Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post Reply
80fc
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by 80fc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:28 pm

Luke 17 v4

Richard Petty
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:52 pm

80fc wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:28 pm
Luke 17 v4
I have mulled this over since it was first mentioned and whilst I have reservations I think as you suggest 80fc Luke was right in principle however for me not in perpetuity as Luke has written.

As has been suggested on here a solid contract with a release clause based on any future charges or any other activities that may bring the club into disrepute would be essential. This of course assumes that the manager actually sees in him the potential to score goals and to fit in well with the rest of the team.

Birdman
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by Birdman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:54 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:52 pm
80fc wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:28 pm
Luke 17 v4
I have mulled this over since it was first mentioned and whilst I have reservations I think as you suggest 80fc Luke was right in principle however for me not in perpetuity as Luke was suggesting.

As has been suggested on here a solid contract with a release clause based on any future charges or any other activities that may bring the club into disrepute would be essential. This of course assumes that the manager actually sees in him the potential to score goals and to fit in well with the rest of the team.
(Blasphemy moment) What verse is that in? 😉

Richard Petty
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:04 pm

It was a bit at the end of the sermon on the mount Birdie, not many people heard it as most had gone home by then.

You know Peter only became a fisherman because he misheard being told how important it was to get it in the net

Shots1954
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:31 pm
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by Shots1954 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:12 pm

TopShot wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:38 am
Think we are going off on a tangent on this one. As far as I am aware he is not convicted for this nor are any of our players.

Yes by the sounds of things he has a bit of a reputation outside of the game.

As far as I am aware the club employs players to play football and train whether that be 9-5 or whatever their timetable is.

Outside of work their time is their own, yes if anything is a bit extreme and affects the club i would assume action would be taken, likewise if their day to day life outside of football affects their "work" then again something would be done.

If players have reputations i would think that contracts would be written in such a way to remove said player.
But as I understand it he was convicted of an assault of a Soldier and we are Home of the British Army. Does that run parellel with our Community standing ? And that of being a Community Club? Just asking.

Richard Petty
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:23 pm

Its easy to judge what's right and what's wrong in his previous actions they were 100% wrong and there is no excuse for what he did.

The tricky bit (and I agree it is very tricky) is whether you apply the principle that everyone deserves a chance or not in this instance. If this was a normal job then it would be easy to say yes give him the chance but being a footballer is partly being held up as a role model so I can fully understand why some might have an issue with him. To be honest my initial reaction back on Saturday when he was first mentioned on here was "No" but I have mellowed a little since then and my more charitable side has won me over.

Shots1954
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:31 pm
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by Shots1954 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:23 pm
Its easy to judge what's right and what's wrong in his previous actions they were 100% wrong and there is no excuse for what he did.

The tricky bit (and I agree it is very tricky) is whether you apply the principle that everyone deserves a chance or not in this instance. If this was a normal job then it would be easy to say yes give him the chance but being a footballer is partly being held up as a role model so I can fully understand why some might have an issue with him. To be honest my initial reaction back on Saturday when he was first mentioned on here was "No" but I have mellowed a little since then and my more charitable side has won me over.
I have a charitable side too and im sorry I can't get it out of my head the Army/Shots link Community wise. Or is it just me?

redandbluescb
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 9:29 pm
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by redandbluescb » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 pm

We have been turned down by so many centre forwards this pre season we might well have to take what we can get.
Mullings is a very good target man who was scoring for fun a couple of years ago for Chelmsford.
Zebroski works hard and wont get bullied by big centre halves. I would prefer to start with those two than Rendell and Mclure.

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by Anon E Mouse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm

redandbluescb wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 pm
We have been turned down by so many centre forwards this pre season we might well have to take what we can get.
Mullings is a very good target man who was scoring for fun a couple of years ago for Chelmsford.
Zebroski works hard and wont get bullied by big centre halves. I would prefer to start with those two than Rendell and Mclure.
Out of interest which strikers have turned us down ?

Mytshot
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: Mytchett
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by Mytshot » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:04 pm

If convicted criminals aren’t allowed or are unable to find work because of previous convictions then the alternative is our taxes going towards their benefits. If people are happy for their hard earned cash to go towards the upkeep of former criminals then that’s fine. I know what I’d rather they were doing.

Norwich Nick
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Wymondham, Norfolk
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by Norwich Nick » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:23 pm
Its easy to judge what's right and what's wrong in his previous actions they were 100% wrong and there is no excuse for what he did.

The tricky bit (and I agree it is very tricky) is whether you apply the principle that everyone deserves a chance or not in this instance. If this was a normal job then it would be easy to say yes give him the chance but being a footballer is partly being held up as a role model so I can fully understand why some might have an issue with him. To be honest my initial reaction back on Saturday when he was first mentioned on here was "No" but I have mellowed a little since then and my more charitable side has won me over.
Richard, I don't disagree with what you're saying, the only bit I would slightly question is the extent to which a professional footballer playing in the 5th tier of English football can really be said to be role model?

I get that the overpaid Premier League prima donnas would be described as such, but do very many of the younger generation (saying that makes me feel quite old!) really look at our players, or those of any NL side, and say to themselves "that's what I want to be doing one day?" If they have aspirations to play at this level, it'll be largely because it would be seen as a stepping stone rather than an end in itself.

redandbluescb
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 9:29 pm
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by redandbluescb » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm
redandbluescb wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 pm
We have been turned down by so many centre forwards this pre season we might well have to take what we can get.
Mullings is a very good target man who was scoring for fun a couple of years ago for Chelmsford.
Zebroski works hard and wont get bullied by big centre halves. I would prefer to start with those two than Rendell and Mclure.
Out of interest which strikers have turned us down ?
3 that scored 120 goals between them for starters.

SW Shot
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Somerset
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by SW Shot » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:38 pm

redandbluescb wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:28 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm
redandbluescb wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 pm
We have been turned down by so many centre forwards this pre season we might well have to take what we can get.
Mullings is a very good target man who was scoring for fun a couple of years ago for Chelmsford.
Zebroski works hard and wont get bullied by big centre halves. I would prefer to start with those two than Rendell and Mclure.
Out of interest which strikers have turned us down ?
3 that scored 120 goals between them for starters.
Shaun Okojie scored 40-odd the season before he came to us and was completely out of his depth. Would rather have strikers that have played at this level, that have a presence - at this level for every Jamie Vardy, there’s 10 Shaun Okojie’s.

Richard Petty
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:41 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 pm
Richard Petty wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:23 pm
Its easy to judge what's right and what's wrong in his previous actions they were 100% wrong and there is no excuse for what he did.

The tricky bit (and I agree it is very tricky) is whether you apply the principle that everyone deserves a chance or not in this instance. If this was a normal job then it would be easy to say yes give him the chance but being a footballer is partly being held up as a role model so I can fully understand why some might have an issue with him. To be honest my initial reaction back on Saturday when he was first mentioned on here was "No" but I have mellowed a little since then and my more charitable side has won me over.
I have a charitable side too and im sorry I can't get it out of my head the Army/Shots link Community wise. Or is it just me?
100% respect your doubts Shots 1954, as I said in my post it is tricky

86/87 Glory Year
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:54 pm
Location: Away End
Re: Matchday Thread v BADSHOT LEA

Post by 86/87 Glory Year » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Danny Searle quote at the forum:


Part 1 - 7 minutes in ( Have a look again what he is saying)

“ Us three have got very good connections at academy level. I don’t mean to sound arrogant but we will be at the top end of the market not the token gestures”

I really hope we can bring in a young hungry striker from a team like Charlton where Danny Searle is suppose to have good connections. I mention Charlton as an example because the fact they have been promoted to the Championship will make it harder for there young players to break through to the first team immediately and a good spell in the National League will do them the world of good. Signing forwards from lower divisions rarely works unless your name is John Still. He has been a genius at that over the years. Don’t see to many managers able to match that. Some of these u23s can be real gems. Osho was great last season and was developing well until he got called back. Scott Davies in his first spell was unbelievable. We need a GOALSCORER..


Post Reply