Eton

Dom Sterlings Left Leg
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:00 pm
Re: Eton

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 am

Cph.shots wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:59 am
Richard Petty wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 am
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:29 am
We should all be terrified of him, but hes just a useful idiot. The real danger lies with that real nasty bit of work that would be chancellor
Now that's a very good observation
It's not an "observation", it's a blinkered opinion courtesy of the daily mail.
Not that you would know anything about me but i can advise you i have never brought a copy of the daily mail in my life i dont read it and never have done so you can park your lazy insinuations.

I form my opinion on mcDonnell simply by opening my ears when he speaks. The bloke is worrying to put it kindly.

GuyB
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:54 pm
Contact:
Re: Eton

Post by GuyB » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:02 pm

Going back to an earlier part of this thread . . .

I had the privilege of spending seven years at a public school. My parents made a number of sacrifices to enable me to go. The school itself had (and still does have) a Foundation, which pays for nearly one third of the pupils at the school to attend from broken homes, underprivileged backgrounds, care home etc.

What that did was provide a really good mix of people, not only in terms of background, but also geographically.

Forty years since my peer group left the school, we continue to be in regular contact, nowadays via a WhatsApp group, Facebook or in person. Indeed 30 of us met up for a weekend away recently, and are doing so again in the autumn.

Between us there is a diversity of political beliefs, employment, shapes and sizes. One thing we all enjoy is a special bond from our seven years together, allied to the many years our togetherness has grown since.

I hope I have made the best of my paid-for education by creating a business and giving employment to a good many people. I do know that two of my friends, who came from care homes in the North-East, have also gone on to good business careers and created their own foundations to provide a boost to children who have had unfortunate starts in life.

On the political front, I do tend to lean a little more to the right, but am quick to admit that there are good ideas across the political spectrum, and I certainly embrace a social conscience. However, our politicians seem incapable of giving credit to another party's good ideas - or even to say, thank you for that suggestion, we will take it on board and make the best of it. In short, my view is that in political loife there is a major lack of maturity and far more thinking of number one and scoring points rather than trying to see the bigger picture.

Apologies for a lengthy post.

Birdman
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
Location: Aldershot
Re: Eton

Post by Birdman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:17 pm

GuyB wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:02 pm
Going back to an earlier part of this thread . . .

I had the privilege of spending seven years at a public school. My parents made a number of sacrifices to enable me to go. The school itself had (and still does have) a Foundation, which pays for nearly one third of the pupils at the school to attend from broken homes, underprivileged backgrounds, care home etc.

What that did was provide a really good mix of people, not only in terms of background, but also geographically.

Forty years since my peer group left the school, we continue to be in regular contact, nowadays via a WhatsApp group, Facebook or in person. Indeed 30 of us met up for a weekend away recently, and are doing so again in the autumn.

Between us there is a diversity of political beliefs, employment, shapes and sizes. One thing we all enjoy is a special bond from our seven years together, allied to the many years our togetherness has grown since.

I hope I have made the best of my paid-for education by creating a business and giving employment to a good many people. I do know that two of my friends, who came from care homes in the North-East, have also gone on to good business careers and created their own foundations to provide a boost to children who have had unfortunate starts in life.

On the political front, I do tend to lean a little more to the right, but am quick to admit that there are good ideas across the political spectrum, and I certainly embrace a social conscience. However, our politicians seem incapable of giving credit to another party's good ideas - or even to say, thank you for that suggestion, we will take it on board and make the best of it. In short, my view is that in political loife there is a major lack of maturity and far more thinking of number one and scoring points rather than trying to see the bigger picture.

Apologies for a lengthy post.
Nicely put, Mr B. Nowt that I can really disagree with. No one party has all the good ideas.

Cph.shots
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Eton

Post by Cph.shots » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 am
Ian M wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:13 am
lanternhall wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:17 pm
We will have Boris as next p.m. because a handful of Tory party members will vote him in. Democracy at it's best.

Party Members voting who they want as their Party Leader?? Crikey, what an outrage!

...it's the same regardless of who in in power.... so the issue is at what point should that be ratified by a GE. (Bit like the Labour lot who chnaged Party, but refused to call Bye Election)

Or doesnt that count either?
100% agree with you there. Anyone who changes party should trigger a By Election because they are no longer representing their constituents on the manifesto that that they were elected on.
Just realised I replied to the wrong person there, sorry Richard, it should have been directed at Ian M.

Charles Dickens
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:38 am
Re: Eton

Post by Charles Dickens » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:46 pm

It`s funny how when people don`t like any political election result, they want to change to another system that may get the result they prefer. The classic case is the referendum democratic vote which the establishment and remainers are still trying to overturn.

Corbyn and the shadow chancellor are just a small part of the Momentum grip on the Labour Party and the real danger is a Party that wants to establish a communist state, something that the Labour party has never signed up for in my lifetime.

However, if voters want the consequences of such a Labour government and win at the ballot box so be it.

Richard, the Labour MPs that you admire, should join the Liberal Party or the Green Party, as their views would fit in nicely with the soft centre and EU Remainers.

ians
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: Eton

Post by ians » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:46 pm
It`s funny how when people don`t like any political election result, they want to change to another system that may get the result they prefer. The classic case is the referendum democratic vote which the establishment and remainers are still trying to overturn.

Corbyn and the shadow chancellor are just a small part of the Momentum grip on the Labour Party and the real danger is a Party that wants to establish a communist state, something that the Labour party has never signed up for in my lifetime.

However, if voters want the consequences of such a Labour government and win at the ballot box so be it.

Richard, the Labour MPs that you admire, should join the Liberal Party or the Green Party, as their views would fit in nicely with the soft centre and EU Remainers.
I along with the rest of you have lived most of my life under majority governments (many with huge majorities), that had no more than around 40% of the vote. We have 900 House of Lords that are un-elected and taking £300 expenses a day for doing noting in many cases. The to finish off we still have a monarchy which is incredibly antiquated and only goes to support the idea of the class system!

But lets get out of the EU as they are so undemocratic! :roll:

Richard Petty
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: Eton

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:46 pm
It`s funny how when people don`t like any political election result, they want to change to another system that may get the result they prefer. The classic case is the referendum democratic vote which the establishment and remainers are still trying to overturn.

Corbyn and the shadow chancellor are just a small part of the Momentum grip on the Labour Party and the real danger is a Party that wants to establish a communist state, something that the Labour party has never signed up for in my lifetime.

However, if voters want the consequences of such a Labour government and win at the ballot box so be it.

Richard, the Labour MPs that you admire, should join the Liberal Party or the Green Party, as their views would fit in nicely with the soft centre and EU Remainers.
Apologies for splitting hairs but I did say respect not admire, its only a subtle difference but its a difference all the same. I am not sure that they would fit with the Lib Dems or the Greens to be honest but that's just an opinion.

Cph.shots
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Eton

Post by Cph.shots » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:29 pm

ians wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:09 pm
Charles Dickens wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:46 pm
It`s funny how when people don`t like any political election result, they want to change to another system that may get the result they prefer. The classic case is the referendum democratic vote which the establishment and remainers are still trying to overturn.

Corbyn and the shadow chancellor are just a small part of the Momentum grip on the Labour Party and the real danger is a Party that wants to establish a communist state, something that the Labour party has never signed up for in my lifetime.

However, if voters want the consequences of such a Labour government and win at the ballot box so be it.

Richard, the Labour MPs that you admire, should join the Liberal Party or the Green Party, as their views would fit in nicely with the soft centre and EU Remainers.
I along with the rest of you have lived most of my life under majority governments (many with huge majorities), that had no more than around 40% of the vote. We have 900 House of Lords that are un-elected and taking £300 expenses a day for doing noting in many cases. The to finish off we still have a monarchy which is incredibly antiquated and only goes to support the idea of the class system!

But lets get out of the EU as they are so undemocratic! :roll:

Spot on Ian, although it does seem that there under 700 in the house of lords theses days but by far the majority are hereditary and white males.

lanternhall
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: Eton

Post by lanternhall » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:14 pm

GuyB wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:02 pm
Going back to an earlier part of this thread . . .

I had the privilege of spending seven years at a public school. My parents made a number of sacrifices to enable me to go. The school itself had (and still does have) a Foundation, which pays for nearly one third of the pupils at the school to attend from broken homes, underprivileged backgrounds, care home etc.

What that did was provide a really good mix of people, not only in terms of background, but also geographically.

Forty years since my peer group left the school, we continue to be in regular contact, nowadays via a WhatsApp group, Facebook or in person. Indeed 30 of us met up for a weekend away recently, and are doing so again in the autumn.

Between us there is a diversity of political beliefs, employment, shapes and sizes. One thing we all enjoy is a special bond from our seven years together, allied to the many years our togetherness has grown since.

I hope I have made the best of my paid-for education by creating a business and giving employment to a good many people. I do know that two of my friends, who came from care homes in the North-East, have also gone on to good business careers and created their own foundations to provide a boost to children who have had unfortunate starts in life.

On the political front, I do tend to lean a little more to the right, but am quick to admit that there are good ideas across the political spectrum, and I certainly embrace a social conscience. However, our politicians seem incapable of giving credit to another party's good ideas - or even to say, thank you for that suggestion, we will take it on board and make the best of it. In short, my view is that in political loife there is a major lack of maturity and far more thinking of number one and scoring points rather than trying to see the bigger picture.

Apologies for a lengthy post.
Fair play. You're parents made sacrifices to send you to public school. Unfortunately a single parent or parents on a minimum wage cannot afford to do that.
Yes agreed schools do have foundations to pay for academically bright pupils from broken homes but it is not available to all children.
My problem with private education is simple. If parents have the money, they buy privalage . You can be as thick as a plank yet go to public school.

No offence to yourself but by their sacrifice your parents brought you a privalleged, private education that is not offered to all children.

Lazio
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 pm
Re: Eton

Post by Lazio » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:13 pm

I can't blame anyone for sending their children to public school as the state system is so inept. I have worked with a number of people from Africa and the Caribbean who began their working lives in this country as teachers, and they all left the profession in this country because they were shocked by the classroom behaviour of the pupils. That is not the fault of any financial issues but the fault of the parents and schools. It is easy to see why many African and Caribbean parents send their children back to their own countries to be educated.

GuyB
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:54 pm
Contact:
Re: Eton

Post by GuyB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 am

[/quote]

Fair play. You're parents made sacrifices to send you to public school. Unfortunately a single parent or parents on a minimum wage cannot afford to do that.
Yes agreed schools do have foundations to pay for academically bright pupils from broken homes but it is not available to all children.
My problem with private education is simple. If parents have the money, they buy privalage . You can be as thick as a plank yet go to public school.

No offence to yourself but by their sacrifice your parents brought you a privalleged, private education that is not offered to all children.
[/quote]


Your make a perfectly understandable point. However, as desirable as an all-equal world would be, in reality it is never going to happen.

We have opposite views, both equally valid, but also, one common factor - Up The Shots!

lanternhall
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: Eton

Post by lanternhall » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 am

Good post. Up the shots!


Post Reply