through to the later age groups, means the standard of ability in the older age groups is simply too low to get anywhere near the first team.

lanternhall
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: The academy

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:52 am

southstand stalwart wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm
In my experience (which is mainly at The Foundation stage level of this academy) the focus is wrong and is more based on the parents ability to pay the annual subs rather than a kids ability to play. Without the funds from subs the academy wouldn't exist which to my mind is the fundamental difference between non-league and league based academies - a fact of life at non-league level but this compromises decision making of those running the academy and muddies water when looking for local talent. Many disillusioned under 11s removed themselves from the academy last season owing to a lack of direction from the coaches and the general low standard of both their teammates and of opposition in the JPL. From what I've seen the standard is poor which, if feeding through to the later age groups, means the standard of ability in the older age groups is simply too low to get anywhere near the first team.
If what you say is true and I have no reason to doubt you. I find it very disheartening. I know we are not a wealthy club but surely it is better for the club to fund the academy and develope the best talent. Or am I just being idealistic?

Desertshot
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:25 pm
Re: The academy

Post by Desertshot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:46 am

lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:52 am
southstand stalwart wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm
In my experience (which is mainly at The Foundation stage level of this academy) the focus is wrong and is more based on the parents ability to pay the annual subs rather than a kids ability to play. Without the funds from subs the academy wouldn't exist which to my mind is the fundamental difference between non-league and league based academies - a fact of life at non-league level but this compromises decision making of those running the academy and muddies water when looking for local talent. Many disillusioned under 11s removed themselves from the academy last season owing to a lack of direction from the coaches and the general low standard of both their teammates and of opposition in the JPL. From what I've seen the standard is poor which, if feeding through to the later age groups, means the standard of ability in the older age groups is simply too low to get anywhere near the first team.
If what you say is true and I have no reason to doubt you. I find it very disheartening. I know we are not a wealthy club but surely it is better for the club to fund the academy and develope the best talent. Or am I just being idealistic?
Sadly like so many thing in the brave new world we live in, it seems it's all about money, of which a fair number of clubs at our level have very little to spare!. Having said that, Isn't there an apprenticeship scheme?

Melbourne Red
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: The academy

Post by Melbourne Red » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 am

Nowadays it seems the only clubs at our sort of level that can develop decent talent through their academies tend to be those that are geographically isolated, like Exeter. Clubs that are significantly bigger than us, such as Brentford, have given up their youth development as a result. It’s a shame as it was great when we had the likes of Winfield and Hylton in the team - maybe Danny will be able to attract some decent talent into the older age groups through his contacts?

Richard Petty
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: The academy

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:06 am

Desertshot wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:46 am
lanternhall wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:52 am
southstand stalwart wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm
In my experience (which is mainly at The Foundation stage level of this academy) the focus is wrong and is more based on the parents ability to pay the annual subs rather than a kids ability to play. Without the funds from subs the academy wouldn't exist which to my mind is the fundamental difference between non-league and league based academies - a fact of life at non-league level but this compromises decision making of those running the academy and muddies water when looking for local talent. Many disillusioned under 11s removed themselves from the academy last season owing to a lack of direction from the coaches and the general low standard of both their teammates and of opposition in the JPL. From what I've seen the standard is poor which, if feeding through to the later age groups, means the standard of ability in the older age groups is simply too low to get anywhere near the first team.
If what you say is true and I have no reason to doubt you. I find it very disheartening. I know we are not a wealthy club but surely it is better for the club to fund the academy and develope the best talent. Or am I just being idealistic?
Sadly like so many thing in the brave new world we live in, it seems it's all about money, of which a fair number of clubs at our level have very little to spare!. Having said that, Isn't there an apprenticeship scheme?
I am not that knowledgeable on Academy matters now but I do know that the Apprenticeships don't start until you reach the scholar level, the level that southstand stalwart is talking about is junior (Foundation) level.

Sadly it is true that most clubs face having to make some compromises when recruiting players because unless its changed since my days at the club the funding system that is in place is based on numbers rather than individual players. This means that unless the academy takes on the minimum number of players then it doesn't get any funding at all. In my world it would make far more sense if clubs got funding for each individual player regardless of the total number signed up this could mean smaller numbers overall but it would ensure that clubs focused on just the best players.

The reality is that without funding no club even the wealthier ones could afford to run an Academy and that unfortunately does mean that the financial side of it does have to influence the way its run

AMJS007
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:30 pm
Re: The academy

Post by AMJS007 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 am

Some of the local teams, such as Camberley Boys & Girls, Camberley Town, Crookham Rovers, Aldershot Boys & Girls etc have better players than those at our Academy. There are two local lads who were at these clubs in fact one of them was at Aldershot Town as well.
One now signed a professional contract at Reading and the other one the same at Watford.

tonygodfrey
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:28 pm
Re: The academy

Post by tonygodfrey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Am aware of a number of boys who played in the NEHYL and Surrey Leagues who enjoyed time at various academies. As far as I am aware the furthest any of them have gone is playing college football in the US. One or two have stuck it out with local clubs such as Fleet or Hartley Wintney but the vast majority drop out and do something else entirely.

It's partly that as they mature they can stand out less but also that the facilities at these academies spoil them. One lad was released by Southampton and went to Cambridge Utd but left very quickly due partly to the facilities there being so much poorer than he was used to.

The conversion rate to professional football is tiny and unfortunately many of the lads have their expectations raised very unrealistically.

AMJS007
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:30 pm
Re: The academy

Post by AMJS007 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 pm

tonygodfrey wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:44 pm
Am aware of a number of boys who played in the NEHYL and Surrey Leagues who enjoyed time at various academies. As far as I am aware the furthest any of them have gone is playing college football in the US. One or two have stuck it out with local clubs such as Fleet or Hartley Wintney but the vast majority drop out and do something else entirely.

It's partly that as they mature they can stand out less but also that the facilities at these academies spoil them. One lad was released by Southampton and went to Cambridge Utd but left very quickly due partly to the facilities there being so much poorer than he was used to.

The conversion rate to professional football is tiny and unfortunately many of the lads have their expectations raised very unrealistically.
Conor Wickham was with us as a youngster I think


Post Reply