Squads taking shape

Giles
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Giles » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Lots of positivity from Yeovil fans then :)

we've actually got a team of 11 players now . .. … . .. ...AND A SUB!

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:38 pm

Giles wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:37 pm
Lots of positivity from Yeovil fans then :)

we've actually got a team of 11 players now . .. … . .. ...AND A SUB!
All we need now is a DESTROYER! :wink:

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Instead of last year's cruisers?

aldershot-jg

Post by aldershot-jg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:04 pm

midfield like the defence looks like it’s taken shape now, just really got to tick that striker box now.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Squad sounds good. We need a goalscorer.

Melbourne Red

Post by Melbourne Red » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:39 pm

Santos sounds quite good, handy that he can play centre mid as well as on the wing. Some Yeovil fans mention him being a bit lightweight though, so with Rowe and Chislett we may need another enforcer - Rance can’t do it all on his own.

Still one more to come tomorrow. I had thought it would be Fowler, but maybe it will be a striker.

86/87 Glory Year

Post by 86/87 Glory Year » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:58 am

It’s interesting, listening to Danny at the forum he stated his teams would have an incredible work ethic. I imagined we would be signing strong athletic players who would work themselves into the ground. Rowe, JBA and Chislett aren’t those type of players.

Without being critical, from the players we have signed I see players who have talent but are very similar to last seasons squad. Tippy tappy football?? some call it. We are up to 12 players I believe so I hope the last few players we sign are going to have a real physical presence.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:09 am

86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:58 am
It’s interesting, listening to Danny at the forum he stated his teams would have an incredible work ethic. I imagined we would be signing strong athletic players who would work themselves into the ground. Rowe, JBA and Chislett aren’t those type of players.

Without being critical, from the players we have signed I see players who have talent but are very similar to last seasons squad. Tippy tappy football?? some call it. We are up to 12 players I believe so I hope the last few players we sign are going to have a real physical presence.
The team played the way they were coached by Waddock. I do agree though we need a couple of hard men.

WTF

Post by WTF » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:02 am

lanternhall wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:56 pm
Squad sounds good. We need a goalscorer.
Yes we do, big time!

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:37 am

I’m normally a glass half full person but the squad that Danny Searle is putting together looks very short on physical presence IMHO. A team can have all the ability in the world but if they can’t compete physically then those skills will be irrelevant.

Gary Waddock made the same mistake last season - he lost key players like Evans, Reynolds, Oyeleke and Kellerman and replaced them with players who couldn’t compete with the more physical sides in the National League, and those sides are becoming more prevalent. Injuries didn’t help but even so there was a distinct lack of physical presence in our squad last season. Too often other sides brushed our players off the ball too easily.

Successful sides have a strong spine to their team and especially in defence - where are the Ray Warburtons and Rhys Day’s in this season’s squad? We need players who can stand up and be counted.

I can remember the first away game last season where we lost 3-0 to Chesterfield - they just bullied us out of the game and that was a recurring theme throughout the season. There was plenty of ability in last season’s squad but it counts for nothing if you can’t win or keep the ball.

Danny Searle, like Waddock and James Rowe, has all the coaching badges but football is a very physical game, particularly at our level, and you have to have the players who will win the physical battles - I can’t see that in this squad I’m afraid. I hope I’m wrong...
COYS

TopShot

Post by TopShot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:55 am

As you can see from the transfer activity from other clubs most of the good or better players (on paper) at this level are being taken on two year contracts which is something we cannot offer.

This has quite possibly been the case for the past few seasons also.

Without the financial backing or the money generating in the close season we are unable to do this.

With the long lease, surely a massive game changer, we should, with the right people working on it, be able to become a self sustainable club where we can generate a year round steady income to be able to afford to offer this, still relying on the gate takings (so the entertainment factor doesn't dwindle) but to a lesser extent as now.

However this is years off and we can only do what we can presently afford.

I'd say mid-table is our financial level, who knows what is achievable on a playing level i'll wait to see what Danny and the team can do.

I believe promotion would be financially crippling without this income.

ACA

Post by ACA » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:57 am

To be fair, Oli O'Dwyer is 6'6" at centre back - quite an imposing presence, I would argue!

TopShot

Post by TopShot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:04 am

Just seen on the site that the team has been updated, the old players have gone but Fowler is still on there

Banbury Shot

Post by Banbury Shot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:26 am

I may be alone, but bring back the good old days when we turned up on a Tuesday and Saturday to support the team, had no idea what was going on behind the scenes, and just let the manager get on with it rather than analyse every detail of what we have/have not, might/might not do. It's all becoming incredibly tedious.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:26 am

That's because he has been offered a deal and not been transferred yet so technically he's our player