Non Football thread - BBC Licence fee

Charles Dickens
Re: Non Football thread - BBC Licence fee

Post by Charles Dickens » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:29 pm

Huge savings could be made by the BBC from the millions they pay to third rate presenters and personalities. But the BBC is a cosy establishment that prefers to finance its programmes out of the pockets of pensioners.And how much money do they spend on anti Brexit propaganda (so sorry, I could not resist going off subject).

scorp

Post by scorp » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:30 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:19 pm
Richard Petty wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:49 pm
Apologies to those who don't like non football threads but this has just made me very angry.

The BBC have just announced that they will no longer give free TV Licences to the over 75's unless someone in the household is on Pension credits.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48583487

It doesn't affect me as I am still only 60 plus I am fortunate enough that when I get to 75 I will (hopefully) be able to afford to carry on paying but that's not the case for hundreds of thousands of pensioners for whom every penny counts. There are many pensioners who live off very small private pensions that just tip them over the threshold so that they cant get benefits like pension credits so for them having to now spend money they need for heat or food on an outdated requirement like a TV licence is a disgrace.

The Government should scrap TV Licences and the BBC should source advertising revenue to cover their costs, with so many people now using online sources for their viewing such as Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.... its crazy that they still have to pay the BBC to own a TV even if they never use any BBC channels.

:evil:
Hi Richard. I have never met you but have read and responded to a lot of your posts. I respect you but I am afraid I disagree with you. The B. B. C. Offers a fantastic service and I do not believe it should be funded by advertising. The last thing that we want is the American system with more ads than programs.
The B. B .C make superb programs particularly drama.

I agree with you that the free license should not be scrapped but please don't blame the B.B. C. Blame George Osborn. He switched the requirement to provide the free license from Government to the B.B.C. as another austerity cut.

If the B.B.C. were to implement free licenses to everyone over 75 it would need to make massive cuts to programming.
Let's have the US and Australian version of advertising on the BBC. Decent drama and films etc interrupted every few minutes by inane ads, and ads shown *during play* of e.g. the FA Cup final. I mention that because when living in Oz i watched an FA Cup final, decided by a 1-0 win, on Channel 7. Suddenly, with no warning, during play, an ad came on. I switched to Channel 9, which thankfully was not running an ad at the same time, and ... the goal was scored. So, bring it on and let's enjoy the shitstorm of protest by the hardcore anti auntie moaners ;) ... They'll moan whatever auntie does, unless she was to change her name to "Fox" or "Breitbart". :lol:

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 am

[quote="Charles Dickens" post_id=591446 time=1560205782 user_id=1326]
Huge savings could be made by the BBC from the millions they pay to third rate presenters and personalities. But the BBC is a cosy establishment that prefers to finance its programmes out of the pockets of pensioners.And how much money do they spend on anti Brexit propaganda (so sorry, I could not resist going off subject).
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:
Oh like John Humphrys, Fiona Bruce and all the other pro-Brexit presenters... :roll:
The BBC is the ultimate Tory propaganda machine!!!!!

scorp

Post by scorp » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:28 am

chimpster99 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 am
Charles Dickens wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:29 pm
:lol: :lol:
Oh like John Humphrys, Fiona Bruce and all the other pro-Brexit presenters... :roll:
The BBC is the ultimate Tory propaganda machine!!!!!
Ah, the fragrant Fiona - married to someone whose advertising company has received millions of £s to advertise government policy...

Quietobserver

Post by Quietobserver » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 am

brian bloomfield wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 pm
If the BBC was politically independent and had an acceptable moral grounding then we should continue with the licence fee. However as it stands I would shut down this abomination of a tax revenue leftish idealism as soon as possible.
Lol.

Quietobserver

Post by Quietobserver » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:46 am

If it's fairly means tested I don't see the problem. Too many wealthy pensioners have too much of a good deal.

The elderly come out and vote in larger numbers so the politicians have to pander to them.

People who genuinely can't afford it shouldn't have to pay, but retired judges, accountants, etc, shouldn't be getting a free ride in regards to the tv licence.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:12 am

......but it's not all doom and gloom, your future PM has proposed tax cuts for the upper middle class, so at least they'll be ok.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:36 am

If you mean Boris and I assume you do. If he is next p.m. God help us.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 am

Quietobserver wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:46 am
If it's fairly means tested I don't see the problem. Too many wealthy pensioners have too much of a good deal.

The elderly come out and vote in larger numbers so the politicians have to pander to them.

People who genuinely can't afford it shouldn't have to pay, but retired judges, accountants, etc, shouldn't be getting a free ride in regards to the tv licence.
I agree with your last paragraph but the problem with means testing is that pensioners who are just above pension credits but still poor will have to pay.

ACA

Post by ACA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 am

lanternhall wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:21 pm
AberdeenShots wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:03 pm
If you own a TV, the BBC is possibly the only COMPULSORY SUBSCRIPTION state media service on the planet.

Purveyors of bile and propaganda.
PAY OR GO TO JAIL.
Even Pyongyang are laughing at us.
You cannot now go to jail for not owning a license. It was abolished.
Not exactly. It remains a criminal offence not to own a TV licence, punishable by a fine. If the fine is not paid then as a measure of last resort, a short prison sentence can be imposed (although that is effectively the punishment for not paying the fine, rather than not paying the TV licence).

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 am

ACA wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 am
lanternhall wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:21 pm
AberdeenShots wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:03 pm
If you own a TV, the BBC is possibly the only COMPULSORY SUBSCRIPTION state media service on the planet.

Purveyors of bile and propaganda.
PAY OR GO TO JAIL.
Even Pyongyang are laughing at us.
You cannot now go to jail for not owning a license. It was abolished.
Not exactly. It remains a criminal offence not to own a TV licence, punishable by a fine. If the fine is not paid then as a measure of last resort, a short prison sentence can be imposed (although that is effectively the punishment for not paying the fine, rather than not paying the TV licence).
Exactly. You do not go to prison for not having a TV license. You go to prison for not paying the fine.

paul4shots

Post by paul4shots » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:12 am

Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on any online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It covers all programmes on any channel, including soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

If you’re watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence:

if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service
for all channels, not just the BBC
if you record a programme and watch it later
if you watch a programme on a delay
to watch or record repeats
to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels
to watch live programmes on Red Button services
even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services

So this info says its not just for bbc

mountpleasant61

Post by mountpleasant61 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 am

Over here in Australia we have free to air TV on all channels ( about 150 )
As someone has said, with free TV you get too many ads.
The good thing about it though is you don't have to watch it you can turn it off.
Best of all when it's broadcast I can sit and LISTEN to the Shots games.
I would willingly pay to be able to watch them.
And remember most of the season I am 8 hrs in front of you so It's 11-00 PM here when I can start to listen.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 am

It's good that the Aussies appreciate their sport enough to put it on free to air.

I remember we were told the "crown jewels " of sport would always be on free to air. Cricket was the first to go completely. Golf was next.

Do Foxtel just do movies etc or do they have some sports (basketball etc) ?

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:19 am

lanternhall wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 am
Quietobserver wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:46 am

I agree with your last paragraph but the problem with means testing is that pensioners who are just above pension credits but still poor will have to pay.
Spot on Lanternhall, that's the crux of my disagreement with what the BBC announced.

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread the big mistake was the Government giving responsibility for the collection of the fee to the BBC. The fairest way of charging the fee if we have to have one is that it remains free to pensioners who only pay tax at 20%, anyone paying tax at 40% should have to pay because that indicates that they can afford to pay it.