Squads taking shape

Post Reply
Charles Dickens
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:38 am
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Charles Dickens » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:37 am

I share your concern Mr Rust. We have so far a very small squad of mostly unknowns, but I accept that we have no idea how these new players will perform within a team. We had more choice last season, however, we are still missing at least two goalscoring strikers which was the Shots biggest weakness last season. At the moment we seem to be placing all our eggs into the manager`s top coaching skills basket to bring what most of us want, an exciting season.

Ancient Shot
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 pm
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Ancient Shot » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:39 pm

Have I been asleep for a month?

Is it August 3rd already?

HarryTom
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:18 pm
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by HarryTom » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:37 am
I share your concern Mr Rust. We have so far a very small squad of mostly unknowns, but I accept that we have no idea how these new players will perform within a team. We had more choice last season, however, we are still missing at least two goalscoring strikers which was the Shots biggest weakness last season. At the moment we seem to be placing all our eggs into the manager`s top coaching skills basket to bring what most of us want, an exciting season.
THERE IS STILL 4, YES, 4 WEEKS TO GO, sit down before you fall down, you are obviously wobbling a lot !!

Shots2000
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:11 am
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Shots2000 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Need a goal scorer badly. We won't be able to pay the wages of a Miller for example. Need to take a punt on some loanees. Like to see Callum Morton like some have suggested, potentially someone from Charlton as well or west ham?

Ancient Shot
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 pm
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Ancient Shot » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Dean Rance

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Ancient Shot wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:39 pm
Have I been asleep for a month?

Is it August 3rd already?
A political thread will help you sleep for another month!

Jimbob
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 am
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Jimbob » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Shots2000 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:42 pm
Need a goal scorer badly. We won't be able to pay the wages of a Miller for example. Need to take a punt on some loanees. Like to see Callum Morton like some have suggested, potentially someone from Charlton as well or west ham?
Make you right on all counts there. Seen on the non-league forum that Mullings has signed (although they've not given a source) if we play to his strengths he could score a few like Nathan blissett or Paul McCallum last season.

Zebroski also looked good today, gave us some trouble last season too but not sure he's the goalscorer we need.

TracoShot
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:46 pm
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by TracoShot » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Shamir Mullings has apparently signed but not official till 1st August.

Morrissey's Scorcher
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Location: Planet Zog
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Morrissey's Scorcher » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:38 pm

TracoShot wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:10 pm
Shamir Mullings has apparently signed but not official till 1st August.
Blimey a Google reveals he has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, and managed an awe inspiring 26 goals from 126 games, along with the equally goal shy Shields the race for Conf South looks to be well in reach.

80fc
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by 80fc » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Morrissey's Scorcher wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:38 pm
TracoShot wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:10 pm
Shamir Mullings has apparently signed but not official till 1st August.
Blimey a Google reveals he has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, and managed an awe inspiring 26 goals from 126 games, along with the equally goal shy Shields the race for Conf South looks to be well in reach.
Doug McClure looking better by the minute

86/87 Glory Year
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:54 pm
Location: Away End
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by 86/87 Glory Year » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:54 am

We don’t know if the Mullings signing is true but if it is a set of forwards consisting of JBA, Shields and Mullings based on goals scored is incredibly poor and worrying. That doesn’t mean these players wont be a success under Danny Searle cause that is possible also.

I find it surprising that at the fans forum the manager was talking about how he was speaking to goalscorers and quoting goal records and then signs these players. Also, made the point how much possession we had last season without putting the ball in the net. Certainly, came across well and knew his stuff.

He was very confident about his connections so I was kind of expecting to sign a highly rated forward from a club like Charlton or West Ham not good enough for the level they play at but a stint in the National League would be good for there development. ie when we signed Aiden O’Brien from Millwall who now is a first team regular.

I go back to Dean Saunders on BT Sport. He said when he was at Wrexham he said the centre forward is paid the most from your budget and you build your team around that. Then after that you get a centre half. Every other position is not that difficult to fill.

shotshammo
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:44 am
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by shotshammo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:20 am

May I suggest goalkeeper should be high on the list, we haven't had a commanding keeper in the box for quite a while.
It was interesting that one of the first things the Manager dealt with staff wise, was a Goalkeeping coach.
I can understand the delay when it comes to strikers, the gamble is getting someone who has been released and
1. Want's to restrict their travel.
2. Best deal for their level of skills, money wise
3. Join a club with a Manager that has the same ideals they have.
4. A club they feel they will be happy playing for.
How many of us have had well paid jobs we've hated, and thought is it worth it.

Alex
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:56 pm
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Alex » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:59 am

shotshammo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:20 am
May I suggest goalkeeper should be high on the list, we haven't had a commanding keeper in the box for quite a while
Is signing the decent and experienced Dover first choice keeper not good enough for you then :?: :o

Les Briley
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:37 pm
Location: Elsbels
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Les Briley » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 am

86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:54 am
We don’t know if the Mullings signing is true but if it is a set of forwards consisting of JBA, Shields and Mullings based on goals scored is incredibly poor and worrying. That doesn’t mean these players wont be a success under Danny Searle cause that is possible also.

I find it surprising that at the fans forum the manager was talking about how he was speaking to goalscorers and quoting goal records and then signs these players. Also, made the point how much possession we had last season without putting the ball in the net. Certainly, came across well and knew his stuff.

He was very confident about his connections so I was kind of expecting to sign a highly rated forward from a club like Charlton or West Ham not good enough for the level they play at but a stint in the National League would be good for there development. ie when we signed Aiden O’Brien from Millwall who now is a first team regular.

I go back to Dean Saunders on BT Sport. He said when he was at Wrexham he said the centre forward is paid the most from your budget and you build your team around that. Then after that you get a centre half. Every other position is not that difficult to fill.
I wouldn't take much notice of what Dean Saunders thinks, a poor manager, who sounds as thick as sh1t when he talks.

Alex
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:56 pm
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Alex » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:15 am

Agree

Awful pundit


Post Reply