Squads taking shape

HarryTom
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by HarryTom » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:21 pm

86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:13 pm
Oh you were being sarcastic! Mr positive

What about 1972? Was that a joke as well. Can’t keep up with your Wit Hazza..
Oh my day's, Apart from being negative, you really are a boring fellow are't you ! Now go put the kettle on and make yourself a nice cup of tea,
there's a good lad, because it's actually working, ! i'm starting to feel a wee bit tired

86/87 Glory Year

Post by 86/87 Glory Year » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:25 pm

HarryTom wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:21 pm
86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:13 pm
Oh you were being sarcastic! Mr positive

What about 1972? Was that a joke as well. Can’t keep up with your Wit Hazza..
Oh my day's, Apart from being negative, you really are a boring fellow are't you ! Now go put the kettle on and make yourself a nice cup of tea,
there's a good lad, because it's actually working, ! i'm starting to feel a wee bit tired
Funny, you should say that, as that is just what I have done.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:59 pm

HarryTom wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:36 pm
86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:24 pm
HarryTom wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:40 pm
Strongest squad we have had for a few seasons ( in my opinion ), Can't wait till the season kicks off. COYS !
I thought you started supporting the club fairly recently. Your debating skills aren’t up to much. Have you heard of Bobby Barnes?
Well aren't you a pleasant fellow, First of all, not that's it any of your business, iv'e been supporting the shots since 1972, secondly, if you think my debating skills are not up to much, well, that's your opinion which you are entitled to, and thirdly, have you heard of john Dungworth, Mr negative !!
Dungworth our best ever striker and played in my all time favourite shots team. He went to Shrewsbury and failed. Should have stayed with us.

Churtshot

Post by Churtshot » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:10 pm

Oops, thought this was an Aldershot fans forum, clearly mistaken, I'll look elsewhere!!

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Getting this thread back on topic, the recent signings have been very interesting. There’s a definite emphasis on youth, many of whom may have points to prove. In fact there are a lot of similarities with Gary Waddock’s title winning squad of 2007-08.

How many of you can recall the uncertainty when we started that season with so many unknown youngsters. Players like Anthony Straker, Lewis Chalmers, Scott Davies, Joel Grant, Jonny Dixon and Kirk Hudson were largely unknown to the majority of our supporters. Add in Louis Soares, Anthony Charles and Ben Harding who also had something to prove and you could be forgiven if you felt that GW may have put too much faith in youth.

However, he mixed that youth with some seasoned pros who provided the necessary qualities of strength and know how, players like Rhys Day, Ricky Newman, Rob Gier and John Grant. And of course we already had the best keeper in the Conference in Nikki Bull who GW reckoned was worth 20 goals in the goals against column.

My biggest concern with this season’s squad, if you compare them to the class of 2007-08, do we have the Rhys Day, Ricky Newman (who was so instrumental to the morale of the squad) and John Grant to provide that backbone? I think the present Conference is stronger and more physical now so it will be interesting to see how our youngsters shape up.

Please don’t think I’m being negative but last season showed how easily young players can be outmuscled against a lot of this league’s teams - I hope Danny Searle instils the same positive attitude in his players as GW did in 2007-08, which took everybody by surprise. Who knows but it may even bring back the smiles on the faces of Shots’ supporters.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Churtshot wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:10 pm
Oops, thought this was an Aldershot fans forum, clearly mistaken, I'll look elsewhere!!

Don't understand your post.

ians

Post by ians » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Zebroski trialled for Woking today now they are having the same conversations we had

aldershot-jg

Post by aldershot-jg » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:29 pm

Alan B wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 pm
Getting this thread back on topic, the recent signings have been very interesting. There’s a definite emphasis on youth, many of whom may have points to prove. In fact there are a lot of similarities with Gary Waddock’s title winning squad of 2007-08.

How many of you can recall the uncertainty when we started that season with so many unknown youngsters. Players like Anthony Straker, Lewis Chalmers, Scott Davies, Joel Grant, Jonny Dixon and Kirk Hudson were largely unknown to the majority of our supporters. Add in Louis Soares, Anthony Charles and Ben Harding who also had something to prove and you could be forgiven if you felt that GW may have put too much faith in youth.

However, he mixed that youth with some seasoned pros who provided the necessary qualities of strength and know how, players like Rhys Day, Ricky Newman, Rob Gier and John Grant. And of course we already had the best keeper in the Conference in Nikki Bull who GW reckoned was worth 20 goals in the goals against column.

My biggest concern with this season’s squad, if you compare them to the class of 2007-08, do we have the Rhys Day, Ricky Newman (who was so instrumental to the morale of the squad) and John Grant to provide that backbone? I think the present Conference is stronger and more physical now so it will be interesting to see how our youngsters shape up.

Please don’t think I’m being negative but last season showed how easily young players can be outmuscled against a lot of this league’s teams - I hope Danny Searle instils the same positive attitude in his players as GW did in 2007-08, which took everybody by surprise. Who knows but it may even bring back the smiles on the faces of Shots’ supporters.
Good post Alan and valid concerns, should Danny have tried to keep the likes of Cole, Elokobi, Gallagher and Rendell to help this new batch of players get the real feel of this club? Them being young doesn’t mean that they are physically weak, it already feels like a physically bigger team than last season, but they won’t have the experience and with experience comes intelligence, players that have learnt how to get away with things like the McNulty’s or the Rhead’s of this division, I hope Danny and the team are quick learners.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:45 pm

aldershot-jg wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:29 pm
Alan B wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 pm

should Danny have tried to keep the likes of Cole, Elokobi, Gallagher and Rendell to help this new batch of players get the real feel of this club?
1) he may have tried...

2) Cole, Gallagher and Rendell = no thanks!

Melbourne Red

Post by Melbourne Red » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:31 pm

Pretty pleased with these signings - I think Eyoma was quite good for Braintree, certainly played in some of the games where they got impressive results. Fowler was my favourite player in the games I went to at the start of the season and our terrible run of winless games did more or less coincide with his injury. He’s s proper old fashioned defender and could work quite well with a tall centre back like O’Dwyer.

I would guess this is now it for permanent signings, though we may still bring in a couple of loanees - including hopefully a young striker. I also kind of hope we’ve held a little money back in case someone really good becomes available once the football league transfer window closes (which is early this year).

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:28 am

To refer back to Alan B in an earlier post. Agree that this season mix of youth & experience. Very important player Ricky Newman was.

Joined Aldershot on a free from Brentford the season before the Conference title was won. Hugely influential as you say. Players like that can be hard to find, but worth their weight in gold.

A striker like John Grant no one had really heard of when he signed, mind you the same could be said many years earlier of John Dungworth. He joined on a free transfer from Oldham Athletic!

There`s a diamond out there somewhere.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:35 am

I decided to refer back to Charlie Oliver’s excellent book ‘The Shots are back’ last night and apologise for failing to mention some other young players who played their part that year - Rob Elvins scored some important goals and our own Dave Winfield and Danny Hilton provided important cover to the team too. Scott Donnelly came along later but scored that precious goal at Exeter and started to look a player for the future.

For me, the player of the season was one of the older players, John Grant. His 25 goals in all competitions were so crucial and a lovely unassuming bloke too - how we could do with someone like him now...

COYS

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:46 am

Rob Elvins :lol: will go down as one of the worst players to wear the shirt.

Grant had a great season 07/08 but was a one off and found out in League 2.

Ray Warburton - now there was a REAL pro!

Mick Earls Fan Club

Post by Mick Earls Fan Club » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:28 am

redandbluescb wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:27 pm
MITCH WALKER
AARON EYOMA
ROBBIE TINKLER
KODI LYONS FOSTER
OLIVER ODWYER
GEORGE FOWLER
ALEX FINNEY
LEWIS KINSELLA
ALFY WHITTINGHAM
DEAN RANCE
JAMES ROWE
ETHAN CHISLETT
ALEFE SANTOS
JACOB BERKLEY AGYEPONG
CONNOR SHIELDS
SHAMIR MULLINGS 1.8.19.
HARRISON PANAYIOTOU

NICKY DEVERDICS TRIALLIST

ANTHONY JEFFREY TRIALLIST
Too many midfielders of the same type. Luxury/lightweights.
Need more aggression in the centre of the park.

And the elusive 20+ goal scorer up top of course.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:27 am

Oliver11 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:46 am
Rob Elvins :lol: will go down as one of the worst players to wear the shirt
👍🏻