Match Day Thread vs BARROW

ExileJohn
Re: Match Day Thread vs BARROW

Post by ExileJohn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:16 am

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:43 am
Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:38 pm
Report with photos, our goal and that penalty miss (for those brave enough to want to relive it)...

https://calling-the-shots.com/2019/09/0 ... yet-again/
Enjoy these reports.
Did Shields get scythed down from the penalty rebound just as he was about to tap in ??

I think we were all so fed up he missed we sort of brushed over that.
you may have enjoyed the calling-the-shots reports but i didnt for the following reason :- the comment about this suicide and suicides in general are insensitive & offensive,and to have a moan about it costing him extra in travel costs is crass,uncareing and total egoistic.I just hope one day he never gets in a similair situation where the only way out is to jump in front of a train.Aldershot as "the home of the British Army" has had and does still have major problems with mental Health issues.It should be up to all of us to understand them and not dismiss them as an inconvience as the author of the call the shots article has done. Here is a more relevant link. https://www.armygarrisons.uk/aldershot- ... ns-172963/

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:04 pm

ExileJohn wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:16 am
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Report with photos, our goal and that penalty miss (for those brave enough to want to relive it)...

Enjoy these reports.
Did Shields get scythed down from the penalty rebound just as he was about to tap in ??

you may have enjoyed the calling-the-shots reports but i didnt for the following reason :- the comment about this suicide and suicides in general are insensitive & offensive,and to have a moan about it costing him extra in travel costs is crass,uncareing and total egoistic.I just hope one day he never gets in a similair situation where the only way out is to jump in front of a train.Aldershot as "the home of the British Army" has had and does still have major problems with mental Health issues.It should be up to all of us to understand them and not dismiss them as an inconvience as the author of the call the shots article has done. Here is a more relevant link. https://www.armygarrisons.uk/aldershot- ... ns-172963/
I don't take exception to this comment because you make a good point.

Although I don't misunderstand or dismiss mental health issues - as someone who has high-functioning autism would know well.

I also see that no-one else at all has dissented on my opinion either there or on social media.

Although they ought to have done.

Having re-read exactly what I posted and how that comes over, it isn't truly my feelings in hindsight.

The comments were throw-away but what I felt at the time - doesn't reflect the kind of person I am or how I would feel if I had given more due care and attention.

With that, I apologise to you and anyone who took offence to those opinions.

Had others commented before now, I would have removed it before now.

I can only learn if someone points it out and thank you for doing just that.
Last edited by Shot By Both Sides on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SHOTSMAN68

Post by SHOTSMAN68 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:06 pm

ExileJohn wrote:
Anon E Mouse wrote:

Enjoy these reports.

Im glad someone has commented on the rather insensitive comments re the suicide, i was going to but didnt want to stir up emotions on this site. However im sure shot by both sides has thought about hes comment since and wishes he had not put it in his post. Hes probably a good guy at heart and was just very frustrated on the day.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm

SHOTSMAN68 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:06 pm
ExileJohn wrote:
Anon E Mouse wrote:

Enjoy these reports.

Im glad someone has commented on the rather insensitive comments re the suicide, i was going to but didnt want to stir up emotions on this site. However im sure shot by both sides has thought about hes comment since and wishes he had not put it in his post. Hes probably a good guy at heart and was just very frustrated on the day.
I rather wish you had because I would have been alerted to it earlier. I have removed both paragraphs and apologised to ExileJohn.

And you are right. I'm a good guy who occasionally might write something insensitive without due care and attention.

The important thing for me is to out it right and learn from it; hopefully I have done that today.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:23 pm

May I suggest that no continuing debate be made on this element of the article as it is a very sensitive subject where the way the comments were made can be interpreted differently by any number of people depending on their own perception. I for example when reading it did not interpret it in an uncaring manner and indeed I thought some sensitivity was being shown to those affected however after re reading it with the hindsight of the more recent posts I can see how Shot By Both Sides comments may have been misinterpreted.

It is clear Shot By Both Sides meant no disrespect and while writing this post I now see that the article has been edited for the benefit of future readers which is a considerate and well meant action.

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Having just watched the highlights of Saturdays game I don’t see what all the moaning about is yet again !!
I’m not saying we were poor but Barrows two goals were very fortunate.
A massive deflection for the first and and a even greater piece of luck for the second.
Apart from the last 10 minutes were we really that bad ?
Just to add we haven’t conceded more than two goals in a game all season which is not the sign of a poor team.
We need to get it right in the last third and hopefully we’ll see an improvement in the coming weeks

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Preston Shot wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:55 pm
Yes and appallingly so. No midfield cohesion the entire first half. Nothing came to life until after Muggins was hauled off. Why does it take our team 75 minutes to wake up?
Preston Shot wrote:
Just to add we haven’t conceded more than two goals in a game all season which is not the sign of a poor team.
Letting in two goals in the first place is the worrying part.

In other news, these lamb rogan Josh flavoured naan chips are delish. :mrgreen:

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:30 am

Preston Shot wrote:
Having just watched the highlights of Saturdays game I don’t see what all the moaning about is yet again !!
A massive deflection for the first and and a even greater piece of luck for the second.
We need to get it right in the last third and hopefully we’ll see an improvement in the coming weeks
A draw (Shotsweb neutral)

A win (Shotsweb silent)

A defeat (The club is heading for oblivion)

That's how it works here Preston Shot

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:02 am

Ancient Shot wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:30 am
Preston Shot wrote:

A win (Shotsweb silent)

I have noticed that this forum is rather doom and gloom and were not even 10 games in yet.
I have seen a third of our games this season and personally think that there as been a big improvement on last seasons performances.
The only negative I can throw in is that we need to start converting our chances and missing penalties doesn't help either, even though I thought the penalty on Saturday was well taken and a good save from their keeper.
Probably a tinker in formation will do the trick.

On Saturday Chorley changed to playing two up front and look at the result that they got against Stockport.....
Note to Danny .........Formation change a must if we are to progress

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:13 am

Haven't seen all the games (don't do Tuesdays) but only Torquay away and Barrow at home were below standard that I have seen. The other games were more encouraging than the tail end of last season

Even against Barrow we had one cleared off the line and that penalty miss which would have given us an undeserved point or three

We do need to get more consistency but as I have said before these are lower grade players trying to make their way at a level that may or may not be too good for some of them so I'm prepared to put up with the odd dose of garbage before holding the last rites for the club

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 am

So on a more positive note, once we go 4-4-2 or find the formation that works best for us and the improved results see us shoot up the table, ShotsWeb will be less doom and gloom.

The gates will also improve and that noise the East Bank makes (second to none IMO) will also increase.

I concur with others about the team not being BAD and there have been good performances, Torquay and Barrow aside.

We have also had a poor run of luck in games and that should change for the better also.

Having made a positive ATFC post, I now need a lie down.

Somerset Shot

Post by Somerset Shot » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 am

Everybody sees the current situation differently from those who have made up their minds already that Danny is not the man for the job to those who consider it far too early to make a fully informed judgment. Personally I maintain that the BoD need to be totally unambiguous with Danny about exactly what is expected and the outcome should targets not be met. Obviously this may already be happening, I guess we would never know for sure.

The measure for success or failure can only really be based on points accumulated over the season. The season can be roughly divided into quarters with key milestones at each point along the way. So after 11 games we should really be looking at a points tally of 13 which, if projected forward, would give us a minimum of 52 points and perhaps as many as 58 which should, in an average National League season, see us clear of relegation. Every club, however poor, will produce the odd unexpected win or "encouraging" performance but that should not be used as a justification for delaying difficult decisions about the suitability of a manager or certain players. To me it is about results over a reasonable period of time.

It remains my view that the BoD should be setting clear targets which are periodically reviewed in detail with the manager. In our case, if we fail to reach 13 points by Match 11 then the consequences of failing to reach 26 points by Match 22 should be clearly laid out.....i.e. Danny, you have a reasonable period of time to put right any shortfall after which you will be replaced if you fail to meet the target (even if Match 22 happens to be a decent win!).

Poor performances will happen to the very best teams in any league but they also have to be put into context. If the shocker against Barrow was set against a backdrop of, say, four wins and a draw or two from our other games then I think more people would be willing to accept it and move on. The problem at the moment is that we are seeing too many worrying performances but, most importantly, only picking up enough points to make us certainties for relegation.

Chobham Shot

Post by Chobham Shot » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:00 am

Preston Shot wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:02 am
Ancient Shot wrote:
Preston Shot wrote:

A win (Shotsweb silent)

I have noticed that this forum is rather doom and gloom and were not even 10 games in yet.
I think the issue for a lot of people is it appears to be a continuation of the 60+ games that preceeded this season. I can fully understand why some people's patience has worn thin.

Had Danny come in following a moderate season of more decent performances than bad, then I believe people would be a little more patient. It's unfortunate for Danny that he will not be afforded that luxury.

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Chobham Shot wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:00 am
Preston Shot wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:02 am
Ancient Shot wrote:

A win (Shotsweb silent)

I think the issue for a lot of people is it appears to be a continuation of the 60+ games that preceeded this season. I can fully understand why some people's patience has worn thin.

Had Danny come in following a moderate season of more decent performances than bad, then I believe people would be a little more patient. It's unfortunate for Danny that he will not be afforded that luxury.

I would also like to add that in 2019 the club have had 15 home fixtures, resulting in NINE losses and just NINE goals scored. That, at any level is truly shocking. The patience of the fans has worn thin. How long will this last? How long are fans expected to fork out £18 and then be expected by some to do it all again in two weeks time?

I do believe that ATFC are now at a crossroads. The club, it would appear can`t afford to be signing strikers, but they can`t afford to lose fans from the terraces either.

Sad to say but what`s happening on the pitch is resulting in apathy off the pitch. Simple as

margateshot

Post by margateshot » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:38 pm

Don't worry people we have the FA Cup and FA trophy to look forward to again soon. Oh!, wait a minute...…………...