Wrexham

DH
Wrexham

Post by DH » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 pm

Don’t shoot the messenger but I have it from someone well connected to the League of Wales that Wrexham have applied to join that league next season. The prospect of European football is the big draw apparently.

Only three teams to be relegated maybe?

Shot By Both Sides
Re: Wrexham

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:52 pm

They may well have applied but would they get in?

"We thank you for your interest but you've been in England far too long, you could hardly be considered Welsh!" :D

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:42 am

The Wrexham fans wouldn’t like it even though they’re fed up with division 5, that league would be 10 times as worse as the conference

CH

Post by CH » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 am

Almost 100% sure only 3 are going down anyway, to counteract only 1 down from League 2

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:12 am

CH wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 am
Almost 100% sure only 3 are going down anyway, to counteract only 1 down from League 2
We had this debate a couple of months ago, some said 3 some said 4, would be funny if fylde were one of them

DH

Post by DH » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 am

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:42 am
The Wrexham fans wouldn’t like it even though they’re fed up with division 5, that league would be 10 times as worse as the conference
Wrexham are a Trust owned club and thus owned by their fans so it is the fans making the application.

Cardiff City, Swansea City & Newport County have to apply for a dispensation to the LoW every season to be allowed to play in the English league. Granting it is a formality but the LoW are apparently not keen on giving dispensations to a club wanting to play as low in the pyramid as National League North.

Hence the apparent application from Wrexham.

My guess is that with their apparent financial difficulties, relegation would be a disaster and the financial benefits of playing in Europe are too tempting.

Andrew Richardson

Post by Andrew Richardson » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:04 am

I doubt finances would be a reason for switching; the most I'm aware of a Welsh pyramid club charging is £7 so Wrexham would either have to take a big hit on gate money or be well out of line in their prices, and there are also fewer games in the Welsh system. A European run would have to be pretty good to cover the shortfall, which would be more difficult as I suspect the team would be weaker than it is at the moment. Having said that, Chester apparently applied to join a few years ago when they were kicked out of our league, but Wrexham's plight isn't as bad as Chester's was then.

I keep my ear to the ground with what's happening in Welsh football and go to a level 1 or 2 match most weeks and I've not heard anything about this, but of course that doesn't mean much :D

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:05 am

DH wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 am
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:42 am
Wrexham are a Trust owned club and thus owned by their fans so it is the fans making the application.

Cardiff City, Swansea City & Newport County have to apply for a dispensation to the LoW every season to be allowed to play in the English league. Granting it is a formality but the LoW are apparently not keen on giving dispensations to a club wanting to play as low in the pyramid as National League North.

Hence the apparent application from Wrexham.

My guess is that with their apparent financial difficulties, relegation would be a disaster and the financial benefits of playing in Europe are too tempting.
I still think the average Wrexham fan wouldn’t be happy with that, they regard Boreham wood, Bromley and fylde etc as tin pot clubs so god knows what they would think of their tiny Welsh counterparts!

Somerset Shot

Post by Somerset Shot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:07 am

If Wrexham (and others) are permitted to play in the English league system, in this era of equality for all should Aldershot apply for the Welsh league to secure our rightful place in the Champions League? 😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

DH

Post by DH » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:24 pm

Andrew Richardson wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:04 am
I doubt finances would be a reason for switching; the most I'm aware of a Welsh pyramid club charging is £7 so Wrexham would either have to take a big hit on gate money or be well out of line in their prices, and there are also fewer games in the Welsh system. A European run would have to be pretty good to cover the shortfall, which would be more difficult as I suspect the team would be weaker than it is at the moment. Having said that, Chester apparently applied to join a few years ago when they were kicked out of our league, but Wrexham's plight isn't as bad as Chester's was then.

I keep my ear to the ground with what's happening in Welsh football and go to a level 1 or 2 match most weeks and I've not heard anything about this, but of course that doesn't mean much :D
I rubbished the idea when I was told it for pretty much the reasons you outline. But the person who I had the conversation with is well connected to the LoW so, whilst I'm not suggesting it is gospel truth, there's no smoke without fire.

The same person incidentally told me that Barry Town's takings for their brief appearance in Europe this year were extremely large and I guess more than enough to cover a drop in income from league fixtures and with a club of their size European football would almost be guaranteed every season.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:02 pm

I’ve just had a look on ‘redpassion’ and there isn’t any mention of this (admittedly I only looked on their current page :- http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/

Ian M

Post by Ian M » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:32 pm

I'd be really shocked if this is true. I've seen a few WL games on the TV as we get the, down our way. It isnt good.....

scorp

Post by scorp » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Somerset Shot wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:07 am
If Wrexham (and others) are permitted to play in the English league system, in this era of equality for all should Aldershot apply for the Welsh league to secure our rightful place in the Champions League? 😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Only if all genders [and there seems to be several, if not many, these days] are represented in the team. :lol:

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:01 pm

If true, I would imagine it would be Wrexham Reserves /Academy or similar they would be trying to get entered as there would be very little for a club of Wrexham's size and history in the Welsh League. They could "blood" a few players with Euro football if the B squad gets through, but it would be unlikely they'd get past a qualifying round. Might make the B squad/ academy pay for itself though.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:02 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:12 am
CH wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 am
We had this debate a couple of months ago, some said 3 some said 4, would be funny if fylde were one of them
"Hugely satisfying" is the expression you're looking for DP :D