Post by lowerbourneshot » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Alex wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:29 pm
lowerbourneshot wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:01 pm
Alex wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:49 am
I think we’ll take 120-150
Could do i reckon at least a ton. We have a non supporting shots fan from the north with us.
Definitely be a much better effort than the Spireites at our place on Saturday. Under 100 for a club their size!
TBF they are boycotting.

Shot By Both Sides
Re: Barrow

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:31 pm

I have a route there and back that does not involve SWR so it's a normal train run, I was thinking local Shots fans would only have to get to Basingstoke to pick up the Virgin cross country Manchester to Picadilly service.

I am sure we will better the 94 travellers from Chesterfield; for a club that pulls 4000 home fans regularly that was appalling (boycott or not).

COME ON THE SHOTS!

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:41 pm

Quite a War And Peace effort from one of the Barrow boys on their scrapbook...
the drug seen and the women aint that great either cheekys is crap not a lot to do in town head for guildford althogh soldier image is slowly fading basingstoke better class of people fleet nice restaurants
some of the best people i ever knew live there, and some of the worst....its both awsome in its gritty wonderfull way...and can be quite the oppisite....i grew up there and still miss it...yet i dont think id go back........very wierd lol
robert furlong
Absolutely everything
The Cricketers in Tongham is one of the most unfriendly places I have ever been in. Everyone stares at you when you go in and the service is unfriendly.
The worst things are the large groups of chavs who insist on travelling together in large gangs, also the 'strange' people who walk the streets of west end late at night, from personal experience do not walk alone very late at night or in the early hours of the morning through westend. Unless you're looking for a drunken fight.
the worst thing is the town centre, the shops there are aaawful. Go to guildford or woking for good shops.
The chavs. Definitely the chavs. Connaught School. Council estates. The Court building and police station. The crime, drugs, violence, abuse and fear factor. The graffiti. The lack of entertainment. The lack of good places to eat. North Town- and how rough it's getting. The town centre- and how rough it's getting. The lies the council tell. The fact we don't even have a council in Aldershot. The fact Aldershot gets looked down upon by towns like Farnham and Fleet that think they are All That. Um how long have you got?
the gavers
The Wellington Centre, Civilians and overpriced bad beer.
Drugies everywhere.No cinema, some nutter shut it.
The so called 'A Company'. A bunch of football hooligans that hunt in packs. on match day
the growing CHAV SKUM burrery /gold chains/ silly little baceball caps/ fags /bad perms/ sovrin rings/ bleach yellow hair with 3" black roots/ dangrous bread of dog walking unleashed. JUST DONT DO IT
The burberry clothed 'football' supporters - [SwearFilter]
Police Station/health Centre/princes hall/Army admin buildings. Might have looked good in the 70's but are positively awful now.
Things taking too long to happen to turn the town round
People continuously knocking a town that doesn't deserve such negative comments. The real people of Aldershot are friendly, fiesty and fun. The real people are the local residents and the military families.
Unless the army disappears from Aldershot, and something viable replaces the income it brings, then the place is always going to deserve its reputation for fighting.
The reputation it seems to have - completly ridiculous! and probably a rumour started by someone from snobby Surrey!
......are yet to come apparently
Aldershot was the scariest place I've ever been, and I live in Brixton. I was there on a Saturday night and went to one pub, The Goose, and desperately tried (along with my friends) not to make eye contact with anyone. Didn't go near Yates' Wine Lodge or Cheeks nightclub as I was fearful of my life by this point...the whole town is reminiscent of Royston Vasey in League of Gentlemen...
Army boys giving the town a bad name
Aldershot is a town that is slowly dying. The Army have all but moved out-lots of places closed down town. Its a shame because there is a lot of history here.
The younger squaddies who haven't learnt that they are supposed to defend Britain, not randomly beat up it's inhabitants!
Nowhere to eat decent food.
Aldershot is full of squadies who will try and [SwearFilter] any thing with two legs and a hole!!!
RRushmoor Bourough council
The worst thing about Aldershot are those people who choose to constantly diss the place and put it down. Aldershot doesnt need people like you.
THUGS, PIKIES, that sort a people
North Town - getting rougher all the tme, the council are putting more of the rough with the rougher.
Town centre feels pretty low rent. Considered a poor man's alternative to Farnham, Guildford, Fleet Etc.
Having been brought up there I feel qualified to say that it is the biggest dump on the planet! However, if you are into observing low-lifes and morons then this is the place for you!
The town centre isn't as bad as people make out. However, Cheeks is nasty. The bouncer's girlfriends are bad news. They have a tendency to beat up on any girl that walks through the door. DON'T go there.
Avoid the town centre on a Thursday. It's full of Squaddies. Thursday being the only night they're allowed in to Cheeks, the local nightspot. WARNING: It's not the squaddies you have to look out for. It's all the local knobheads who want a ruck with them.
People who think its squadivile its not plain and simple.
Aldershot Town FC have a psycopathic hooligan element which the club does not seem to discourage to any great extent.
How long have you got??
So many boarded up shops - all the best shops leave us - the old arcade was the best but that went a few years ago and is surly missed by us residents. Parking is now terrible! Too many bloody traffic wardens these days! Also lots of 'resident permit holders only' areas have been introduced lately.
The teenage girls pushing buggies along the street with scraped back hair and tonnes of make-up.
The skate Park (Greeboland)
The narrow minded few......
The bad name that Aldershot has got for itsself. This is not true!! Its one of the best places around and is seriously under-rated by too many people.
Over eager security and really gnarly gangs of townies/kevs.
The Army.
Three sex shops and i'm straight edge!
Burger King! Dodgy pubs - I wouldn't risk it myself.
Having moved into Arthur ST on a Thursday i wittnessed a murder right outside my front door on the Saturday. Gosh i should work for the Aldershot tourist board.
Jeremy Hardy (reasonably well known comedian) once commented that he felt great sympathy for Catholics in Northern Ireland, as he too was brought up in a town under military occupation. He was born in Aldershot. Nuff said.
Love it! :lol:

I reckon if MES was still ALIVE AND KICKING he'd make The NWRA Mk II out of that lot.

I'm a mess of my AGE. I'm a mess of my RACE. Fill the rest in YOURSELF.

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Funny thing is, he’s not wrong is he?

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:17 pm

Nope.

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm

Makes you proud to live in Preston :lol:

Where is this psycho hooligan firm we have as I’ve yet to be introduced to them :mrgreen:

Chobham Shot

Post by Chobham Shot » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 pm

That Barrow nutter contradicts himself a fair bit!

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:02 am

It's nowt like Royston Vasey! Aldershot is a local town for local people. We'll have no trouble here.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 am

When reading that rather long list of observations on Aldershot it is worth remembering that at least being in Rushmoor it is part of the happiest place to live in the UK https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wellbe ... -rushmoor/ :D

Anyone want to go and post that link on the Barrow message board :lol:

Aldershot Gas

Post by Aldershot Gas » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:59 pm

A reminder to anyone traveling by train - I heard rumours getting back will be challenging with no Replacement Dist Service - so worth checking before travelling !

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Aldershot Gas wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:59 pm
A reminder to anyone traveling by train - I heard rumours getting back will be challenging with no Replacement Dist Service - so worth checking before travelling !
:shock: Carrying enough ale for a 7 hour journey back is the only challenge for VET ,but it's never a burden.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 pm

From their forum:
I personally think we still haven’t hit form, we’re playing very well but so wasteful, one day soon we’re going to put 7 or 8 past someone. Just a matter of time
:( I sure hope it's not going to be us. Dagenham was bad enough.

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:34 am

I've just seen a pig fly over my house. :lol:

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:07 am

With the development of North Town and Wellesley, increasing the percentage of home owners in Aldershot, coupled with the decreasing number of soldiers, the town is perceptively taking on a new image.
I can only hope the local council will realise this and encourage business into the town.
There is a lot of talk about car emissions but the trend is to travel 10 miles or more to do shopping, or worse still shop on line, depriving local people of jobs.
I know supermarkets like Tesco and Sainsbury are doing a decent job, trying to fill the clothing market but fall short when it comes to trendy fashion. Perhaps that's something they could look into. Loads of racks of tightly packed clothes squeezed into a corner of the shop is hardly a good image. The attraction for them is a captive audience.
Surely their must come a time when someone will take a gamble, with help from the Council before the town centre is totally converted into flats.

Plastered Paul

Post by Plastered Paul » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:59 pm

lowerbourneshot wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:11 pm
Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:48 am
Preston Shot wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:20 am
We'll be taking 300 remember up there , that's obviously been allocated to the estimate :lol: :lol: :lol:
I reckon about 100. The norvern branch and a few suvvern stragglers.

https://calling-the-shots.com/2019/12/0 ... weekender/
Now if only we could of ticked The Ship inn on Piel Island.
Cracking boozer on the little Island, Great walk around the boundry of the Island certainly clears away the cobwebs.