Match Day Thread vs BARROW

Anon E Mouse
Re: Match Day Thread vs BARROW

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:37 am

CH wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:15 am
So Danny thought Barrow were "the probably the best footballing side we've seen this season"...

I certainly didnt
I actually agree. Best side i’ve Seen. Passed well, full of effort, no usual Barrow hacking. But boy did we make it easy for them.
Plus their Bald Captain was an expert at getting tackled / fouled on the legs and going down dramatically holding his head. Perfected it.

bordon shot

Post by bordon shot » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:45 am

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:37 am
CH wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:15 am
So Danny thought Barrow were "the probably the best footballing side we've seen this season"...

I certainly didnt
I actually agree. Best side i’ve Seen. Passed well, full of effort, no usual Barrow hacking. But boy did we make it easy for them.
Plus their Bald Captain was an expert at getting tackled / fouled on the legs and going down dramatically holding his head. Perfected it.
Me and my mate both agreed they were a good side, their number 8 was their standout player in my opinion.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:49 am

Number 4 in the middle of the park won everything.

Don’t think we’ve had a midfield general since Steve Watson!

I expected much more from Rance than I’ve seen so far...

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:00 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:22 pm
After last season which it has to be said was hard work for us as supporters we are so fearful of a repeat of last season that its clear Danny isn't being given the time and patience that a manager would normally get, its an understandable emotion but I do still believe as I said after the Torquay game that its still a bit too soon to be getting on the managers back. He had a difficult start with having to sign players who were also prepared to play in NLS which limited his choices plus we do also have some key players out with injuries which is like last season having an affect. Having said that our choices were limited its also fair to say that there are still a good number of players in our squad who are decent players for this level and who have shown that quality in other games, they just need to get the consistency and all show their quality at the same time rather than individually in different games.
I often read your comments Richard and it has a calming effect on me ................... Not today though Fella !!! I refuse to buy into had to sign players with back burner of NLS in mind ........... this squad would NOT be competitive in NLS either. Danny has simply been found out with not having the experience, contacts or in the know agents, his choice of player he could call upon is very limiting and his pre season sermon of looking at goal scorers capable of bagging onion bags of goals was a tadge OTT looking at what's on show currently.

Don't get me wrong, I can see fans still giving him time as can I see the BOD doing the same ...... but he's lost me and unless results improve rapidly it'll be only you and the BOD thinking end of November fine. Fan's patience I believe fast runs out given what the Club has seen in last two seasons, I certainly did not hear one bit of pro talk walking out of ground today saying things gonna be fine.
Fair comment Dr Jim, and your point about the last two seasons (do you mean two or are you including this season ?) is along the same lines that I was getting at and has shortened the time that people are prepared to give players and management. I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone that has reached "glass empty" because everyone has a different tolerance level. I havn't reached empty yet because I am remembering some of the positives that we have seen in previous games that give me hope that we can still turn things round but don't misunderstand my patience with blind belief because I havn't got that. We are in trouble and any recovery has to come quickly if we are to save the season, we wont be able to rely on the AGM cup again so survival has to be on the pitch.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:13 pm

MidlandsShot

Post by MidlandsShot » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 pm

That was very poor. Barrow were by far the better team and seemed comfortbale moving the ball about. Our midfield were absent while the defence put in some vital blocks but you have to question how Barrow were able to create so many good opportunities.

I liked the switch to three at the back as it allows us to get two up top and keep three in midfield. However Tinkler often disappeared into the middle which meant we struggled for width, while the new guy from Derby struggled and looked at fault for the second goal.

I thought Shields was one of our better players as most of our forward play came through him, but it was a poor penalty and he hesitated far too long on the rebound. Mullings was poor but I do think we require him to do too much defensive work and win the ball at throw ins which means he can't get into the box when we need him to. The new striker looked sharp and busy and I hope he starts at Stockport.

We would have been very lucky to have snatched a draw. The officials took a very long time before disallowing their goal and it seemed like they were pressured into making that decision. The penalty also looked very soft.

This all said, it's far too early to be calling for Danny's head. I know we gave Waddock too long, but Maidstone sacked Saunders too early and look what happened. New manager and new squad need time to gel, but they have to learn from days like this.

For those having a pop at the board, there's a football club in Bury that got promoted last season spending money that they didn't have. I wonder how they're getting on now?

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:47 pm

MidlandsShot wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 pm
For those having a pop at the board, there's a football club in Bury that got promoted last season spending money that they didn't have. I wonder how they're getting on now?
You could easily argue that there is a football club in Aldershot that spent money it didnt have in recent seasons trying to get promoted.... We dont need to wonder how they are getting on now.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:50 pm

Thanks for that Alex.

Watch Danny's face at the end. That was a face of a man who is out of his depth.

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:56 pm

Well Midlands Shot, I feel that fans need something to reach out and get excited about - sad to say I feel that my prediction of finishing 17th is looking rather optimistic!

I take the point you make about Bury FC getting promoted - spending money they did not have it would appear. However, regarding ATFC the situation remains that attendances are dwindling, and unless the BoD do something decisive we could find ourselves up the creek without a paddle - if not already.

I don`t feel at all optimistic at this present moment in time. We shall see how things pan out. Relegation will, I fear see Shots fall into the backwaters like Workington, never to be heard of again.

Sorry to be a doom monger, but yet again ATFC appear to be sleep walking

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:39 pm

shotsboy66 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:56 pm
Well Midlands Shot, I feel that fans need something to reach out and get excited about - sad to say I feel that my prediction of finishing 17th is looking rather optimistic!

I take the point you make about Bury FC getting promoted - spending money they did not have it would appear. However, regarding ATFC the situation remains that attendances are dwindling, and unless the BoD do something decisive we could find ourselves up the creek without a paddle - if not already.

I don`t feel at all optimistic at this present moment in time. We shall see how things pan out. Relegation will, I fear see Shots fall into the backwaters like Workington, never to be heard of again.

Sorry to be a doom monger, but yet again ATFC appear to be sleep walking
Have to agree sadly. Even Maidenhead are light years ahead of us in terms of fight (not to mention goal scoring)and the gulf between us and Woking at the moment is embarrassing. We are definitely a dying club ; we remind of clubs like Workington and Southport who just stopped being able to compete. If this was the old Division 4 and re election ,we look like a club that would continually finish 23rd or 24th until the league put us out of our misery and voted us out.
Something is very wrong at the club. People go on about DS being a cheap option, but what would any other manager be able to do ? GW was a top boss and seemed to just give up last season hinting that things were wrong . And anyone we get will have the same situation both DS and GW faced, no players three weeks before the season start and making up a side out of trialists unwanted by any other clubs.
Optimism is at a premium now ; it's hard to see anything other than struggle when it is obvious we are so far behind. Gates are dwindling which further causes problems as we are overly reliant on gate receipts. The only thing that will bring people back-including an influx of newbies, is a competitive side at least doing the business at home, going hand in hand with redevelopment so there's a feel of a club that's going somewhere. It could come about, but it's hard to be optimistic and if we do get relegated we would end up in the backwaters. We'd also probably have to close/demolish parts of the rec as its upkeep (and low gates) would make it unviable . Still. see what happens at Barnet
. It may give us another brief wear of the rose tinted glasses.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:22 pm

I don`t blame Danny Searle for applying for the job,but surely someone did a check on his lack of managerial achievments? The Shots are sinking fast and there will come a time soon when it will be too late for a replacement manager to recover the deficit.

Most importantly, If this poor start continues, fans will stay away and the loss of gate money may have at this tme unknown financial consequencies.

Fans can recognize a turkey when they see it.

HackJowarth

Post by HackJowarth » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Nothing I read on here encourages me to return to The Rec & spend my hard earned cash. Fair play to those of you who still attend, however, there are more folk in the Pub, in Aldershot, at 15.30 on a Saturday, that used to go week in week out, that actually go, from the same pub, these-days .These are the guys the Club need to engage with, however, they are all so disillusioned it would be a hard task.

camberley shot

Post by camberley shot » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:16 pm

Its such a shame really, same as last season ill probably only go 1 out 3 or 4 home games for rest of season. Call me disloyal but its just too much money for what you see. I like DS as a person he comes across really well but I'm doubting his coaching abilities if he wont change things up ( Especially at home )

A good manager is one who changes things that are not working and has plenty of ideas

Barrow weren't even that good either

Staines Shot

Post by Staines Shot » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Very very flat performance. What DS sees in about 10 of these players i don't know. I know its still early and 2 wins in a row completely change things but its looking bleak again. Sad times.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:01 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:43 am
Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:38 pm
Report with photos, our goal and that penalty miss (for those brave enough to want to relive it)...

https://calling-the-shots.com/2019/09/0 ... yet-again/
Enjoy these reports.
Did Shields get scythed down from the penalty rebound just as he was about to tap in ??

I think we were all so fed up he missed we sort of brushed over that.
Thanks.

Well, it was a fantastic tackle once Dixon saved it, by Platt going by the Barrow fans forum.

But in the first place (and you will have seen the video view was good), keeper goes to his left before Shields kicks - I know it's not Harry Kane but all he had to do was kick it into the opposite corner.

Today was the highest number of visitors to Calling The Shots since I started it and most fans at games I speak to know about it.

Because I go to the majority of matches and MY HEART IS STILL INTO this club, I wanted to offer Shots fans something alternative to read.

Some comments would be nice but you can't have everything.

I enjoy doing it and it's all for the cause of ATFC.