Falling Further Behind ?

Charles Dickens
Re: Falling Further Behind ?

Post by Charles Dickens » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 am

Ancient Shot wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:55 pm
hepcat wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:16 pm
I'm no good at links ; www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yupdx2suyM was what was on the vlog I watched. it featured proposed /being built non league stadiums and it makes it patently obvious how far we are and will be lagging behind if the Rec just carries on as it is. We're way over reliant on gate income and-bar the dwindling hard core faithful-less and less people are encouraged to come; it's a serious downward spiral. (stay aways would cite the Rec non redevelopment as a further sign of "Lack of ambition") Unfair maybe, but we cant stand still . What actually is down in writing that or in motion that redevelopment will take place and what's the time schedule ? Workington -the lowest placed ex league club that has never had to reform (and one we seem to be unnervingly twinning ourselves with) have set proposals for an excellent and ambitious stadium (to be shared with the more successful Rugby side) We're nowhere near that (or any of the others in the vlog). Last season was a disaster averted only by Gateshead's misfortune; but it exposed all the problems the club has if it has any hopes of regaining league status.
Yeah get yer finger out "club" we've had that lease for weeks! :roll:

Have you been festering with that attitude ever since?

Non - development? Trust me, it'll be 18 months before a spade hits the ground. There are A LOT of jobsworths in these authorities you have to negotiate through who will put as many hurdles in your way as they can - and only because they can

Patience puss!
This sounds like another Brexit thread.

Bullys Fingertips

Post by Bullys Fingertips » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:23 am

Bathgateshots wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:09 am
Richard,

Your post hit the nail on the head. The loyal hardcore will keep coming no matter what, attracting new fans and keeping them coming back is the hard part for us and impossible with the Rec as it is. Take Chesterfield (now in our division of course), their new ground saw crowds rise from 2-2,500 at the old Saltergate to 6-7,000 at their new ground while on the pitch they didn't exactly set the world alight. Although mismanagement has seen them tumble a couple of divisions, even last year I think they still averaged 3,500 during an awful season for them (and still some 1,000-1,500 more than their old average in a decaying stadium). It shows that by and large new stadia attracts new fans.

I'm trying to think of any club where a new stadium has seen crowds fall or not produce more much needed match day revenue.
i dont think one example shows anything! that could be down to any number of things.The long and the short of it is win games,crowds will rise.

Red-n-Blue

Post by Red-n-Blue » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am

Bullys Fingertips wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:23 am
i dont think one example shows anything! that could be down to any number of things.The long and the short of it is win games,crowds will rise.
And how do you win games if you don't have a competitive budget in the first place? It's a short-term, unsustainable model to rely on gate money alone, as we've found out to our cost several times.

Bullys Fingertips

Post by Bullys Fingertips » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:53 am

Red-n-Blue wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am
Bullys Fingertips wrote:
And how do you win games if you don't have a competitive budget in the first place? It's a short-term, unsustainable model to rely on gate money alone, as we've found out to our cost several times.
A fair few clubs thought a new ground was the answer darlington and rushden and diamonds to name a few, look how that ended up. how do you know our budget isnt competitive? we got in the play offs two years in a row so it cant of been that bad?

TopShot

Post by TopShot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:09 am

We all know what is needed and it wont happen overnight.

Now we have a new long lease that gives us access to the first stepping stone.

An investor is the next step, a development company or someone who knows this area who can see the potential and work alongside the board.

A developer (depending what they are allowed to build on the land) would have no objection to building a football stadium as part of the deal as long as they can make enough profit on the site.

We need a club that has facilities that allows it to make money all year round, whether it be restaurants, sports, bars, or something that would draw people in from around the wider area, whatever it needs to make people will visit and spend money.

The next few years will be interesting

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Bullys Fingertips wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:53 am
Red-n-Blue wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am
Bullys Fingertips wrote:
A fair few clubs thought a new ground was the answer darlington and rushden and diamonds to name a few, look how that ended up. how do you know our budget isnt competitive? we got in the play offs two years in a row so it cant of been that bad?
Darlingtons was to big for them, building a 25,000 capacity stadium with their average attendances wasn't a smart move, Rushden's Nene Park should have been ok as their capacity was less than 7,000. The one thing that both. those clubs have in common though is that their stadiums were built by the clubs using their own money with no attached developments to cover the cost and certainly in Darlingtons case using borrowed money.

CH

Post by CH » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm

We missed out big time in the 90's when a lot of 3rd/4th division clubs were helped to massively upgrade their stadiums following the Hillsborough disaster. Instead of cashing in on the Fa's plans to make stadiums safer, we were the forgotten party languishing in the Isthmian. It was very obvious just how far we had fallen behind in 2008 when we entered league 2 and visited places that had changed beyond all recognition since our last visits in the 80's/early 90's

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 pm

I blame Azeem

ACA

Post by ACA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:10 pm

Northstandmoaner, Shots1954, mountpleasant et al will be along to agree with you shortly :wink:

TopShot

Post by TopShot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:35 pm

I believe Alex's post was a little tongue in cheek? but its going to get a lot of people fired up

mountpleasant61

Post by mountpleasant61 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:26 pm

To ACA Up yours, we don't have to say anything most know.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:04 pm

mountpleasant61 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:26 pm
To ACA Up yours, we don't have to say anything most know.
My level of intrigue has risen from 0 to 1. What do ‘most’ know?

Nth stand moaner

Post by Nth stand moaner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Come in the nth stand. ,east terrace Saturday and meet a lot of very nice gentlemen that can see exactly what Azeem is up to. Bring your hero with you, and the other sycophants .

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm

🙄

mountpleasant61

Post by mountpleasant61 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 am

Birdman.
Either your head is in the sand or wherever else you would like to put it.
Failing that you are showing your ignorance.