O/T Football fun on the Isle of Wight!

Fuggletim
O/T Football fun on the Isle of Wight!

Post by Fuggletim » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 pm

I an frequently over on the Island, and whenever possible I try to take in a football match over there. Last night I went to see Ryde Saints play Brading Town at the Smallbrook Stadium just outside Ryde. The KO was scheduled for 18:00 but was delayed as the Referee didn't arrive until 18:20 having been caught in traffic!

Half Time was therefore reduced to 5 x minutes as they wanted to finish without putting the floodlights on! Got to say the last 5 x minutes was getting a struggle to see!

World away from the Premier League and even the Conference!

Still it was free admission and for that you saw Brading win 6-3!

Shot By Both Sides
Re: O/T Football fun on the Isle of Wight!

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:47 pm

I thought O/T meant old timers for some reason - in this context, what does O/T stand for?

PAUL BLUNDELL

Post by PAUL BLUNDELL » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Proper good entertaining footie. And i bet you enjoyed it too. Thanks for the insight, Paul.

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 pm
I an frequently over on the Island, and whenever possible I try to take in a football match over there. Last night I went to see Ryde Saints play Brading Town at the Smallbrook Stadium just outside Ryde. The KO was scheduled for 18:00 but was delayed as the Referee didn't arrive until 18:20 having been caught in traffic!

Half Time was therefore reduced to 5 x minutes as they wanted to finish without putting the floodlights on! Got to say the last 5 x minutes was getting a struggle to see!

World away from the Premier League and even the Conference!

Still it was free admission and for that you saw Brading win 6-3!
Good start to the season for Brading Town. Only other team on the island able to challenge is Whitecroft and Barton Sports

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:04 pm

Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:47 pm
I thought O/T meant old timers for some reason - in this context, what does O/T stand for?
Off topic I think or other

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:57 am

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:04 pm
Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:47 pm
Off topic I think or other
That'll be it, cheers Postie.

MikeO

Post by MikeO » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:23 am

Your post brought back memories Tim when I played for a mainland side against Brading, when they were a real force in the Hampshire league. We got trounced and my performance in goal was at best poor! ⚽️

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 am

My goalkeeping career was tragically cut short by an appallingly bad lack of ability!

Mike, I presumes that game was at Vicarage Lane (latterley the "Peter Henry Ground)?"

Got to say the game on Monday at Ryde was an enjoyable evening and it is a pleasure to watch 2 x footballing sides play a competitive game and play it because they want to and not because they are being paid £300k a week!

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:09 am

Fuggletim wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 am
My goalkeeping career was tragically cut short by an appallingly bad lack of ability!

Mike, I presumes that game was at Vicarage Lane (latterley the "Peter Henry Ground)?"

Got to say the game on Monday at Ryde was an enjoyable evening and it is a pleasure to watch 2 x footballing sides play a competitive game and play it because they want to and not because they are being paid £300k a week!
Brilliant :lol:

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:37 am

For those amongts us who are football anoraks

https://www.iowdfa.org.uk/saturday_league_tables.html

MikeO

Post by MikeO » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:38 am

All I can remember that it was a picturesque ground Tim, but very windy on the day of the game!

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:58 pm

MikeO wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:38 am
All I can remember that it was a picturesque ground Tim, but very windy on the day of the game!
Sounds like a Vicarage Lane! Lovely view up over to Culver Down, and if the football gets dull, you can always watch the trains go by!

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:49 pm

Many happy days of football on the island ,visited lots of grounds some sadly gone . Church litten , Newport in my top 10 grounds ,Ryde Sports another classic ,East Cowes with wooden seated stand behind the goal now sadly gone .Sandown on the Fairway with Grandstand . So many decent grounds

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:33 pm

Done a lot of football over the years on the Island. The best ground I felt was Newport (not sure how the Asda development if affecting this, as, although I am regularly over the Island, I haven't been into Newport for a year or so now.

The most picturesque ground I think is Brading Town's Vicarage Lane (Peter Henry Ground). I would love to see them back in the Wessex League again!

Wakefield Shots

Post by Wakefield Shots » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:02 am

Fuggletim wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 am
I can testify to that :lol: We'll not talk about my tactic of breaking the crossbar when I was in goal though. It made the goal smaller and more difficult for the opposition to score! :lol:

I go to a lot of non league games up here when not watching the Shots. My favourite place is Emley. Very friendly club, with own weather climate being on top of a hill! Going to Liversedge versus Stockton in the FA Cup today, but will be at Stockport next week.